Join Early Retirement Today

How to Stash 1 Million
Old 03-18-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How to Stash 1 Million

I thought I'd be the first to post this yahoo link on how to save a $million.
There's nothing earth shattering, just earn a lot of money and LBYM. But the article fails to mention one of the most critical factors in saving; his family situation. I get the impression that he's single with no children and so can be single minded in his frugal lifestyle and savings. The frightening thing is i have a lot in common with him and he sounds so utterly boring.

how-to-stash-1-million-savings: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2011, 09:45 AM   #2

"I established a traditional defined-benefit pension plan for my business, which allowed me to contribute as much as $240,000 in one year."

How does one arrange this?

Old 03-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Good for him. Looks like he's dodged the "Big 3" early-retirement killers: Kids, divorce, and serious illness.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:00 AM   #4

Good deal.

Perhaps I missed it, but the article didn't touch on how his education expense was covered or the type of residence his budget supports.

I would be more impressed with an article on an average earner making it to 1M or more by 49.

I guess I would expect someone earning > 200k per year to have that much if not more by his age. YMMV... perhaps I have high expectations.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
"I established a traditional defined-benefit pension plan for my business, which allowed me to contribute as much as $240,000 in one year."

How does one arrange this?
If you are self employed you can do a SEP and contribute something like $46k a year to a DC plan, the limits for a DB plan are far higher.....

Some quick Googling and I see that for a SEP DB plan the tax deferred annual amount is essentially limitless. You decide what benefit you want and fund the DB plan appropriately. This is great for someone who is self employed, over 40, and needs to accumulate retirement savings quickly.
So the guy in the article is locking up most of his money in an enormous DB plan. I'd want a little more liquidity.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:18 AM   #6

- SEP IRA contribution is limited to 25% of total income, up to the $49,000 limit

- DB plan 240k might be compensation limit.... contribution would seem high.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #7

I'm stereotyping the guy in the article, but I bet one of the things on his retirement to do list is a "mail order bride"
Old 03-18-2011, 11:52 AM   #8

The 4 step process on How to Stash a Million

How to Stash 1 Million

Step 1) Start with 2 Million Dollars

Step 2) Invest in the stock market

Step 3) Wait for crash

Step 4) Pull out money in a panic to invest in "safe" investments.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

He should have even more money stashed away. He is losing too much to his "guys" at Merrill Lynch and Schwab. Or is there another explanation for what he did with all his money?

He's 49 and a radiologist. I think the demographics show that 50-year radiologists average $3 million stashed away.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:08 AM   #10

Not much I can relate to here. A few years w/ a quarter mil in savings and soon your a millionaire. Plodding along, never made more than $75k, LBYM with a wife, three kids etc. -seven figure investment account -now that's a story
Old 03-19-2011, 02:17 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

This is typical "guy with a high salary lives frugally and saves a lot of money" story. Personally, I think putting your money with one broker to manage your money is risky. Just putting your eggs in the stock market is risky. I like real estate (eg, raw land) in the mix. I also like to pay my taxes on my investment money. Despite the notion that you will be in a lower tax bracket when you take the money out, paying income taxes on big money always hurts. Better to take the pain at the time you save the money.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:24 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

The really entertaining part of the article are the comments the people have made. The anger, jealousy, and personal attacks on this guy provide a lot of insight on the state of America. It's hard for people to give him credit for becoming a doctor and saving 7 figures. True that most people can't relate to that much money but why attack him because you are one the " have nots".
Old 03-19-2011, 11:03 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
Not much I can relate to here. A few years w/ a quarter mil in savings and soon your a millionaire. Plodding along, never made more than $75k, LBYM with a wife, three kids etc. -seven figure investment account -now that's a story
Agree - stories like yours are much more relevant to most folks.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:07 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico View Post
The really entertaining part of the article are the comments the people have made. The anger, jealousy, and personal attacks on this guy provide a lot of insight on the state of America. It's hard for people to give him credit for becoming a doctor and saving 7 figures. True that most people can't relate to that much money but why attack him because you are one the " have nots".
I don't perceive it as a lot of anger or jealously pr personal attacks. More that at his income level to save a million isn't as huge an accomplishment as the stories of many of the posters on this site who have done the same on much lower income.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I don't perceive it as a lot of anger or jealously pr personal attacks.
Are we reading the same comments?
Old 03-19-2011, 11:57 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yes, the comments following the article are pathetic and childish.

I do not share information regarding my finances with anyone. I don't want to open myself up to attacks. I don't understand what is to be gained from putting oneself out there like this guy did.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:18 AM   #17

+2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
I do not share information regarding my finances with anyone. I don't want to open myself up to attacks. I don't understand what is to be gained from putting oneself out there like this guy did.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:01 AM   #18

Quote:
The anger, jealousy, and personal attacks on this guy provide a lot of insight on the state of America.
I think they provide more insight into how many people will make these types of inane comments when they feel emboldened by the anonymity of the internet. This type of behaviour is not just the preserve of Americans.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:39 AM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

Send a message via Skype™ to Isadora
Quote:
that is cute, but consider if he is single, there is nobody for him to bore.
Are you single? then perhaps that could be the reason. If not, ask your spouse.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:48 AM   #20

Wow, interesting reactions. The intent of my response was that there are many other examples that could provide usefull information for others. For example I know a drywaller with a 10th grade education who has an over 3m investment portfolio. How did he get there? Or the school teacher and police officer who have put together multiple unit rentals providing an income of over 100k. Articles like this should present some sort of actionable information that people can apply to improve their lot in life. I could be the subject of this article myself but stating my good fortune (and luck) in itself is not impresssive.