How to invest an extra 50K

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjflyman

Recycles dryer sheets
We just closed a couple extra savings/checking accounts we had in local banks (paying no interest) and added some extra cash we had in a safe, and ended up with about 50K. We moved it to our Ally savings account, but I am looking for ideas on what Mutual Funds any of you guys are happy with. I am moving it to my Fidelity account next week, I could just add it to my current funds, but I would like to hear of any funds you are happy with.
Thanks

Are you asking about any mutual fund (like stock or balanced funds)? Or just money/short bond funds available at Fidelity?

I like Venezuelan Beaver Cheese Futures. Although I know absolutely nothing of your financial situation, risk tolerance, current AA, etc, that's what I recommend for you.

OP - I would go with an index fund, not a mutual fund, unless it was a super low cost one, charging 0.15% MER.

Or, simply throw it into an ALLY CD, of 12 months.

A lot depends upon things we don't know, like your age, AA, net worth, etc..

Sorry, an index fund is a mutual fund.

I like Venezuelan Beaver Cheese Futures. Although I know absolutely nothing of your financial situation, risk tolerance, current AA, etc, that's what I recommend for you.
+1

If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there.

There isn't any need to be a jerk. I was asking about any funds you guys are in that your are happy with. I was not asking what you recommend for me. Frankly I can do without the smarta$$ remarks.

Maybe he meant to say ETF?
An ETF is a mutual fund, too. My guess is that he was trying to contrast actively-managed funds from passive funds, but missing the important point that buying actively managed funds has been statistically shown to be a losing game.

There isn't any need to be a jerk. I was asking about any funds you guys are in that your are happy with. I was not asking what you recommend for me. Frankly I can do without the smarta$$ remarks.
Well then, you didn't understand my message. You say you have $50K and were looking for ideas, sounds a lot like you're asking for recommendations. Making an investment decision based on "favorite funds" of others, providing zero information about your financial situation, plans for that money, risk tolerance, etc, and without having any idea if your situation matches theirs, is a really poor method.

Well then, you didn't understand my message. You say you have $50K and were looking for ideas, sounds a lot like you're asking for recommendations. Making an investment decision based on "favorite funds" of others, providing zero information about your financial situation, plans for that money, risk tolerance, etc, and without having any idea if your situation matches theirs, is a really poor method.
It's not rocket science. You don't need my entire finances just talk about what Mutual Funds a person is happy with. I was just trying to make friendly conversation, like "I really like Fidelity Puritan" or "I'm happy with American Funds Balanced". I was just trying to create conversation on what other like.I don't need your lecture on finances.

It's not rocket science. You don't need my entire finances just talk about what Mutual Funds a person is happy with. I was just trying to make friendly conversation, like "I really like Fidelity Puritan" or "I'm happy with American Funds Balanced". I was just trying to create conversation on what other like.I don't need your lecture on finances.
Sheesh. Take a deep breath. Step away from the computer. Maybe come back tomorrow with the apology.

Maybe everyone should take a step back and breathe deeply.

It also wouldn't hurt if everyone here were to give each other the benefit of the doubt. :)

We just closed a couple extra savings/checking accounts we had in local banks (paying no interest) and added some extra cash we had in a safe, and ended up with about 50K. We moved it to our Ally savings account, but I am looking for ideas on what Mutual Funds any of you guys are happy with. I am moving it to my Fidelity account next week, I could just add it to my current funds, but I would like to hear of any funds you are happy with.
Thanks

If the investment is short term(less than 3 years) I would use a Money market fund if it pays over 1.5%. A short term bond fund with a duration of less than 3 years would be my 2nd choice and would likely earn more yield than the money market fund. There is a chance of losing principal with the bond fund.

4-7 years would be an intermediate bond fund or conservative balance fund like Wellesley Income Fund from Vanguard.

Over 7 years, I would go to VTSAX Vanguard total market and VFWAX Foreign index fund from Vanguard.

You can match these in Fidelity with total market US and Total Market Foreign.

Fidelity also has a conservative balanced fund, but I do not know the ticker.

I own all of the funds above in different percentages and have been happy with the results.

Dan

I don't know why you named the thread "How to invest an extra 50K" then.

I like Vanguard Primecap. There you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom