Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-06-2009, 04:42 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
I don't think taking a lump sum is necessarily a mistake, as long as you don't do it from one of those annuity companies. I'd want to run the numbers on a spreadsheet and factor in a few things, but due to inflation, it is usually the case that a dollar today is better than 10 dollars ten years from now.
Not to mention dollar in my pocket is better than a promise of $20 next month.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2009, 07:02 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I remember a few years back seeing a study that tracked lottery winners - and the vast majority had prudently managed their money. I feel sorry for the 16 year old winner that no one in her family could take her aside and show her what that money could do for her. Or maybe they did and she thought she knew better.

My wife once said if she won she'd keep working, I said you will up until the point someone is just causing you stupid problems at which you'll "why am I still here?".
rmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:34 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am sorry to report that the MegaMillion and NYS lottery tickets dh2b bought last week were not winners.
So I'll never have to worry about squandering it all for him. Oh well...
Old 09-07-2009, 08:38 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiuxiu View Post
The ones who open a bar I'll grant an exception to, everyone has had that dream at one point.
Not quite everyone (last thing I would want is to own some booze joint).
Old 09-07-2009, 08:46 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Me either!! Yuck. Not my cup of tea.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:58 AM   #46
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmark View Post
My wife once said if she won she'd keep working, I said you will up until the point someone is just causing you stupid problems at which you'll "why am I still here?".
Actually, we're in this situation. My DW/me were to retire on the same day, a bit over two years ago. I did - she didn't. When it came to a few weeks before she was to leave her j*b, she found she was not emotionally ready to give up the daily grind, as I was.

She is still work*ng, but has an easier time of it, because she knows she can always leave in a moment, if she wishes. It's almost like winning the lottery, but continuing to wo*k.

It certainly releaves most of the pressure of having to be at a j*b.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:10 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

In DH's hometown there was a true story of a woman who gave her niece a handful of lottery tickets for a wedding gift (funny right there, of course--were they registerd at Powerball or Megamillions?). One of the tickets won a few million. Aunt was furious that niece would not split the proceeds with her and never spoke to them again.

We also heard the niece and her new-husband spent all the winnings in a few years.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:28 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Whhhhhaaaaaaaaat? I suppose next you're going to claim you never wanted to be a fireman, ninja, or pirate?
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Booze joint...how do you make one of those?...
Old 09-07-2009, 05:05 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Booze joint...how do you make one of those?...
Yea, wouldn't the paper get wet?
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:20 PM   #51

hmmm ... I lost over a million in about half the time. Spending it would have been alot more fun (even if it went towards breast implants).