Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-12-2007, 11:13 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcv56 View Post
tired to edit last post but learning the site still.
Single 3rd time ( 10 years now and counting).
Just bought house in East Tennessee for a home base!
Seems like you might be highly qualified to offer us your hard-won ideas on the interactions of love, marriage, and money.

Care to try?

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2007, 11:32 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

wcv, I work in the industry at a fund that has an excellent track record and appears to be reputable (I certainly haven't seen anything shady going on). But I know that its OK because I work here. Institutional investors have staffs of very sophisticated people doing due diligence on the hedge funds they invest in. I don't know what individual investors do to get comfy with handing a pile of cash to a manager of a lightly regulated offshore fund.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:48 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Well as I am being paid while I post and work for myself
I spend more time reading about investing and other peoples
opinions on stuff. Be a good listener I would say and if you take care of work everything else will be easier and what it ends up being will be. The road down was harder than the road up and faster. Those that say money is not everything most likely never had any they had to work for. Smart can be simple too!
Old 10-12-2007, 11:58 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Brewer
I don't have any offshore funds but all my funds do invesnt a considerable amount overseas. I would agree with you on most hedge funds are on the straight and narrow as they also have their
money in the fund also. I cannot say that is so for the billion dollar ones but know the ones I am in, the manager has the majority of his wealth at risk in the fund also.

There is many things in life that would be considered as used car salesmen type dealings. We all ahve to be careful.
I have never had the aspirations to travel the world on the cheap
would rather be at work than being a sdlave to living on the cheap.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:51 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Not sure if investment info is allowed but the administrator info I included
if others may be interested. Requires one to be an accredited investor.
Minimum 500K may be negotiable, it was for me but I had showed interest
on the fund before started ( would of if I had the cash at the time).
Good Luck!

For September 2007, the Modern Capital Fund, LLC returned 5.5% (net of fees), and the Modern Capital Fund, Ltd. (offshore) returned 5.4%,while the S&P 500 index was 3.7% and the Russell 2000 index was 1.7%.

For the year to date, the Modern Capital Fund, LLC’s performance is 25.4% (net) while the S&P 500 index is 9.1% and the Russell 2000 index is 3.2%. Cumulative return of the Modern Capital Fund, LLC since inception on April 1, 2004 is 103.5% (net) compared to the S&P 500 index at 44.6% and the Russell 2000 index at 42.2%. Month-end assets of the Modern Capital Fund, LLC were $81.0 million.

Since inception on July 1, 2007, the Modern Capital Fund, Ltd. (offshore) has returned 6.6%, net, compared to 2.0% for the S&P 500 index and -3.1% for the Russell 2000 index. Month-end assets of the Modern Capital Fund, Ltd. were $13.3 million.

(Note: preliminary and subject to change)

The estimated performance figures presented above are net of all fees and expenses and represent the performance for a hypothetical investor who invested at the respective Fund’s inception and who participates in any new issue investments. The performance figures reflect a management fee of 1% from inception through October 2006, and a management fee of 2% from November 2006 to the present. An investor’s actual performance might be higher or lower based upon how that individual’s investment differs from that presented here. Past performance may not be indicative of future results.
Please find attached your monthly investor statement for Modern Capital
Fund, LLC for the period from 09/01/2007 to 09/30/2007.

Kind regards,

Pinnacle Fund Administration LLC
8008 Corporate Center Drive, Suite 310
Charlotte, NC 28226
Tel: 704-752-8996
Fax: 704-752-8997
Pinnacle Fund Administration LLC

Old 10-13-2007, 03:11 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not sure if investment info is allowed but the administrator info I included
if others may be interested. Requires one to be an accredited investor.
Minimum 500K may be negotiable, it was for me but I had showed interest
on the fund before started ( would of if I had the cash at the time).
Good Luck!

Not sure if you are legit or a troll. The post kinda smells like you are fishing for a reaction.

Just on the outside chance you are a naive fool being taken for your savings...

IMHO - Hedge funds in your financial situation... Run. Look into a conventional investment strategy with a low cost mutual fund company like VG. If you do not know anything about investing... Pick one of their all-in-one funds or a couple that seem to fit your risk tolerance.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:12 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Not sure if you are legit or a troll. The post kinda smells like you are fishing for a reaction.

Just on the outside chance you are a naive fool being taken for your savings...

IMHO - Hedge funds in your financial situation... Run. Look into a conventional investment strategy with a low cost mutual fund company like VG. If you do not know anything about investing... Pick one of their all-in-one funds or a couple that seem to fit your risk tolerance.
I am not a troll, just found this site.
I completely disagree with you and your investing experience seems to be lacking at best. I spend several hours a week reading on investing and have learned through years of experience that there is professionals that are much better than myself or the common person who thinks they know something on these message boards.

Did you know there has been more investors money lost
in the common mutual fund business than hedge funds by a long way ( $100 to 1. For every good mutual fund there is many poor performance ones and few mutual funds out perform their bench mark. So why don't we all just buy the indexs and go on auto pilot. Yes that is right lets all keep our money fully invested (which most mutual funds have to) during bad times.

I cannot believe people on a early retirement board does not have more knowledge than what I am seeing so far.
Oh I know lets all travel to cheap foreign countries, take some pics and tell stories of how cheap we can live in timbuktoo and where is the next frontier.

I want my managers to be as good in bad markets as
good markets and minimize risk with options, shorts
and other tools available in todays markets.

You are not showing yourself to be a very competent
investor and wouldn't know if anyone else was either.
Best you just buy Berkshire (BRK-B). Thinking that anything other than what granny would do be naive and a fool is just showing your ignorance

Look at Capitalistpig fund that I posted returns 2000 thru 2002. The fund opened in Aug of 2000.

I also like to get monthly performance reports.
Maybe hedge funds are not for all but if you are the average person that wants to retire quite a bit before
social security ( which I may not see) better wise up
I would suggest.

Good Luck either way.
A loss takes twice as much to make up for it.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:21 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am not a troll, just found this site.
Well, OK. If that is so... apologies for the troll remark.

Just to make sure I have this correct. You have $1.2 M of which
  • 40% in in CD or very short-term funds
  • 55% in 2 hedge funds (with low entry minimums)... not regulated well.
  • and 5% in a global natural resource fund.
If this is true. You need to study some different material than the marketing lit or propaganda that has been fed to you. https://www.bernstein.com/CmsObjectP...Allocation.pdf

HF can improve performance of an overall diversified portfolio strategy (if you get the right manager)... and perhaps reduce some risk through low-correlation (according to academics). If it were my money and I would not allocate more than 10% Max. I absolutely would not allocate more than I could stand to lose.

Since most top notch hedge funds (i.e., Managers) are targeted at the wealthy with very large entry minimums... I can not afford to play in that arena. The small fringe hedge funds... I will pass on them.

But, everyone has their risk profile and investment strategy. It is your money. Good Luck!
Old 10-13-2007, 09:16 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I have more than 1.2 mil ( this last month, Sept I was up $50K
NAV)
I do not have 40% in CD's, but have it in ETF fund, which has cash, bonds and equities with a full service broker whom I have banked with for 10 years and have 11% average returns over the 10 year time frame.
Presently he is 25% cash ( which is 5% MM cash) 60% index
equities ( basic materials, gold, silver, commodites, international
equity) 15% bond ETF's ( short, mid and long). The bond fund
is sold when he thinks time for a run in a sector as well as the cash MM ( actively managed in other words).

The hedge funds are much safer than the average mutual fund
and make money in down markets or lose much less.

Modern Capital manager has done well shorting different
MBS reits the last 1 1/2 years. Non Leveraged not like the loose
big guys or wild bunch.

If it is about regulated why do mutual funds lose many times
and thousands have been sold off or out of business
and are more likely to perform poorly because of restrictions
of how the fund has to be invested and what it has to be invested
in.

Many of the best mutual fund managers of past are running hedge funds now days. Not all but many do both.

If hedge funds were not good then the big investors would not be in them. Many hedge funds are limited to how many investors they as they are set up as partnerships and the managers have most all of their wealth in the fund.

Do some research and I am sure you will see hedge funds can
be great investments. Took me many years to be qualified to be in hedge funds and I prefer them. Hedge of hedge funds is the newest trend and has very little investment required to join them
( 25K, 50K or so).
Old 10-13-2007, 11:59 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I was in a hedge fund for 2 years. Got out of it last December.

I wonder why Bear Sterns is having trouble with their hedge funds?
Old 10-13-2007, 09:31 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Keith good question, out of 5,000 or so hedge funds wonder
why Bear Stearns is having problems on one of their hedge funds.
Have you noticed any mutual funds having problems recently.
No news on mutual fund problems because it is a regular occurence I guess.

Retiring Early you need downside risk as most if not all our money will need
to be invested to keep the income coming in until the pensions or social security kicks in. Also we will need to maintain a living standard that is
acceptable to the same as it was in the working years.

I am only concerned with Retire early commonalities we will all face.
55 and beyond is not really retiring early anymore. With many not getting any type of pension like myself it is important to use what tools are in the shed. I can afford to have some years of small or no return on investment but a period of down years would really put me back to work ( aint no medical benefits free anymore for most unless you can get medicare/caid).

Here is some decent reading on hedge fund investments
About Hedge Funds - Advantages of Hedge Funds over Mutual Funds
Old 10-14-2007, 04:03 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here is some decent reading on hedge fund investments
About Hedge Funds - Advantages of Hedge Funds over Mutual Funds

Old 10-14-2007, 07:24 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Wednesday, October 3, 2007
CRAIG's LIST- How can I find a rich husband?... and response
THIS APPEARED ON CRAIG'S LIST - must read down to the reply...What am I doing wrong?Okay, I'm tired of beating around the bush. I'm a beautiful(spectacularly beautiful) 25 year old girl. I'm articulate and classy.I'm not from New York. I'm looking to get married to a guy who makes atleast half a million a year. I know how that sounds, but keep in mindthat a million a year is middle class in New York City, so I don't thinkI'm overreaching at all.Are there any guys who make 500K or more on this board? Any wives? Couldyou send me some tips? I dated a business man who makes average around200 - 250. But that's where I seem to hit a ro adblock. 250,000 won't getme to central park west. I know a woman in my yoga class who was marriedto an investment banker and lives in Tribeca, and she's not as pretty asI am, nor is she a great genius. So what is she doing righ t? How do Iget to her level?Here are my questions specifically:- Where do you single rich men hang out? Give me specifics- bars,restaurants, gyms-What are you looking for in a mate? Be honest guys, you won't hurt myfeelings-Is there an age range I should be targeting (I'm 25)?- Why are som e of the women living lavish lifestyles on the upper eastside so plain? I've seen really 'plain jane' boring types who havenothing to offer married to incredibly wealthy guys. I've seen drop deadgorgeous girls in singles bars in the east village. What's the storythere?- Jobs I should look out for? Everyone knows - lawyer, investmentbanker, doctor. How much do those guys really make? And where do theyhang out? Where do the hedge fund guys hang out?- How you decide marriage vs. just a girlfriend? I am looking forMARRIAGE ONLYPlease hold your insults - I'm putting myself out there in an honestway. Most beautiful women are superficial; at least I'm being up frontabout it. I wouldn't be searching for these kind of guys if I wasn'table to match them - in looks, culture, sophistication, and keeping anice home and hearth.it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercialinterestsPostingID: 432279810THE ANSWERDear Pers-431649184:I read your posting with great interest and have thought meaningfullyabout your dilemma. I offer the following analysis of your predicament.Firstly, I'm not wasting your time, I qualify as a guy who fits yourbill; that is I make more than $500K per year. That said here's how Isee it.Your offer, from the prospective of a guy like me, is plain and simple acrappy business deal. Here's why. Cutting through all the BS., what yousuggest is a simple trade: you bring your looks to the party and I bringmy money. Fine, simple. But here's the rub, your looks will fade and mymoney will likely continue into perpetuity...in fact, it is very likelythat my income increases but it is an absolute certainty that you won'tbe getting any more beautiful!So, in economic terms you are a depreciating asset and I am an earningasset. Not only are you a depreciating asset, your depreciationaccelerates! Let me explain, you're 25 now and will likely stay prettyhot for the next 5 years, but less so each year. Then t he fade begins inearnest. By 35 stick a fork in you!So in Wall Street terms, we would call you a trading position, not a buyand hold...hence the rub...marriage. It doesn't make good business senseto "buy you" (which is what you're asking) so I'd rather lease. In caseyou think I'm being cruel, I would say the following. If my money wereto go away, so would you, so when your beauty fades I need an out. It'sas simple as that. So a deal that makes sense is dating, not marriage.Separately, I was taught early in my career about efficient markets. So,I wonder why a girl as "articulate, classy and spectacularly beautiful"as you has been unable to find your sugar daddy. I find it hard tobelieve that if you are as gorgeous as you say you are that the $500Khasn't found you, if not only for a tryout.By the way, you could always find a way to make your own money and thenwe wouldn't need to have this difficult conversation.With all that said, I must say you're going about it the right way.Classic "pump and dump."I hope this is helpful, and if you want to enter into some sort oflease, let me know.Posted by The Sly Fox
Old 10-14-2007, 08:46 PM   #54
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

'Sly Fox' makes some good points!
Old 10-15-2007, 09:22 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
(Fund ) is the cap pig returns! ( I bought it as he seems to be a great down market investor).

The list is in order of the returns top to bottom
Johnathan Hoenig was the keynote speaker at my firm's national meeting in May 2001. He came on stage dancing to Aerosmith, he seems a little eccentric.

I think I remember he told us he was holding a bunch of gold, international currencies, and a few Canadien oil stocks. If that was true, he would have done ok. I think they are based out of Chicago..............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:27 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I wonder why Bear Sterns is having trouble with their hedge funds?

Because the funds in question were leveraged to the moon.

- Will Rogers
Old 10-15-2007, 09:29 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I completely disagree with you and your investing experience seems to be lacking at best. I spend several hours a week reading on investing and have learned through years of experience that there is professionals that are much better than myself or the common person who thinks they know something on these message boards.
This is NOT the average investment board........

Quote:
Did you know there has been more investors money lost in the common mutual fund business than hedge funds by a long way ( $100 to 1. For every good mutual fund there is many poor performance ones and few mutual funds out perform their bench mark. So why don't we all just buy the indexs and go on auto pilot. Yes that is right lets all keep our money fully invested (which most mutual funds have to) during bad times.

Quote:
I cannot believe people on a early retirement board does not have more knowledge than what I am seeing so far.
Oh I know lets all travel to cheap foreign countries, take some pics and tell stories of how cheap we can live in timbuktoo and where is the next frontier.
Ok, that was pretty funny.........

Quote:
I want my managers to be as good in bad markets as
good markets and minimize risk with options, shorts
and other tools available in todays markets.
Some of us on here fo that already.........

Quote:
You are not showing yourself to be a very competent
investor and wouldn't know if anyone else was either.
Best you just buy Berkshire (BRK-B). Thinking that anything other than what granny would do be naive and a fool is just showing your ignorance
You're not the only millionaire on here...........

Quote:
A loss takes twice as much to make up for it.
And the choir goes to lunch..........

Old 10-15-2007, 11:02 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

The $ makes todays million like 700K from just a few years ago.

A million is quite common now days and has been that way since
the new centry. A good many that only own a house in Calif are
one. With actual inflation around 13% now you might have to be a multi to retire at 55 soon. Now days as common as a person
10 years ago making 100K a year no bragging rights on it that is for sure. Having that much invested is quite a bit better though
or could be. I would assume most in their mid 40's and beyond thing of early retirement to be one, plenty in the U.S. for sure.
Report: Number of U.S. millionaires reaches record - Mar. 29, 2006
Old 10-15-2007, 11:05 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The $ makes todays million like 700K from just a few years ago.

one. With actual inflation around 13% now you might have to be a multi to retire at 55 soon. Now days as common as a person
10 years ago making 100K a year no bragging rights on it that is for sure. Having that much invested is quite a bit better though
or could be. I would assume most in their mid 40's and beyond thing of early retirement to be one, plenty in the U.S. for sure.
Report: Number of U.S. millionaires reaches record - Mar. 29, 2006
What is the point of your post?

- Will Rogers
Old 10-15-2007, 01:52 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I disagree, but it depends on the bills you have to pay. If you have no debt, and live in the average American city, I don't see why two people with grown kids can't live on $5000 a month in retirement, or even less.

It's not like those folks are going to buy a new car every year or take a world cruise........