Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-23-2010, 03:15 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I limit my "things" purchase to that which gives me experiences. Two motorcycles that my son and I rode together through the mountains in Colorado, kayaks were use on trips down the local rivers, a small power boat we take fishing, etc.
Culture is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2010, 05:33 PM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

Spending money on ....that makes me happy:

1. An item, such as a bike that has been on the want-list for a while.
2. Gifting to close family members.
3. Giving a manageable sum of money to the needy and you know that it took care of their health/food/study needs. Such as, feeding the orphans, on a special day.
4. Vacations/parties, when they turn out to be pleasant/memorable.
5. Investments that, per our perception, is worthy.
6. Clothes or things, when you look good in it and tend to use it repeatedly. Meaning, when it has given you the money's worth.
7. Food, only when it is unique and provides a good experience.
FIREINDUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

I have been ridiculously happy since my retirement last year. I am a real little ray of sunshine constantly, if you know what I mean?

I eat out at restaurants a lot, and enjoy being able to afford that. Other than that, I enjoy buying an occasional FRIVOLOUS item. I notice that spending is a lot more fun if money is being spent on something that I want or think is pretty, but that I don't need and couldn't possibly justify. It makes me happy to know that I don't have to justify any affordable expense to anybody.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:19 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Gosh, when you put it that way, it seems inexpensive to have ten a day! Think I'll go have another right now........
If you have ten a day, you can probably go with a higher SWR.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:04 AM   #25

I'm trying to spend my money on experiences, but the Playboy bunnies won't return my call.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:37 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
I'm trying to spend my money on experiences, but the Playboy bunnies won't return my call.
They might if the price is right.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
The bid ask spread is too high.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:19 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've always (even in pre-FIRE days) allocated some for "cool stuff", "fun stuff" to make myself happy. It doesn't have to be expensive, but just for stuff I like. (For example, today I bought myself a retractable mouse for my laptop. Only about $10 but pretty nifty). I compare this approach kind of like if one goes on a diet, one still needs some allowance for dessert. Not in excess, but some.