Join Early Retirement Today

Re: How's your YTD
Old 01-09-2006, 10:02 PM   #141
Recycles dryer sheets

Im 6 months behind in paper work/software(argh!),but at first glance my SEP is up about 20%(wee!),and thats with only one trade that i can remember(still open position).My moms is a bit harder to discern since 2 IRA's were merged this year and the reconcile will be a smallish nightmare,but still respectable showing and should be around target which is SP500 +5%.Whats interesting is that total divvies spun off appear to yield ~5% of assets.A good portion of the early part of the yr was 30% cash which was moved into low yield short term CD's.REITS were/are about 16%(including REIT preferred CEF's)

Income Summary
Year to Date This Period Description
Money Funds Dividends $ 1,606.30 $ 391.78
Cash Dividends 37,983.03 7,612.79
Total Capital Gains 3,880.31 3,850.04
Partnership Distributions 2,050.26 249.77
Corporate Bond Interest 5,548.51 1,046.25
Certificate of Deposit Interest 2,326.27 145.85
Treasury Bond Interest 757.51
Total Income $ 54,152.19 $ 13,296.48

For my moms acct,going forward will be tougher since most "cash" cash has been drawn down over the past few years or deployed into assets.Looking to buy a slug of treasuries,cheapo coupons w/ discounts more than likely with 2-3 yrs of maturity left,a tad more preferreds CEF's and ~1.5 years of cash for emergencies.While my acct so far always outdoes my moms,its much more lopsided i.e, risk and more active which means work,but then i guess thats what sons are for.
Ive done her pretty well,just wish i would have bought more of everything when i did,but then last i saw it was the tortous that won the race.
Mums doesnt want to ride a rocket ship,she wants to ride a steady boat.Good luck all-ak
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2006, 06:24 AM   #142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I recently checked one of my old 401(k) accounts (which I'm in the process of rolling over), and found that in the 8 1/2 months of it's existence, the total gain during time period comes out to 18.09%.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:25 AM   #143
Dryer sheet wannabe

Well, the 2005 YTD results for the federal TSP 401-k are in and, based on my peculiar particular investment mix, mine returned 10.07%* Pretty good, I'd say, although several posters have reported higher gains.
renman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:27 PM   #144
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
I recently checked one of my old 401(k) accounts (which I'm in the process of rolling over), and found that in the 8 1/2 months of it's existence, the total gain during time period comes out to 18.09%.
This is the beauty of having multiple accounts.* You can usually find one that did well ... even if the combined result is mediocre.

My spouse has an IRA that returned more than 35% in 2005.* *So what if it amounts to less than 1% of our invested assets. I'm not gonna tell you about her other account that went down 25% (because it amounts to less than 0.5% of our invested assets, not because it went down so much).
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:42 PM   #145

My Vanguard account was up 20% last year (6% of total portfolio).
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:57 PM   #146

I can't wait to see how everyone does in 2006 if the stock market actually goes up this year.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:17 PM   #147
Recycles dryer sheets

11.3 % and I am very pleased with the results. I am now above the market value at the DOW's high. No new money, no withdrawals, but a bit of reallocation to funds that hold dividend yielding stocks (reinvested) and about 23% cash (one year CDs at Corus Bank).
Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:30 PM   #148
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm still waiting for a quarterly statement for one account, which should raise the numbers a bit, but so far it looks like my portfolio managed a total net gain of 20%, and an annualized IRR of 25%, over the course of 2005.

Of course, I do my accounting in yen, which made a big difference this year compared to most others' results. I also have a relatively large weighting in Japanese stocks compared to others here, which went gangbusters this year. I'm a passive investor, so I can't take any credit for boosting returns through any kind of cleverness.

And yes, I have reported dismal numbers in the past, albeit on other forums, so this is not a cherry-picked result. I started investing in 2000, had massively negative returns for the first two years, and didn't even break even until some time in 2003. Fortunately, I was dumb/trusting enough to keep cost-averaging through the big dip -- and I hope I remain so through the next big dip, when I will have a bit more riding on the roller coaster.

Bpp
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:34 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp
I also have a relatively large weighting in Japanese stocks compared to others here, which went gangbusters this year.
He he. My 20% Vanguard returns were primarily from Japanese stock via the VG pacific index fund. The gains have been so high, I'm tempted to sell. Bpp, what is the perception of the huge market gains in Japan? Does the grocery store clerk hand out stock tips?
Old 01-12-2006, 07:05 PM   #150
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
The gains have been so high, I'm tempted to sell. Bpp, what is the perception of the huge market gains in Japan? Does the grocery store clerk hand out stock tips?
Not quite that bad...yet. But the performance of the market has certainly gotten people's attention lately. 2005's rise of ~40% was the second-highest ever, exceeded only by the 42% rise of 1989 (or was it 88?), during the bubble. Considering that the market hit 20-year lows just 3 years ago, it does feel a bit dizzying...

FWIW, Mikew and I exchanged some thoughts in the following thread:
http://early-retirement.org/forums/index.php?topic=4650

Bpp
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 06:21 AM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp
Not quite that bad...yet. But the performance of the market has certainly gotten people's attention lately. 2005's rise of ~40% was the second-highest ever, exceeded only by the 42% rise of 1989 (or was it 88?), during the bubble. Considering that the market hit 20-year lows just 3 years ago, it does feel a bit dizzying...
Thanks for your take. Doesn't sound too frenzied there yet. And I guess a lot of Japanese still have "money in the bank" that might come into play should the market continue doing well for a few more years.

I have almost reached my target allocation for my pacific index mutual fund, so I guess I'll contribute to reach the target allocation, and then let it ride!
Old 01-13-2006, 05:52 PM   #152

I figured out my final ROI for 12/31/2005:* 8.28%
Old 01-14-2006, 11:50 AM   #153
Confused about dryer sheets

Here are my figures as best as I can compute them:

ROTH IRA $6,162 1.8%
Ten shares of GOOG offset by losses in DIS

ROTH IRA 8,353 19.4%
AMX and URBN

IRA 8,190 -0.3%
COY Hi Yield Fund dropped 12% which wiped out my YTD gains

401K ROLLOVER 196,920 11.5%
GOOG, AMLN,FLR,KMI,MAKOX,PWI were sold for gains. Still holding some GOOG with over a 50% gain

TAXABLE ACCT 111,115 10.9%
ET,GOOG

Overall 10.65%
That doesn't include the low return on T-bills or my wife's account. Too hard to figure her return since she is still contributing to it.

Old 01-29-2006, 04:35 PM   #154
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

(This post moved from another area. It belongs here, though.)

I checked the numbers on Dec 3rd for my IRAs at Vanguard's web site.

* Rebalanced recently after 4 years to expand international to ~42% of total.
* ~80% in Vanguard funds (mostly indexes), 20% in managed international funds.
* 100% in equities (except for MM fund, where the dividends go until next rebalancing--this effect is so small I may go back to automatic reinvestment--but essentially 100% invested).
* No new money in 4 years.
* I just read the year-end totals off the graph and calculated the % return by hand.

Dec-01 base
Dec-02 -13%
Dec-03 +33%
Dec-04 +18%
Dec-05 +13%

Average since Dec 01 = +11.6%/annum. Much, much better than I ever expected.

Vanguard doesn't like my allocation. It differs from total world averages. I still feel Japan and Europe are sick and have not taken adequate corrective actions yet. Of course, that means I will miss the bounce. And then there is Andy Tobias' question: Yeah, it's a bad stock [fund/market], but is there no price at which you wouldn't buy it? (My answer: no. )

My total overall expense ratio is 0.57% (compare with Vanguard's average expense ratio of 0.22% and industry averge of 1.37%--numbers from Vanguard).

I believe in index funds. However, there is some thought that in international funds, active management may have an edge, and I am taking a flyer on Vanguard's health care fund--so shoot me.

I guess this is the answer to Andy Tobias' question:

http://www.gummy-stuff.org/markets.htm

Look what I am missing.

Cheers,

Ed