Join Early Retirement Today

How to Handle This $$ Tranaction
Old 05-03-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How to Handle This $$ Tranaction

I'm possibly going to buy a boat that is about 300 miles from my location.
The boat is currently financed which means no clear title.
Before I head off into the sunset, I'd like to know what I can expect/demand to insure I can drive away without a major mess.
My first thought is that we can all show up at the bank, pass some cash and have the title signed over to me after which I can apply for a new one.
However, I don't know if that is too much to expect from the bank on short notice. There also is the possibility that the bank in question could be out of town.

Any recommendations on how I can cover my butt on this transaction??
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2009, 05:02 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Are you using a boat broker? Do you have a contract? I have not been in that kind of situation with a boat but believe it is handled like buying a house with a mortgage.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:10 AM   #3
Administrator

This thread may shed some light on the issues
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ale-43437.html
Old 05-04-2009, 07:03 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-One View Post
Are you using a boat broker? Do you have a contract? I have not been in that kind of situation with a boat but believe it is handled like buying a house with a mortgage.
F-one, this is from a private buyer. No contract as of yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
This thread may shed some light on the issues
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ale-43437.html
Yup, that thread was spot on. Answered many questions and raised several caution flags.
One of the problems with boats is that you can end up with 3 titles. Boat, motor, and trailer. Three times the opportunity for a problem. I'm starting to see why this boat is sitting.
I'm going to ask him what his solution is and investigate that. If it seems plausible I'll shoot him a low ball offer a hope for the best.
In the interim, I'm seaching for a better/cleaner deal.
With any luck at all, the market will wipe out all my recent gains and I'll be able to forget the whole thing..
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:12 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-One View Post
I will heartily second the boat broker recommendation for any boat over 16'.
In other words, you hire a boat broker to represent you as the buyer. Broker will perform a bow-to-stern inspection for seaworthiness, arrange for a floating test run with owner operating the vessel (insist on this), handling paperwork - submitting your bid, checking titles, etc etc.
I sold a 34' Pearson sailboat and used a broker. The 10% commission was well worth it. No headaches.
Here's some info for you for CA laws, as an example.
http://www.dbw.ca.gov/FAQ/ConsProtect.aspx
Google "licensed boat brokers your state" for the applicable laws in your area.