Join Early Retirement Today

Re: How to Invest Pt.2
Old 06-15-2004, 07:49 AM   #21

Don't get me wrong. I think the posters giving advise on this board are very knowledgeable and very genereous with their time and advise. And as stated the price is right.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2004, 08:23 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

YEAH YOU WRIGHT!

Thanks - That's the one.

Old 06-15-2004, 10:01 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

This is Paul Harvey....good DAY!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Paul Harvey's a closet ER...
Old 06-15-2004, 11:39 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Paul Harvey's a closet ER...

I read an article on his lifestyle a couple years back. I believe he's in his 80s and clearly he's working because he wants to.

He has a broadcast studio in his humongous mansion, and he gathers material for his program by reading stuff that he'd be interested in reading anyway. He probably pays a staff to cut through the chaff, but today that could be a college intern with a broadband connection.

So every afternoon he puts together a few of his famous pages. (He probably gets most of his inspiration from this board.) Every morning he wakes up early, puts on his bathrobe, grabs a cuppa, and schlumfs downstairs to the studio. He yaks for a few minutes (pretty much like us without the keyboards) and then probably goes back to bed to see if his wife has any ideas on how to start the day. And when the mail is delivered, I bet it's full of endorsement checks from geriatric products.

Heck, I'd still be working if I had that lifestyle. Oh, but wait, first I'd have to slave for years at a career I absolutely loved to build the fan base to support that adulation. And then I'd be worried about outliving them!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Paul Harvey's a closet ER...
Old 06-15-2004, 01:46 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Re: Paul Harvey's a closet ER...

Quote:
Oh, but wait, first I'd have to slave for years at a career I absolutely loved to build the fan base to support that adulation. *And then I'd be worried about outliving them!
I think he is losing a bit to Tom Leykis. 10 years ago I almost never went into a place where guys worked without hearting Paul Harvey. Auto body, repair shops, welding shops. Now, it's Tom. He's the misogynists' avatar. Plus a pretty smart guy, and his voice is a lot less irritating than Paul's.

M
Old 06-15-2004, 05:47 PM   #26

The only guy I can stand to listen to for extended
periods is Rush Limbaugh. Of course, he is way
left of me politically, but still.................When I first
discovered him I was immediately captivated. Now,
I even switch him off from time to time. Anyway, he
has gone through a very tough few years (lost his hearing, his ESPN job, went into rehab, the
criminal investigations, and now the divorce). Man,
that's a lot to deal with even if you do have a bazillion
dollars.

John Galt
Old 06-15-2004, 07:04 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I think dennis miller has it worse.

Had his own hbo show, monday night football, and a blossoming movie career.

Then all at once it was gone.

Now he has to do a show with a monkey, and his breath smells curiously like george bush's underpants.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:10 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I think he should just invest it all in dryer sheets and keep working until he runs out... :
When I started reading these boards, I wondered about dryer sheets, imagining that it might refer to less sweating at night from financial worry; now I think it may refer to sheets put into a dryer to soften clothes. But, in truth, I remain confused about dryer sheets.

db
Old 06-16-2004, 04:15 AM   #29

Hey db, wait until you see our official flag (I supplied the
motto). It is truly a thing of beauty and constructed
entirely from used dryer sheets. I use it as the
desktop on my computer (I'm not making this stuff up).

John Galt
Old 06-16-2004, 04:27 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

db

Someone way back in our 'old and misty past threads' mentioned reusing dryer sheets as a means of cutting expenses/saving money, acting frugile - and boy oh boy - did we take off from there.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:43 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

"The rationale is that performance for corporate has historically been better without any increase in volatility."

Wabmester, do you know anywhere online that I can find a study or something showing this? When I look at Vanguard's 10 year history they are virtually identical, with corporate lagging slightly.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:30 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Hmm...weird. I know we looked at both short term funds and the data showed the short term corp with a nominal edge.

Looking at the data now, the 1-3-5-10 year data favors the regular short term bond fund.

I wonder if there was some restatement?

At least the short term corp has shorter bonds in it than the blend fund. Good in a rate rising environment.

Edit: I did a search on this and the only things I can see are Ted saying it was better (nobody challenged him on it) and bernstein uses it in his asset allocations.

For the "since inception" figures, corporate has an edge. For the last decade, the blend fund has somewhat better returns and a .01% lower expense rate.

I'd still keep the short term corporate now as the duration is lower (1.9 vs 2.5 years).

Just goes to show you, well accepted common wisdom sometimes isnt any of those.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:19 PM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Vanguard's Short Term Corporate has been an
outstanding fund since its inception in 1982. I
think its like a pair of old shoes to us oldtimers.
We just feel comfortable with it. I don't see
anything wrong with the Short Term Bond Index,
However, Like TH, I prefer the shorter duration.

Now that Short Term Corporate has become
Short Term Investment Grade, it can hold gov.
bonds, etc. I suspect the slim difference between
the funds will vanish into the twilight.

Cheers,

Charlie