Join Early Retirement Today

HSA Tax Analysis
Old 10-31-2007, 11:43 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

HSA Tax Analysis

Here's my first draft at answering the question:

How much do I benefit from leaving money in my HSA account for ten years, as opposed to using the funds immediately for medical expenses?

That is, how much benefit do I get from the tax free compounding?

To make it simple, I assume that the account makes x% gain each year, all of which is taxed at y%. There are some other complications that I've ignored. For example, if the money is never used for medical expenses, I have to pay tax on it.

So at this point, I figure I'll have about $4K more at the end of 10 years if I leave the money in the HSA account.

Let me know what mistakes I've made and I'll revise the spreadsheet.

HSATaxAnalysis.jpg

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the info. t-al. I see your only putting in for one person. I assume if you were investing the max ( $5650 for 2007) this should more than double the amount you would have. Have we confirmed the fact that you can take out tax-free for medical bills incurred from previous years?

Old 10-31-2007, 04:56 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Where/How are you paying for your medical expenses?

If you are investing $2850/year and you have $2000/year in medical expenses - how are you covering those expenses, if you are not using your HSA $$s? I think there is some "opportunity lost" that you also have to factor in for that- or am I missing something.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:00 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

He's just looking at the benefit of tax-free compounding. If you have the choice of paying bills from a taxable account or a tax-free account, use the taxable account.

Personally, I'm maxing out my HSA account and letting it compound forever. I think congress will eventually figure out that it's just a tax shelter.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:03 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Have we confirmed the fact that you can take out tax-free for medical bills incurred from previous years?
Yes, on page 30 of this document:

http://www.treas.gov/offices/public-...SAs_051807.pdf

it says:

HSA Distributions can be used to
reimburse prior years’ expenses as long
as they were incurred on or after the date
the HSA was established.
– No time limit on when distribution must occur
– Individual must keep records sufficient to
prove that:
• the expenses were incurred,
• they were not paid for or reimbursed by another
source or taken as an itemized deduction

Quote:
I see your only putting in for one person.
Right. Luckily my wife didn't qualify, and she's still on a non-hsa high deductible plan. I say "luckily" because if she were on the plan, our "family" deductible would have been $7,000 instead of $3.500, and my hernia repair and colonoscopy this year would have cost me $7K! Also I found out that I can use my HSA money for wife's expenses too (thanks, Martha). Wild huh? Sounds too good to be true.

Quote:
Where/How are you paying for your medical expenses?
As most in this forum, I have enough after tax money for our usually modest medical expenses. There's no lost investment opportunity here; by paying with after tax funds, I have the opportunity to have my money compound tax free.