Join Early Retirement Today
Old 08-05-2015, 08:15 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado
I've sold a lot of items and never had a problem taking cash. Usually $100 bills for higher priced items. Sold a 1930 model A 5 window coupe on CL last year. Buyer came with car trailer and $7k in crisp bills from the bank.

fishnfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2015, 08:28 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
I've used PayPal for this in amounts up to a couple of thousand dollars. The buyer can use a smart phone to make the transfer on the spot.

jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:37 AM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I dusted off the pinball machines, changed a few bulbs, and wow are they gorgeous. My jaw dropped when I checked the current selling prices (The Addams Family and Twilight Zone are selling for $4,000 to $7,000!

I'm sad you don't live near me! I <3 Addam's Family so much!! I've always wanted to buy one, but have never pulled the trigger... :-)

That said, I second the vote for cash only or meet at their bank and *then* get cash! :-) I'd be too worried about getting either a counterfeit cashier's check or some other unforeseen circumstance.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Evie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:43 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
A new trend around here is conducting craigslist transactions in Police HQ parking lots. (some officially sanction this) No thief is going to rob you there, right?
43 and FIREd.
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:36 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
I've done many a craigslist deal for five figures in cash with no problems.
Have sold several boats in the 10k to 15k range for cash with no issues but took a certified check for the RV which sold for a much higher price. Although I did check with the buyer's bank to confirm the check, I didn't expect an issue as he traveled from Alaska (to Alabama) to pick it up.
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:57 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets
I checked my Paypal acct and I am not able to have someone put money in my acct. Those of you who mentioned Paypal, or might know the answer, is it that I need to upgrade my Paypal acct?

Also, I have "Square Cash". Using Square Cash money can be sent to you and it goes directly into your banking acct.

Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote