Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-14-2017, 09:59 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations on your FIRE plans.
I retired at 60, so not unexpectedly younger, but early enough. I never received any questions about specific money details. When asked how I planned it, I used the opportunity to discuss LBYM, and savings options through work (IRA, def comp, etc) It was amazing to me how many younger generation folks were NOT putting anything aside!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2017, 10:33 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
My approach would be not to do or say anything that suggests that I'm FI to avoid inciting jealousy, and otherwise not care what anyone else thinks. However, this approach might not fit your personality or your local culture.
+1

Congratulations!

I FIRE'd in my mid 40's, but I didn't want any real questions so I came up with a semi-plausible cover story. I told a few close friends from w*rk what really happened, but that's it. A couple of other people suspected the truth, but never mentioned it. So there are probably rumors...

Plausible stories can be about anything: going into business with family, real estate, consulting, financial services, etc.

FB

Old 02-14-2017, 10:42 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I would favor, and plan to use next year , some statements along the lines of "this is what can happen if you LBYM and save everything you can - I started early" in order to spread the word of what is possible, and help bring people around - especially for those who have enough time left to make a difference.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:17 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When anyone asked me how I was able to retire at 45, I gave them a short, quick answer: "No kids, no debts." That ended the conversation in a hurry.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:29 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

My CFO just asked how old I was, smiled at the answer and said congrats. It is still not public at work, but a few friends now know. The typical questions/comments are: 1) what are you going to do with all your free time, 2) are you just taking a break and then finding something new, 3) You lucky dog, 4) I hate you, I'm so jealous, but really congrats and I am happy for you.

If I say anything, it is usually something along the lines of, I have been very fortunate in my career, saved and invested wisely and am now in a position to spend more time with my young kids, beautiful wife and aging parents. If they pipe off with you are going to be bored, I just name a few hobbies that I love and they usually say that is so awesome. I try to stay humble and downplay it as much as possible.

No one has asked how much money I have saved or what my NW is.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:27 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you everyone for your responses! I expect it will be equally smooth at my w*rk, but it was good to hear how it went for you.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:13 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I got, "I'm envious! Take me with you!"

and

"Are you coming back as a contractor?"

and

"You're too young to retire" (meant as a compliment, not a criticism. Nobody really thought I was too young).
Old 02-14-2017, 04:32 PM   #28

Congrats on your plans. I am also targeting giving the same notification around the March/April timeframe. The main thing I have observed, for those ant my job who already FIREd. was that they did it quietly and humbly. Most gave simple answers - as mentioned above - to "what will you do now?" They never discussed their financial situation - even when some nosy pressed, the most they would say is "we are going to live modestly, we think we'll be fine". I'm going to follow their lead.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:41 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think most people in the workplace understand that they are not owed any detailed explanation about a retiree's financial details. If they think otherwise, they are being nosy.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:22 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
I/we was/were blessed, and am/are eternally grateful. The plan came together.
Along the same lines, my response was merely "we've been fortunate." Never got a follow-up question to that response, and it avoided any discussion of LBYM.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:26 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I worked in an engineering environment. My peers were around my age, some are close, others need more time, but all were supportive, and asked few questions.

I was actually more impressed by some of the younger ones, who "get it". They save, LBYM and want to retire early. Hopefully future members here!
Old 02-15-2017, 07:17 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Nobody asked me anything about dough.

Just the usual;

What are you going to do?
Are you going to move?

Stuff like that.
+1

Cut down to 16 hrs/week last year. Thought it was interesting that people referred to me as "semi-retired" instead of "part-timer".

Nobody brought up finances.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:32 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper66 View Post
Everyone handles things differently. For me, it didn't really bother me what others thought or said. I made the final decision to retire on a weekend, told my boss and his boss on Monday, and started making plans to turnover my job to others almost immediately. When people asked, I just told them the truth.... I felt like it was a good time to retire and I was fortunate enough to be able to handle it financially. I was really looking forward to more free time with my family and I wished them all the very best. I've actually kept up with several of them and still enjoy talking to them. No one asked intimate financial questions and I would have just politely refused answers if they had.

BTW - Congradulations that you can ER!
Pretty much exactly how it went for me.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:11 PM   #34
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm kind of in the same boat. My goal (12 months to go and counting), is to retire from my profession and continue doing various things that interest me. Semi-retirement is what I am shooting for. I am already hearing the questions from people I have told. Like, "What are you going to do?" My answer: "Whatever I want."

I have some ideas, but all of them center on things that are outside my current profession (where folks usually retire from one place and just move to another similar place with similar headaches and demands).

I haven't told my co-workers yet, but I can think of at least one that will likely be jealous. But the reality is, that person probably has bills and responsibilities that are making him miserable. I can't control that.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:05 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I've about decided that I'm going to tell the people I like the truth- maybe we'll have a conversation about it. The people I don't like I'm going to reply that I have decided to be a stay at home mom- which I have found to be a conversation ender (to my mostly male colleagues anyway)! That might not be an option for you though!
Old 02-15-2017, 10:08 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I told coworkers I was focusing on my real estate and investments, and most were excited for me. Some figured out that this would require much less time and asked the obligatory "What will you do all day?" Only a couple wanted to know my secret, to which I replied, "Buy real estate... a long time ago," before going into a better explanation. I was careful to not refer to this period as retirement, but if others called it that I just chuckled. How great would THAT be?
Old 02-16-2017, 07:10 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been asked this question (what do you do all day?) a lot lately. I think most people don't really want to know what you do during the day, but rather they are thinking what they might do in retirement. I have prepared a short list of things that I share. And then maybe ask them what they might do all day when retired, or what they do, now they are retired. Occasionally I might respond with "Why do you ask?", to help them clarify why they are asking, and to help me understand why they are asking. Do they want some suggestions on how to navigate this new part of their life?

A few people don't realize it's an inherently intrusive question, and continue to probe. Unfortunately it's usually a relative. "No, what do you DO all day?!" I haven't used this answer yet, but I might try it out sometime.
"Well you know, it's a real problem. Since I retired I've found I've become a real busybody, and feel the need to pry into other people's affairs. Do you think I should see a counselor?"
Old 02-16-2017, 10:44 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBGoode View Post
All -

Yes, I can say I will be w*rking at our small business, but there is no way folks won't know it is a tremendous pay cut compared with profitable high-tech firm and wouldn't be an option for them if they were in my shoes.

Thanks!
Why would they need to know this? If you don't want questions, I would just say exactly that - "DW and I have a small business and I want to dedicate myself to that."
Old 02-16-2017, 01:20 PM   #39
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
I've about decided that I'm going to tell the people I like the truth- maybe we'll have a conversation about it. The people I don't like I'm going to reply that I have decided to be a stay at home mom- which I have found to be a conversation ender (to my mostly male colleagues anyway)! That might not be an option for you though!
@ugeauxgirl - You know, I'm just silly enough to use that line ("To be a stay at home mom")!

I am also considering, "To go live under a bridge." or "Going to become a sugar daddy."
Old 02-16-2017, 03:33 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retirement Nerd View Post
"Going to become a sugar daddy."
Or: "Going to look for a sugar mommy" 😎