Hum, just checked my YTD return as of 6-30-19

Floridatennisplayer

Recycles dryer sheets
Plus 7.2%!

This is on my Fidelity managed roll over 401kbalance. I’m shocked. Here I was thinking of dropping them managing it myself and eliminating those fees and just going with splitting it into just two funds...Wellington and Wesley but they are both down 1% ytd.

Frankly I’m surprised!

What is it invested in? Just wondering if they made a big bet that went well but could just as easily gone the other way or reverse itself.

IOW, wondering if they were good or if they were lucky.

What is it invested in?

IOW, wondering if they were good or if they were lucky.

One of my holdings is FDSVX (Fido Growth Discovery) It's been consistently over 10% for 5, 10 and 15 years, and 12.3 YTD.

My brother has about 70% of his holdings in this fund so he does pretty well YoY (and a 34% gain last year)

I'm getting a little bit better over those years with TRPrice RPMGX (Mid-Cap) but with a 7.2% YTD.

An S&P could get you similar results but with this year lagging somewhat.

Sadly, I'm running just under 2% YTD overall for the year however.

Last edited:
Through 6 of 2019? Can you tell me the prices of some of your holdings on 6/30/19? IF you could do that, I will be a very, VERY rich man in less than a year! :)

My stock picker guy is doing a good job too. He's beating FUSVX including fees. He has ever since I've been with him.

You guys keep telling me the AUM FA's aren't worth their salt and I'll keep using them - :)

It has been a stock pickers market this year, not an index year. Even my conservative stuff like Fidelity Puritan is up almost 5% YTD.

This looks like it may be heading for an active vs passive debate. Please don't go there. Nobody will win.

Oops meant 2018. I have 2019 heavy on my mind as Independence Day 2019 I am declaring my own independence from megacorp

This looks like it may be heading for an active vs passive debate. Please don't go there. Nobody will win.
One side will win...this year (who knows if it will be active versus passive)....for every winner, there's a loser.

Are you SURE it's YTD and not 1 year? My fidelity managed account is up about that much for 1 year. YTD I'm down about 1%.

Well, oops....that was 1 year return! YTD including fees is ...........-0.01% return

So it is not so good....

YTD to 6/30 for only Vanguard (take time to get others, but they did better) is 5.76%... to date is over 8%

For 1 year is shows 15.6%....

Now 7.2 does not look so good, nor -.01....

Actually better than the Wesley and Wellington. -2.13 and -1.13 which was what I was originally going with.

2017 = +18.49%
1/18-6/30/18 = +7.57%
YTD (7/12/18) = +7.75%
But I went conservative in 2017 moving 10% into CDs & 10% taxfree bonds as I met my target # so anticipate future returns to be lower than past

Last edited:
Well, oops....that was 1 year return! YTD including fees is ...........-0.01% return

My Fidelity rep told me this a long time ago. He said track your investment performance against a similar style manager, you can find the style indexes in the performance tab on the Fido site. He said if you are close, than don’t pay for a managed account, it would not be worth the fees.

I have always been at least right on par or better than a “balanced” manager so I would never pay the management fee. You might consider that same.

I'm up a little over 5%. 100% equities. TSP account is in 50/50 C and S funds and Vanguard Total Stock Market Index. I FIREd at 52 three years ago with a good pension and not taking any withdrawals from retirement accounts. That's why I've been ok with 100% stocks. But next year I plan to begin a 2% WR to fund some travel and improve lifestyle a bit. So...with current market valuations and rising interest rates, I am thinking about shifting to 50% Fed securities, then over the next five years building a reverse glad path back to 80% stocks. This in hopes of reducing SORR.

I'm real close to the same numbers in Feb.2018 when it hit a high. as of 02/12/2018 I'm plus 7.90%. I'm very please with it could be in negative territory.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom