Join Early Retirement Today

HSA Questions
Old 10-13-2007, 08:27 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

HSA Questions

Just curious how many here take advantage of HSA ? They look like no brainers to me and I plan to set one up before the end of the year. I would like to hear any pros, cons or just observations concerning HSA. Who offers the best HSA with investing choice flexiability, etc., etc.?

Aprreciate any and all replies.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2007, 09:21 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Recommended. Do some searches on this forum.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:33 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Recommended. Do some searches on this forum.
Yes, search here and on bogleheads site for recommendations.

Guide to the Vanguard Diehards Forums

I have an HSA and it is a minimal hassle for the tax savings.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:59 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

If you are eligible, an HSA is a no brainer. The money you put in is tax deductible, It grows tax deffered, any money you don't use is rolled over to the next year, and after age 65 you can take out the money for any purpose tax free. At least this is my understanding. I make the max. contribution every year and don't plan on using any if possible.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:58 PM   #5

I'm in one and I max out the contribution every year. I do pay my medical bills with the money in it but that's only about 1/4 of what I put into it. The "payment" is with tax free money so I figure it's probably worth more to me now than after retirement when I like to think I'll be in a lower tax rate.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:03 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I use HSA Bank as they can invest your money with TD Ameritrade. Better than earning a couple percent interest.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:02 PM   #7

Curious why somebody would contribute to one of these in FIRE vs. just a high deductible plan? Maybe it was T-Al that looked at the costs...After you FIRE, why would there be a need to be putting money in into a tax deductible account since you are no longer saving but rather taking income from your portfolio?
Old 10-13-2007, 08:06 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

If you don't use up all the money each year, its growth is tax deferred and if you use it for allowed health care costs, no tax will be due on the growth at all.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:13 PM   #9

ok....I see...makes more sense...thanks...
Old 10-13-2007, 08:14 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle View Post
Curious why somebody would contribute to one of these in FIRE vs. just a high deductible plan? Maybe it was T-Al that looked at the costs...After you FIRE, why would there be a need to be putting money in into a tax deductible account since you are no longer saving but rather taking income from your portfolio?
I have a high deductible health care plan provided by my former employer. I use the HSA to pay for deductibles and co-pays, providing a tax deduction.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:26 AM   #11

Pro: One of few (perhaps only?)vehicles where you get both upfront deduction and nontaxable withdrawals (for qualifed medical expenses) as well as tax sheltered growth.
Deduction of contributions even tho you don't itemize. Some use it solely for the tax sheltered growth, paying medical expenses from outside the HSA. Apparently you can save the old medical bills since starting HSA and then, years later, use them as justification to withdraw funds from the HSA. Extra contributions allowed for older folks (>55 yrs old)

Con: Expenses can be high percentage of small accounts so need to shop around carefully. Must be used in conjunction w/ high deductible health plan so need to make sure the tax benefits of HSA outweigh the higher expenses of that HDHP
Old 10-14-2007, 11:29 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
After you FIRE, why would there be a need to be putting money in into a tax deductible account since you are no longer saving but rather taking income from your portfolio?
Good point, but here's why:

1. It grows (compounds) tax free

2. Although my tax and tax rate at this point are low, I still save by deducting my HSA contributions each year. At the 15% tax rate, I save $427 in taxes for each annual $2850 investment.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:34 AM   #13

This year, MegaCorp offers one. We are going to contribute to the HSA and DW's FSA with an eye to taking the money out of the FSA first and keeping as much as possible in the HSA.