Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
I've always used the phrase 'nickel millionaire' to refer to the people who want you to THINK they're wealthy.
Where I am from it is known as "Big hat, no cattle".

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I am afraid to look and act like we are rich or some relatives will be hitting us up for loans/handouts. Besides I'm too cheap and don't want to go back to work so moderation is the name of the game.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

[QUOTE=unclemick;1182068]Does genuine Schmidt bib overalls from Tractor Supply and a nice 20 year old pickup with a rusty tailgate and only one 'Yes I'm Grumpy' bumper sticker count as Patrician?

Only if you have a muddy quad loaded in the back
Old 04-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why must I become a lesbian in order to look rich?

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
The way to look rich is to date an attractive, well dressed woman way younger than you

Ha
Old 04-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
I recall, in the 70s, seeing James R. Schlesinger on one of the Sunday morning TV talk shows and Schlesinger was being grilled and as each question was being asked he would find some issue that needed attention on his pipe, especially relighting it. Then take a long bong-like hit and slowly exhale before then answering in a monotone that would have the questioner looking dazed.

WARNING TO NAVY TYPES: This is a "sea story."

I have a James Schlesinger story.

He was Secretary of Defense under Nixon/Ford during a portion of the time I was stationed at the Naval Communications Station, Rota, Spain. The group with which I worked did classified work related, in those days, primarily to keeping track of the Soviet Fifth Navy in the Mediterranean. I was a Navy Lieutenant at the time. Most of my fellow officers used to leave our ops building for lunch and go to the "O" Club. I normally brown-bagged it (one reason I retired early) and did a 3-5 mile run while they were scoffing down burgers. (Disclaimer: I love to eat; I have nothing against eating and I drink beer.)

This one particular day he duty officer said he had gotten a call from the Base CO's office saying that SECDEF Schlesinger would be there in an hour and wanted, particularly, to get a tour of our facility. As I was the senior officer in the ops building at the time, I took control. I quickly got people doing a "field day" (thorough cleaning of the building) and called the "O" Club to get the lunchtime martini-drinkers back to work.

Eventually, all the senior folks (Base CO, NAVCOMMSTA CO, SECGRU Department Head, etc.) were outside our building waiting for Sec Def. He arrived along with a couple of aides. He was dressed in rumpled khakis, boots and a very casual shirt. (I later learned that he had been birding on the Costa del Sol and, since he was so close, spontaneously paid us a visit.

So here's all the guys with scrambled eggs on their hats (most of whom have no idea exactly what we do there) walking in an entourage with SecDef Schlesinger. The Division Officers and Chiefs in each area (who DO know what's going on are giving walking briefs) as Schlesinger is puffing on his pipe. At one location we all stand in front of a big console from which some pretty important stuff is managed. The console is not working at there is a maintenance person underneath it with his legs sticking out - sorta like a mechanic under a car. Schlesinger's pipe goes out. He turns to the Base CO. "Do you have a match?" "No, Sir; I don't smoke." He turns to the NAVCOMMSTA CO, etc., down the line. Nobody has a match. Then somebody kicks the foot of the maintenance guy under the console. "Hey, sailor. You got a match?" A hand comes out from under the console with a book of matches.

The matchbook is passed to Schlesinger who lights his pipe, sticks the book of matches in his pocket and the entourage moves on to the next part of the tour. The sailor under the console has now realized that nobody has returned his matches (and, of course, he has no idea who had asked for them since he couldn't see them.) He comes out from underneath the console and yells at the group (whom he can't totally see) - "My matches! Who took my f****n' matches. The entourage, of course, is pretending not to hear but everyone can. But, unfazed, the SecDef kept the matches.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

Amethyst
It is not absolutely required, but it really helps.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #47

Big hat, no cattle.

I just learned that expression a few months ago. It reminded me of a Mercedes recently seen with duct tape holding on a rear tail light. I found that so interesting.

They still probably looked richer than I if I resort to duct tape to hold up tail light on our Impala.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I think the article's author is confusing "money" with "class".
+1 It seems to be targeted to younger people who are trying to figure out what/who they are.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

Amethyst
That's just the way it is. I hear it isn't half bad, either. No more forgotten birthdays or special celebrations. Flowers when something nice happens in your life, and flowers when you are feeling down. And last but not least, the toilet seat is never left up!

I must look rich today. Young women are smiling at me, gay men are smiling at me, dudes on the street corner are inviting me to have a pull on their bottle.

Must be the recent shine I gave my Birkenstocks?

Ha
Old 04-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekaymn View Post
I absolutely envy, though, the guys I see wearing real Tommy Bahama aloha shirts -- dang those are good-lookin' shirts. I have to settle for the JC Penney or Kohl's versions.....
Buy a plane ticket to Honolulu and then get a ride to the Pearl City Goodwill. Your chances are pretty good-- maybe two or three out of 500. But if you score, it'll only cost you $7.99 (plus your "shipping & handling fees"). Except on Tuesday when military get a 10% discount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
Maybe it's just me...but when I see a man wearing all white, it makes me think they are rich assuming there's not some clue to the contrary. White pants (bright white), white shirt, white deck shoes. Must be a stereotype from some movie I saw.
Yes, and let me tell you about him. He is different from you and me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
WARNING TO NAVY TYPES: This is a "sea story."
But, unfazed, the SecDef kept the matches.
And I bet he had a smirk on his face as soon as he left the command...

I'm trying to imagine a sailor smoking inside a Navy building today, let alone near an open equipment console. There'd be riots!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:37 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

It is beneficial to look rich in some countries. Example, if one is in an accident, quality of care depends on how is one's perceived richness, also treatment by member of public varies depending upon looks.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Must be the recent shine I gave my Birkenstocks?

Ha
"The smile on my face isn't from the shine on my shoes"
Old 04-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I thought about this thread today. I walked into a meeting (I'm still working) a minute or two late to see a packed room and only 1 open seat so I take it. During a break in the meeting I'm trying to get to know the other people in the room so I strike up a conversation with the guy to my right. I start asking him who he works for, what size is the company, what do they do etc. Shooting the breeze about these type of meetings and why they are important, relevant, valuable, etc. I didn't get a chance to ask him what his role was at his employer.

After he walked away I asked a buddy what was this guy's role? "Uhhh, Bob owns the company." Lol. Sure enough the guy is the sole owner of a $100+ million company that has a 9 figure contract with us right now (the subject contract of the meeting).

I learned that the rich dress like the rest of us (with clean, pressed clothes and new looking shoes), but he looked well groomed, had a simple watch (that looked new), iphone, and ipad. And when he introduced himself during the ice breaker segment, he said he enjoyed boating, particularly sailing. Modesty is a virtue of the wealthy - he called it boating and sailing, not yachting which is what I hear he actually does... They want to sound normal just like the rest of us mere middling wealthy.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:46 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
After he walked away I asked a buddy what was this guy's role? "Uhhh, Bob owns the company." Lol. Sure enough the guy is the sole owner of a $100+ million company that has a 9 figure contract with us right now (the subject contract of the meeting).
Was Bob impressed with how well your company studied up on his company for the meeting?

Nine-figure contracts should earn a 24"x36" portrait of the owner on an easel in the lobby.

When I was on sea duty, our sentries were expected to recognize various VIPs in person-- the admiral, a few commodores, a few commanding officers. They still had to prove their identity with their ID card but the sentry was expected to be able to greet them by name.

Of course it was a little difficult to reconcile their official photo with the guy standing in front of you wearing civvies and a two-day beard.

A friend of mine was telling tales of retired flag officers he's worked with. When ADM Hayward retired from CNO to Hawaii, he took a job in a local company. When his phone rang, he answered it as "Tom Hayward". He opened his own mail. He sent his own faxes. He made a fresh pot of coffee when he took the last cup. Someone eventually asked him why he behaved that way (instead of like a stereotypical retired flag officer) and he said "This seemed like a good chance to reinvent myself as someone who does his fair share of the work like everyone else." If you didn't recognize the face or the name then you'd have no idea what he used to do for a living.

We have two other retired four-stars living here with similar reputations. One of them is Tom Fargo (who I've briefly meet) and the other is Zap Zlatoper (who I only know by reputation). Real human beings, something you don't often find in a flag officer.

A fourth four-star retiree (I'm not naming names this time) went to work for a similar local company. He "required" a reserved parking spot, a company car with a gas credit card, an admin assistant, and all the other exec perks. He never answered a phone or touched a fax machine or opened an envelope, let alone risked a paper cut. This freed him up to spend more time thinking executive thoughts and making executive decisions. His business decisions cost the company $500K in expenses without generating additional revenue, and a year later it was decided that he should re-retire.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Funny, Nords.

I work in a VERY secure building. One day, the head of our organization was visiting us here in the sticks. He did not have his ID, the guards did not recognize him, and they would not let him in. I think it was heading for the big man being lead away in handcuffs when someone thought to call a local exec who verified the big guy's identity and defused the situation.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #56
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekaymn View Post
I have to settle for the JC Penney or Kohl's versions.....
Funny you said that. Got mine at Kohl's last week (we'll be on Maui on the 23rd )...
Old 04-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Was Bob impressed with how well your company studied up on his company for the meeting?

Nine-figure contracts should earn a 24"x36" portrait of the owner on an easel in the lobby.
It was a meeting to get to know each other, discuss how our relationship will work, communications processes, etc. Mission accomplished.

The funny thing is that this guy still thinks about things like I do. My buddy was trying to invite himself to Bob's yacht or villa or something in the Caribbean, but expressed concern over the cost of flights. Bob said nonchalantly "Fly out of Big City Airport, direct flights aren't even $400". Still cost conscious. I guess it takes attention to costs to run a business (successfully).