Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
I feel that I am not taxed enough. I have enough money to ER at 50 and so I also have enough to stand a bit more of a tax burden.
Feel free to send in an extra check. Nobody is stopping you.

Don't worry, they told us that, this time, they will use the money wisely.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Doing both would be best.....we are doing neither.

I feel that I am not taxed enough. I have enough money to ER at 50 and so I also have enough to stand a bit more of a tax burden.
No need to wait for them to demand the extra money at all. Feel free to send as much as you want any time.

Government - Frequently Asked Questions about the Public Debt

Quote:
Financing the Debt

Why does the debt sometimes decrease?

The Public Debt Outstanding decreases when there are more redemptions of Treasury securities than there are issues.
How do you make a contribution to reduce the debt?

There are two ways for you to make a contribution to reduce the debt:
  • You can make a contribution online either by credit card, checking or savings account at Pay.gov
  • You can write a check payable to the Bureau of the Public Debt, and in the memo section, notate that it's a Gift to reduce the Debt Held by the Public. Mail your check to:

Attn Dept G
    Bureau of the Public Debt
    P. O. Box 2188
    Parkersburg, WV 26106-2188
Gifts to the United States Government: Questions and Answers: Financial Management Service

Quote:
Gifts to the United States Government

How do I make a contribution to the U.S. government?
Citizens who wish to make a general donation to the U.S. government may send contributions to a specific account called "Gifts to the United States." This account was established in 1843 to accept gifts, such as bequests, from individuals wishing to express their patriotism to the United States. Money deposited into this account is for general use by the federal government and can be available for budget needs. These contributions are considered an unconditional gift to the government. Financial gifts can be made by check or money order payable to the United States Treasury and mailed to the address below.
Gifts to the United States
U.S. Department of the Treasury
Credit Accounting Branch
3700 East-West Highway, Room 622D
Hyattsville, MD 20782
Any tax-related questions regarding these contributions should be directed to the Internal Revenue Service at (800) 829-1040.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Feel free to send in an extra check. Nobody is stopping you.

Don't worry, they told us that, this time, they will use the money wisely.
yawn
Old 03-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
No need to wait for them to demand the extra money at all. Feel free to send as much as you want any time.

Government - Frequently Asked Questions about the Public Debt

Gifts to the United States Government: Questions and Answers: Financial Management Service
yawn

I believe taxes should be higher on ALL those able to pay......myself included. We need sensible spending and revenue producing policies, we have neither.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

So: I won't give willingly by myself, but please take from everyone, willingly or not. That's still 100% for "Thanks, but no thanks" when I give that link to anyone who wants more money going to help the government.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
So: I won't give willingly by myself, but please take from everyone, willingly or not. That's still 100% for "Thanks, but no thanks" when I give that link to anyone who wants more money going to help the government.
I give willingly now and would give more if required, we are talking about taxation not charity. I believe that tax is too low. How much do you think you should be taxed? Are current levels ok with you?
Old 03-22-2011, 03:06 PM   #47

Quote:
yawn

I believe taxes should be higher on ALL those able to pay......myself included. We need sensible spending and revenue producing policies, we have neither.
No I think taxes should be higher on you. You want all that stuff. You pay for it.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:10 PM   #48

Quote:
No I think taxes should be higher on you. You want all that stuff. You pay for it.
If I have 2x your wealth then of course I should pay a higher percentage. Like you I believe we need to cut costs, I don't want "all that stuff" either. What level of taxation is ok with you, just curious.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:18 PM   #49

Quote:
If I have 2x your wealth then of course I should pay a higher percentage. Like you I believe we need to cut costs, I don't want "all that stuff" either. What level of taxation is ok with you, just curious.
I would cap taxation levels at whatever you pay and no more.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:20 PM   #50

Quote:
I would cap taxation levels at whatever you pay and no more.
yawn
Old 03-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #51
gone traveling

Quote:
I give willingly now and would give more if required, we are talking about taxation not charity. I believe that tax is too low. How much do you think you should be taxed? Are current levels ok with you?
yawn....