How'd you spoil yourself when you feeling "rich"?

I'd move to a place with a little yard and get another one of these.

Attachments

• goldenretrieverpuppy.jpg
    goldenretrieverpuppy.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 90
  • goldenretrieverpuppy.jpg_thumb
    53.7 KB · Views: 0
Bought the book Work Less, Live More.....
Then felt guilty after reading it because I didn't check the library first :-\

Alan said:
Bought the book Work Less, Live More.....
Then felt guilty after reading it because I didn't check the library first  :-\
I read more than 95% of my books from the library, and I've bought at least four copies of WLLM so far. A couple were gifts but my loaners keep running away.

So don't feel guilty. You'll keep referring to the chapter on 4% withdrawals and you'll maybe even loan it out to your friends.

Nords said:
I'd think that at least half the fun would come from restoring it...

Agreed. Most of my fun from ER is having the time to "work" at my hobbies!

Nords said:
So don't feel guilty.  You'll keep referring to the chapter on 4% withdrawals and you'll maybe even loan it out to your friends.

It is a very good book - DW is reading it now.

bbuzzard said:
I purchase a gun. Preferably a used military rifle manufactured from 1937 to 1945. Something about holding a weapon that was used in the last good war just does it for me. They are also fun to shoot, as they were mostly designed for shooting at very long ranges, 600 to 1000 yards. I guess I am a little weirder than most.

Not weird at all! After I got my bonus this year, I purchased a Rock River Arms CAR15. Not the same era as you are talking about, but more "my" era. However, my plan is that after I pass the 1 megabuck mark, I am going to find a cherry M1 Garand. Dad carried one in WWII and that's how I'm keeping my eyes on the "prize".

jclarksnakes said:
Audrey,
....Thanks a WHOLE bunch. Saw your posted PIC and now I don't feel so rich anymore. That really looks nice. Have fun with it.
jc
Well, we actually live in that thing (no house), so we bought what we really wanted. Maybe that makes you feel better?

Audrey

Audrey,
...If I thought my house was worth more than your land yacht I would perhaps feel a little better. Unfortunately that is not the case.
jc

After we finished paying off all debt, I dumped the underwear and sock drawers and got us all brand new nice stuff. We really did not buy anything for over a year in an effort to pay off the house, so it was a splurge. Now we are much more relaxed and do pay for things that are not necessities too.

I don't feel bad Audrey has a nice motorhome. If it is what they decided they wanted to work for and it worked out for them, good for them. I could have the same if I worked longer or sold my house and contents. Or maybe I had to fall into some luck along the way. Everything is a trade off.

I personally feel like the most important riches are those you cannot hold in your hand.

My husband just splurged on a new camera for our trip to Africa (and beyond). A Nikon D80 with 18-55mm and 18-200 VR lenses. There's a backlog on the second lens and it will take months to get it--he persuaded Ritz Camera to sell him the first lens for half price. He was into photography in his 20s and is excited about getting back into it. I was distressed at first about the expense, but now that I see him practicing with all the features (this camera can go from entirely automatic to entirely manual and has LOTS of buttons and menus), I love how happy he is with it--and I'm looking forward to fine photos.

4 years ago, when we bought this house and our new mattrress/box spring set, I also bought one set of sheets for it--fine French bed linens (plus a third cheap, soft cotton blanket to add to the previous 2, which are 12 years old, which we layer as needed). The bottom sheet is getting kinda threadbare after 4 years of pretty much weekly washings and dryings--and tossings and turnings. I'm gonna splurge on another brazillion-threadcount bottom sheet. My tush is thrilled!

EDIT Fixed a typo, and changed my avatar to a picture that DH took in our driveway at sunrise this morning.

jclarksnakes said:
Audrey,
...If I thought my house was worth more than your land yacht I would perhaps feel a little better. Unfortunately that is not the case.
jc
Well unfortunately you might be right there.  Our house sold for less than the monster on wheels cost.  But that's because our house sold at depressed TX prices!

Audrey

astromeria said:
My husband just splurged on a new camera for our trip to Africa (and beyond). A Nikon D80 with 18-55mm and 18-200 VR lenses. There's a backlog on the second lens and it will take months to get it--he persuaded Ritz Camera to sell him the first lens for half price. He was into photography in his 20s and is excited about getting back into it. I was distressed at first about the expense, but now that I see him practicing with all the features (this camera can go from entirely automatic to enitely manual and has LOTS of buttons and menus), I love how happy he is with it--and I'm looking forward to fine photos.
When I look at all the years of incredible pleasure our camera equipment has brought us over the years of retirement, I'm glad we spent the money on good gear.  The images truly last a lifetime.

Audrey

astromeria said:
He was into photography in his 20s and is excited about getting back into it. I was distressed at first about the expense, but now that I see him practicing with all the features (this camera can go from entirely automatic to entirely manual and has LOTS of buttons and menus), I love how happy he is with it--and I'm looking forward to fine photos.
He will probably love it. I did a fair amount of photography in my teens and 20s. I still have the enlarger and dark room equipment. Took a long break and recently got back in a small way with digital. I find that working with Photoshop or GIMP (free open source PS equivalent) is more fun that a darkroom. You can do more ith your images and don't need a complicated, messy, dark space to do your thing.

Tell him to learn about the software side - get Photoshop if the $ doesn't frighten you or download GIMP and get a copy of "Groking the GIMP." The later combo would make a nice gift.

audreyh1 said:
When I look at all the years of incredible pleasure our camera equipment has brought us over the years of retirement, I'm glad we spent the money on good gear. The images truly last a lifetime.

Audrey

I just splurged on photo stuff too

I bought a Canon 30D along with an EF-S 28-125 and EF 17-40. I've only had it for 2 weeks but I'm having a blast with it

Thanks, donheff. He's using software that came free on his Mac--iPhoto? So far he has only done a little cropping with it. I'll tell him about GIMP. He already bought a couple of books on composition and camera settings--we're both reading them. I have the better eye for design and engaging subject matter, but not as much patience (or memory) as he has for camera quirks and technology. I often suggest the subject, angle, what to include/exclude in the frame, whether landscape or portrait mode will likely work better--but then I just want to push a button. I'm more into the art, he's more into the science. We teach each other, which is fun. usually. I admit I rolled my eyes when I saw his dozen photos of an elaborate sand castle I asked him to phtograph on our beach walk yesterday, all in portrait mode and none of them showing it off to best advantage ::). But he was willing to lie down on the wet sand to get it :). We're thinking about getting a tripod--probably wait till after we get the long lens.

Back
Top Bottom