"How to Manipulate the Financial Press"

I don’t recommend courting the press to market your business. What should you do? You should be the tortoise, not the hare. Keep plodding along, offering good service and good advice, playing down the importance of “portfolio return” numbers and getting the client to focus instead on cash flow and budgeting and risk management and retirement and estate planning. Listen to a client when he is troubled or worried about money. Help him to live a more productive, balanced and less wasteful life.

Pretty sage advice IMHO. I wish more advisers followed it.

This article was interesting to get a perspective on the life and times of a journalist. Actually, she didn't seem as bad as many I've read or as I suspected.

When I was in high-tech, the trade journals were pretty shameless the way they worked. We'd do an ad buy and magically we'd get 2 or 3 feature articles that sort of came with it. Nothing official of course, but it was understood. I'd see emails like "were thinking about a general interest story on new technology trends or new products, got anything interesting?"

Now with respect to financial mags, I wonder how it works. I mean, I get the need to fill air with the silly "how to make your kids millionaires" articles that dot the landscape. What I really wonder if the national financial mags are basically the same as the trade rags or if they have higher standards. My guess is that they are similar, but that the dance is much more subtle and complicated.

Anyone have any first hand knowledge of how this really works?

Jim

mickeyd said:
Pretty sage advice IMHO. I wish more advisers followed it.

Some of us do............ ;)

Back
Top Bottom