Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-23-2018, 02:51 PM   #21
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by flimmy View Post
Sounds like you work for the same co I do. On $600k mine is dropping $51,000 on July 2nd
Wow, you're taking a worse beating than me! If you don't mind telling, how many years do you have and how old are you?
myfire123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2018, 01:53 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfire123 View Post
Wow, you're taking a worse beating than me! If you don't mind telling, how many years do you have and how old are you?

I'm 50 yrs old and just got 30 yrs in March. I'm not going to be able to retire next week due to still owing about $70k on my house. So I'm going to see what my options are and watch the lump sum for the rest of the year and see if I can make it happen by then. Worse case is I wait until the house is paid off in 4 yrs. Not the end of the world but it sucks seeing the lump sum drop like that.
flimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:31 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm 50 yrs old and just got 30 yrs in March. I'm not going to be able to retire next week due to still owing about $70k on my house. So I'm going to see what my options are and watch the lump sum for the rest of the year and see if I can make it happen by then. Worse case is I wait until the house is paid off in 4 yrs. Not the end of the world but it sucks seeing the lump sum drop like that.

If you lump sum payout is dropping $51K in a month and it does it a couple of months it would be best to take the lump sum and pay off the mtg with the extra money....

But I would only pay off the mtg if interest rates are high.... that is a different thread...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:36 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

GATT rates were standard practice when I worked in the biz. They take your immediate monthly benefit and multiply it by the GATT rate for the month you retire. Where I worked the actuaries determined the GATT rate. Rates are so low that even a small change will make a big difference as noted above.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:05 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
If you lump sum payout is dropping $51K in a month and it does it a couple of months it would be best to take the lump sum and pay off the mtg with the extra money....

But I would only pay off the mtg if interest rates are high.... that is a different thread...
I'm pretty sure the mortgage intrest rate is 3% .

The dropin the jump sum is on July 2nd and I wont be able to make that decision that fast. I planned on retiring in 4 yrs then heard about the drop in lump sum for a few guys at work that decided to retire now. One problem I have is my emergency fund isn't as high as I would like it to be or to the level that my wife is comfortable with either. The calculate the lump sum using the rate in thev2nd mo of ea quarter. So come Aug I will know what it will be ea mo for the next quarter.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:29 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the mortgage intrest rate is 3% .

The dropin the jump sum is on July 2nd and I wont be able to make that decision that fast. I planned on retiring in 4 yrs then heard about the drop in lump sum for a few guys at work that decided to retire now. One problem I have is my emergency fund isn't as high as I would like it to be or to the level that my wife is comfortable with either. The calculate the lump sum using the rate in thev2nd mo of ea quarter. So come Aug I will know what it will be ea mo for the next quarter.

But if you lose about $50,000 every time the ST interest rate is raised by .25% you have another $100,000 lose coming this year and maybe $75,000 next... it really will not be that much as the losses will get smaller as you balance gets smaller, but ignoring the potential loss could be big money....

It might be more advantageous to quit, take the lump sum and get a job somewhere else... even for less money you would be ahead of the game..
Old 06-24-2018, 10:34 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
But if you lose about $50,000 every time the ST interest rate is raised by .25% you have another $100,000 lose coming this year and maybe $75,000 next... it really will not be that much as the losses will get smaller as you balance gets smaller, but ignoring the potential loss could be big money....

It might be more advantageous to quit, take the lump sum and get a job somewhere else... even for less money you would be ahead of the game..
+1
If s/he waits 4 years, s/he will OWE them money as a lump sum when s/he retires
Old 06-29-2018, 05:00 AM   #28

Well I did it , I retired yesterday.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:05 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:14 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well I did it , I retired yesterday.

If this saved you the $51K, then that is a very smart move...

And as mentioned before, if you think you still need to work then find another job somewhere else for a few years... OR, just wait a few months and go back to your company... if they need skilled workers they probably would take you back and you still have your money...
Old 06-29-2018, 12:31 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

So... that means... how to hedge against loss in lump sum value due to gatt rate rising = retire!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:43 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I always liked the concept of "it's not retiring, the company is just paying you a lot not to come to work". In other words you could find another job.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:50 PM   #33
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post

Besides the better answer by braumeister .

How to hedge would be to NOT take the lump sum. I am guessing that their lumpsum is going down as interest rates go up. The idea being that the lumpsum would equate to some pension amount over X years.

That is exactly how my company pension lump sum payout worked.

Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:53 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Anybody know the current rate? I tried to look it up but April is the latest rate I can find... and it did not change much from the previous months..

2018 GATT Rates % December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April 3.07
March 3.09%
February 3.13%
January 2.88%
GATT is a constructed 30 year treasury rate
Old 06-29-2018, 12:55 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveyoga View Post
GATT rates were standard practice when I worked in the biz. They take your immediate monthly benefit and multiply it by the GATT rate for the month you retire. Where I worked the actuaries determined the GATT rate. Rates are so low that even a small change will make a big difference as noted above.
the minimum lump sum is equal to the benefit at NRD times a deferred annuity factor using 417e interest and mortality
Old 06-29-2018, 12:58 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm wondering if if any of you smart FIRE people can tell me if there is any way for a person to protect against this?
yes, take the annuity
Old 06-29-2018, 01:01 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This is why I need to find out exactly how the lump sum amount is figured out, because I seem to be losing $45k on only a $619K lump sum. This seems excessive.
the present value of your pension has a duration that actually increases when interest rates decrease, this is called convexity

when interest rates are low, a small change in interest rate can cause a large change in a present value

if you want to find out exactly how your lump sum is calculated you can try the plan administrator, or you can hire an employee benefits actuary

the theory behind using "current" interest rates to calculate lump sums is that it theoretically allows one to take the lump sum and purchase an equivalent annuity from a third party, although that seldom happens
Old 06-29-2018, 01:06 PM   #38
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

So... that means... how to hedge against loss in lump sum value due to gatt rate rising = retire!

But what about a possible inverted yield curve ?
Interest rates are going up now... but...

Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:46 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
GATT is a constructed 30 year treasury rate

Constructed by what? The 30 year treasury is not changing much either... heck, going down the last 2 months..

Jan 2.98
Feb 3.13
Mar 2.97
Apr 3.11
May 3.00
Jun 2.97
Old 06-29-2018, 03:04 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Constructed by what? The 30 year treasury is not changing much either... heck, going down the last 2 months..

Jan 2.98
Feb 3.13
Mar 2.97
Apr 3.11
May 3.00
Jun 2.97
after GATT became effective for lump sump calculations, which I believe was in 97 or so, they stopped selling 30 year bonds so the rate was essentially made up until they started selling them again. that's why I said constructed

do you guys think I just make this stuff up?

Tags
gatt, interest rates, lump sum, pension