Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-25-2011, 11:01 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Actually, Danmar, they don't. Sure, the billionaires do, but there are a lot of people that the middle class would consider wealthy, that they themselves do not. If making more than $250,000 a year, as some seem to think, makes you wealthy, the a whole lot of wealthy people don't think they are wealthy. We are well off, not wealthy. In fact a lot of folks on here fit that description. They are, are going to be, FI. In a large portion of the population that would make you wealthy. I dare say, however, most here that are FI, don't consider themselves wealthy.

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2011, 11:08 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Danmar is wealthy. I am comfortable.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

If you have a yacht, you are probably wealthy...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
If you have a yacht, you are probably wealthy...........
Depends on how you define "yacht"
Old 04-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #25
Administrator

As long as I am FI and not worried about money or dodging calls from creditors, I think it is unlikely that I am going to stay up nights worrying about whether or not I am wealthy. I don't need the validation.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:43 PM   #26

Rustic: My point was that being wealthy is a self assigned title. Who cares what others think? If you think you are wealthy, you are. If you don't? Well you may be looking for
some kind of third party telling you that you are to feel better I guess.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:48 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't need the validation.
I don't need the burden of the responsibility, either, let alone the paranoia of "Why are these people being so nice to me?!?"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:06 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Depends on how you define "yacht"
Old 04-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Rustic: My point was that being wealthy is a self assigned title. Who cares what others think? If you think you are wealthy, you are. If you don't? Well you may be looking for
some kind of third party telling you that you are to feel better I guess.
Another possible motivation is trying to be sure that others, public and private, do not think that you are wealthy. When P.Obama talks about "the wealthy", it is not a good category to be in.

Ha
Old 04-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Redneck ingenuity, I love it!
Old 04-25-2011, 01:23 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Bet this dude catches more fish than P Allen. Probably gets more tail too! Come on baby , just keep your feet offn' the battery!

Ha
Old 04-25-2011, 09:39 PM   #32
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Bet this dude catches more fish than P Allen. Probably gets more tail too! Come on baby , just keep your feet offn' the battery!

Ha
And I bet this guy has more fun on a typical saturday night than most people who'd describe themselves as "wealthy".
Old 04-25-2011, 10:06 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Another possible motivation is trying to be sure that others, public and private, do not think that you are wealthy. When P.Obama talks about "the wealthy", it is not a good category to be in.

Ha
+1

Being identified as wealthy makes you a target for higher taxes, means testing and general vilification for political purposes. I fully intend to proclaim my state of general poverty indefinitely - intended early retirement notwithstanding. I will also be ticking the lowest possible boxes on all future wealth and income type polls.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #34

Yes, I agree that in many cases being called wealthy is not a good thing. But I am not aware of any cases where self identification would make much of a difference? Do you get asked a lot if you are wealthy? Not me. Other than on this forum and other anonymous places I guess.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:53 AM   #35

If you earn $1 more than me, you are wealthy. But I'm not.

Am I close?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:55 AM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Do you get asked a lot if you are wealthy? Not me. Other than on this forum and other anonymous places I guess.
Odd that it's generally considered rude to do so - except in the virtual world where we can be anything we want to be.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:59 AM   #37
gone traveling

I cannot judge myself. If others consider me (and DW, as a couple) wealthy? Then so be it.

However, since no one (other than DW) has any idea of our financial situation, it is not a question to be answered (nor do we really care ...)
Old 04-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Odd that it's generally considered rude to do so - except in the virtual world where we can be anything we want to be.
Yep. On the Internet I'm 6'2" and have a full head of hair.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:48 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Yep. On the Internet I'm 6'2" and have a full head of hair.
Gee, even when I am not on the Internet I am 6'2" and have a full head of hair!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
We dined Easter Sunday with our neighbors, with whom we've spent quite a bit of time over the past decade.

He's a retired 30-year Army CW-4 and now a civil servant running part of the Personnel office of the local Army base. He turns 66 in a few months but says he doesn't hate what he's doing and has no real reason to start collecting his FERS money or his TSP. His spouse (who also works 40-hour weeks at the base's childcare center and is at least 67 years old) wants him to pay off the mortgage before he stops working. He wants to golf but he gets in 2-3 rounds a week already so he doesn't feel that he can complain. He certainly doesn't "feel" wealthy as long as he has that mortgage hanging over his head. Their big debate is whether to pay off the mortgage with the TSP or to annuitize the TSP to the same size as the mortgage payment (despite the current sucky interest rates). It's refreshing to talk with someone who understands all the aspects of that choice.

They've watched us move into the neighborhood, stop wearing our uniforms, grow out our hair, and launch our daughter from the nest. We're always helping each other with home maintenance (us) and gardening (them). She's always feeding us. They understand our finances at least as well as we do (hey, he's a military personnel expert) but they certainly don't understand why a couple of healthy adults aren't chasing paychecks. Maybe they're waiting to see if we decide to make something of ourselves.

Apparently they don't consider us wealthy either. When we finished talking about his work & golf plans, I asked him how the Army does transition counseling for separating/retiring soldiers. He explained it-- just like the Navy so they're following the same DoD template-- and I asked if I could talk to one of them about the book. When I gave him my blog card he thought I was asking if they were hiring, and it took a few minutes to get all that straightened out. When he finally understood that the book's royalties would go to charity he was dumbfounded. Maybe he was afraid that I was going to ask him to buy 100 copies.

So to him, "wealthy" is no debt and an annuitized income that exceeds his expenses for the rest of his life. Long-term care insurance, of course, and life insurance to pass on to the "kids". Despite his decades of work and his considerable savings, he doesn't feel that he's wealthy or that he's "earned" retirement yet.

He probably sees our financial approach to life as downright dangerous & foolhardy. It'll be interesting to talk with him as he gets caught up on the blog.

I bet he works until declining health forces him off the payroll... and the fairways.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote