Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-08-2018, 10:52 AM   #181
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
If anyone has any advice on cell phone purchasing, please shed some light...I feel like I am financially assaulted every time my phone is upgraded.
I felt that way too, and my iPhone was broken and barely working. When I saw what Verizon wanted for the latest iPhones, I was fed up!

So, in January I went to Cricket Wireless, and got a $30/month plan with a free LG phone. FREE - - $0.00 for the phone. Actually I am extremely happy with this arrangement. I can hear callers better on my LG phone on Cricket, than I ever could hear them with my iPhone on Verizon.

I don't suppose that this solution would appeal to many here, but just thought I'd mention it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2018, 07:58 PM   #182
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Thanks for the information and link! VERY interesting and useful. After reading this, I also checked YouTube and there are several video reviews of the 2019 Rav4. I have been considering the Rav4 among the top 3 "contenders" when I buy my new SUV later this year (I am in no rush to buy, but will eventually).

It is possible that I might prefer the 2019 Rav4 to the present Rav4 because apparently it has more cargo space. Definitely one to think about, when I decide to buy my new SUV.

I agree! My list of what I want is,

(1) Two rows of seats instead of 3 rows
(2) remote entry
(3) push button ignition
(4) moderate to ample cargo space (not tiny/cramped),
(5) remote power tailgate operation (preferably using the key fob as with my Venza),
(6) excellent expected repair record, and
(6) Given the above, the least amount of excess electronics possible.
If the 2018 RAV4 engine is the same 2.5 liter 4 cylinder that they put in my 2010 Highlander, don't expect anywhere near the EPA estimates. The Highlander averaged around 19 mpg. Yes, it's a heavier car. However, the 2015 Lexus RX 350 with the 3.5 liter 6 cylinder is averaging close to 22 mpg. So unless they redesign the engine, I would pass on the 4 cylinder RAV4.

Say, W2R, don't you think you would look better in a Lexus SUV anyway? You could blow some of that dough...
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:08 PM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I'm in a similar situation as you, we have a few small local dealers but the two major cities are 80/200 miles away. I didn't have much luck using TrueCar, had better luck just working directly with the dealers Internet manager and playing the offers off among them. I prefer to buy local and have had good luck getting them to match any offers from the dealers in the two major cities, they seem use to it and even expect it.

In my case for some reason in a county of 40k we have only GM Ford and Chrysler dealers no foreign dealers. The nearest foreign dealer is 40 mi away.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:38 AM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
If the 2018 RAV4 engine is the same 2.5 liter 4 cylinder that they put in my 2010 Highlander, don't expect anywhere near the EPA estimates. The Highlander averaged around 19 mpg. Yes, it's a heavier car. However, the 2015 Lexus RX 350 with the 3.5 liter 6 cylinder is averaging close to 22 mpg. So unless they redesign the engine, I would pass on the 4 cylinder RAV4.
Yeah that's why I've been avoiding the RAV4 even with the current deals, the 2.5 is a slug and doesn't get the MPG that is advertised (this has been widely reported by multiple reviews).

I drove a RAV4 Hybrid and it's also a slug with an annoying CVT, no way could I live with that. You have to bury the throttle to get it to go from a stop which is the exact same experience I had with an older Nissan Rogue w/CVT that I also drove. I hate CVTs. The search continues...
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:49 AM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I go with "Buy your own phone"... I have a Motorola/Lenovo Moto G4 Play that cost ~$150 from BestBuy about a year and a half ago IIRC and totally fits my modest needs... I have no need for a $500 or $800 phone when a $150 phone does the job well.
+1

My Moto G5 (4GB RAM/64GB storage, 5.2" screen) was under $200 new last year from BestBuy.

The $249 Moto G6 just came out, with a larger, 5.7" screen, but with only 3GB RAM/32GB storage, so I won't be upgrading.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:18 AM   #186
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post

Say, W2R, don't you think you would look better in a Lexus SUV anyway? You could blow some of that dough...
I really don't care all that much about the mpg, because I drive about 3000 miles/year or less so I don't use much gasoline. My Venza (with the bigger engine) gets worse mileage than your Highlander, although that is partly because I just drive it on short trips in traffic near home. The engine is too powerful; if I stuck my foot in it, I'd be in low earth orbit so I'd rather have a smaller engine.

I would love a Lexus if it met my other criteria! I am just not familiar with their models. I'll check out the RX350, thanks.

Edited to add: After looking on the internet, so far I love it!!! Thanks, it's on my list too, now.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #187
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love my 2016 RAV4 Hybrid - great mileage (34 mpg winter and 36 mpg summer) and faster acceleration than the gas only RAV4. Great highway traveling vehicle.
Al18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 02:42 PM   #188
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

At some point over the next two years (or perhaps sooner) it will either be a RAV4 or a CRV for us.

These comments have been very useful. Thanks.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:42 PM   #189
Full time employment: Posting here.

I also wanted to mention all of the RAV4 Hybrids are AWD with no mpg penalty. The rear wheels are powered by an electric motor - on demand.
Al18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:36 PM   #190
Recycles dryer sheets

For those looking at Rav4 and Cr/v, also look at the Subaru Forester. I looked and studied them all and bought the Forester in February. In the first 6700 miles, I have averaged 32.1 mpg and it has a real 4 wheel drive system. Just saying give it a look. I had a Camry Hybrid and love hybrids, but did not love the Rav4 hybrid. YMMV. I do try for MPG, so you may get somewhat less mpg.
Dave J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:05 PM   #191
Give me a forum ...

^^^^Good idea, but wrong model.... the Outback is a much better car than the Forester.... longer wheelbase and better ride.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:39 AM   #192
Recycles dryer sheets

pb4uski,
I was responding to Brett who was looking at CR-V and Rav 4. The Forester is the most similar Subaru to those two. Quality, or better car, the Outback and Forester are extremely similar in build,base engine, transmissions ect. They sell within a few thousand units of each other every year . I started out looking at Outback. Some people say, you are either a Forester person, or a Outback person. I ended up being a Forester person. I could see so much better out of the Forester. YMMV.Do you own either?
Old 06-11-2018, 06:32 AM   #193
Give me a forum ...

Does anyone have an experience if there is an issues with the RAV4 Hybrid with the electric part of it or any hybrid that has two sources of power?

I drove a Honda hybrid many years ago and was very impressed with acceleration and over all driving experience.

I for one want MPG efficiency and the Civics are very good on fuel. I have an older Civic and HWY I get 38 to 42 MPG. I love being frugal even if I can afford more for gas.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:11 AM   #194
Recycles dryer sheets

I own a 2014 Prius and did own a 2012 Camry Hybrid. They are/were both bulletproof as far as I know. My needs changed is the only reason I sold the Camry. AFAIK, the Toyota hybrids are all great. Honda may be, just there is not as much history on them that I have read.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:58 AM   #195
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Does anyone have an experience if there is an issues with the RAV4 Hybrid with the electric part of it or any hybrid that has two sources of power?............
I had an Escape hybrid for years and though I had a lot of front suspension problems (common parts to non-hybrid), the hybrid parts / systems performed perfectly over the decade that I had it. Toyota / Honda hybrids seem to ultra reliable.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:12 PM   #196
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
At some point over the next two years (or perhaps sooner) it will either be a RAV4 or a CRV for us.

These comments have been very useful. Thanks.
I had a Crv and was not happy with it . The paint started coming off in blotches and the air went at 32,000 miles . I traded it in for a Rv4XLE which I so far I love .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:53 PM   #197
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
pb4uski,
I was responding to Brett who was looking at CR-V and Rav 4. The Forester is the most similar Subaru to those two. Quality, or better car, the Outback and Forester are extremely similar in build,base engine, transmissions ect. They sell within a few thousand units of each other every year . I started out looking at Outback. Some people say, you are either a Forester person, or a Outback person. I ended up being a Forester person. I could see so much better out of the Forester. YMMV.Do you own either?
That's why I got the Forester. I could tell very little difference when driving them (2014s). For the same price I could get leather seats instead of the cheap looking cloth in the Outback. At the time it had X-Drive and the Outback didn't, and while most might never use it, I do on my steep roads when snowy. But the big factor was the "greenhouse'; I've never had a car I could see so well out of. Btw, I really like the CVT and don't have any of the problems that another poster had with a different brand.

I could see how the Outback would handle most cargo better with more width and length, but you also have to park that extra size. I can also see how the handling would be better but as I said I really couldn't tell the diff when new. I'll consider both again when it's time to replace, but I regret nothing about my purchase.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:07 PM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
^^^^Good idea, but wrong model.... the Outback is a much better car than the Forester.... longer wheelbase and better ride.
1. What is the advantage of a longer wheelbase?

2. In what way is the ride better in the Outback?
Old 06-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #199
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
1. What is the advantage of a longer wheelbase?

2. In what way is the ride better in the Outback?
Next, can we argue over which is better - chocolate or vanilla ice cream? Because I have a pretty damn strong case for chocolate.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:23 PM   #200

Ha!

Outback vs Forester ....

Don’t own either ....have driven and ridden in both.

Read extensively in both - just for grins.

Outback by a long shot.
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote