Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: How's your Asset Allocation holding up?
Old 03-03-2007, 05:34 AM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Just checked for the week and down 2.6%.
Lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2007, 06:25 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't own any equities so naturally, I have few concerns about stock market gyrations. I am still in fixed income and real estate.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:51 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Still up about 3% ytd.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:05 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Checked today and I'm up 0.00%, actually out $10 , but it shows up as 0% since it's so small. So I'm back to Jan 1, not so bad I guess. I plan on hurrying up and do nothing. Just like my homemade wine, and me, I'll just let it age......Shredder
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:13 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Still up 0.5% YTD, but I'm halfway to where I need to rebalance my portfolio. Just need another nasty week or two, then I'll be rebalancing.

I'd love to see the S&P come down to the 1300-1325 range (gosh, we were there only last October!). I'm not sure we'll get it though.

Audrey
Old 03-03-2007, 09:18 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

The past week cost my portfolio 4.1%, but it hasn't changed AA enough for me to do anything yet. If EM falls some more, I might add to it, probably taking from either commodity futures or TIPS, both of which are up since last purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd
Have your FI funds done what you expected them to do ( you know, level out your ups/downs) or has your AA disappointed you once again?
Tips went up.

Megacap U.S. BRLIX didn't cushion much. But this was only a small bump in the market. In a more severe market, I'd hope megacap U.S. and/or a few other asset classes would fall significantly less than my average.

I'm not dissapointed. If my portfolio lost 40% (probably not in one week...) and everything other than FI fell about the same amount, I'd be dissapointed.
lazyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:29 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had posted on another thread that I was down a few dollars YTD. I did my Quicken update and realized I had deleted an account from my performance calculation. Now it says I'm up 1.8% YTD. When I check my NAV for the year, it agrees so it looks like I'm still on the winning side for this year (so far ). This return does include substantial dividends from SPY and DODFX that officiallly paid in 2007. You can question whether that is "true 2007 return" but I don't include it in the 16.8% return for 2006.

My asset allocation is 5% cash/25% foreign/15% US small/55% US large. Yes, it looks light on fixed but there are other assets that would make it about 30% fixed.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:37 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

I have no idea if I'm up or down YTD. I only check once a year in January so I can view my results with a more long term perspective. Short term noise has never affected, nor interfered, with my nest-egg. That said, as I'm about 60/40, I suppose that I'm down a bit YTD like many of you seem to be.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:26 PM   #29

Nearly all gains have been obliterated - gone in smoke.

Let's hope for a better week.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:29 PM   #30

Yen carry trades are proving to have some difficulty in unwinding. Darn globalism.

I became so negative on the market in January that I violated my own rule of a minimum equity investment of 25% and went to 0% equities, so this is having no financial impact on me yet. It is very early to be worried as we are only 5 percent from the market top. But it is evident that many are nervous.... US fundamentals are really not very good. The 1 year negative 8 percent drop in the average US house is I think contributing to the nervousness in general.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:23 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man
Yen carry trades are proving to have some difficulty in unwinding. Darn globalism.
They seem to be doing a pretty good job of unwinding at the moment...
But with only a quarter percent increase in interest rate, the BOJ still has
a long way to go to normalize rates with the rest of the world. And they will probably take it pretty slowly, so it may be a long, slow unwinding. Bitter medicine, but it probably needs to be taken.
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:18 AM   #32
Gone but not forgotten

Wiped out all my profits for the year .I have a 85/15 portfolio and I still manage to sleep at night .
When this settles down I'll re balance to something a little less risky .I was snorkeling in the Bahamas when this drop happened and was blissfully unaware of the markets tumble .What Luck !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Asset Allocation