Join Early Retirement Today
Re: How to retire in your 30s
Old 06-30-2006, 07:59 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by HaHa
Anyway, bring it on, I love the self assurance coming from our younger members.
Incidentally, one of my sons has 5x my net worth, and he has zero interest in ER. He saw enough of that **** growing up
Roger that!

My son stumbled into chose law, got his patent bar, and is making about twice what I made as a young nonsurgical physician in adjusted dollars. And he isn't even a partner in his firm yet. As much as I rib him about it, I'm really pleased and proud.

Of course, he shows zero understanding of a FIRE strategy of any sort, but that's another story. If I am blessed with a good retirement and market performance, I'll help him by supporting my grandkids' education some day (same for my daughter's kids). Nice way to kill two birds with one stone.

San Francisco Area
ESR'd March 2010. FIRE'd January 2011.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2006, 07:35 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Please don't get me wrong. I am NOT saying you need to, or even should buy your kids whatever they want. I didn't, and I don't believe it is healthy. Having and raising kids is an extremely rewarding endeavour, and one I would recommend to anyone if they are suitably wired.

But, you will find that all the theories you have before, or shortly after they arrive, will be lacking when the actually reality begins to play out. And the notion that "they don't cost that much", is one of the first ideas that you need to plan to reexamine. Being frugal is a good thing, and a good value to teach. But it's an entirely different matter to choose to let a tooth go, or drive a marginal car, or make other decisions based on doing less for yourself. It's another matter to make that decision for another human being that can't do it for themselves.

I am not saying that ER is incompatible with having kids. I AM saying that ER should not be the driving force, and having kids a side-project.

And if you believe that you will always have control over the little beasts psychologcially, think again. It's a two-way street. Kids will raise you as much as you raise them. That's a good thing. Plan to have your values change.

I have an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one.
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote