Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Humberto Cruz on variable withdrawal rates
Old 06-21-2005, 07:54 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nice beaver, Al.

ROFLLLLLLL

I think we're overanalyzing. Eat, drink, be merry.

Note I said "merry", not "mary".
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2005, 12:46 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper
It's pretty simple really.

Let's say the nest egg is $500 000. On 12 31 you set the bar for the next year at 5% or $25 000.

A year later, after the markets have gone nuts, the stash is worth $600 000.
You take 5% or $30 000.

But oh! oh! The market has a major dump the next year, and after your 5% was deducted, your balance is only $400 000!
You then proceed to take only 5% for the following year or $20 000.

If you have a balanced portfolio, the fluctuations will still be there but staying the course means your ups and downs will be within reason.

Your base, SS or CPP/OAS is a guaranteed safety net.

The 5% keeps you from pigging out in the good times and panicking in the bad times.
The 95% Rule would liet you spend 95% of 30k in that third year, or 28.5k. It is a lot better than having to drop from 30k to 20k in a year. If markets were still down the second year, you would spend 95% of 28.5k, or $27,070.

Turns out this works historically with very little price to pay in terms of survival rates or SWR. Even in a rough time like 1965-1995, it only 'bit' during 6 years, and the portfolio survived and thrived back to its original levels and indeed 50% above the original real value by 1994.

On the other hand, the normal 4% SWR inflation-adjusted annually etc. ended up with portfolio values about 1/3 as high, while the 5% crashed and burned at every bond/equity blend. (This from the graphs on Bernstein's Intelligent Asset Allcocator, Pages 171-172.

True you get less to spend during those years of high inflation, or years when the markets are sour, but you could tighten your belt or get a bit of part-time work to make ends meet. This would be well worth it if you thereby gained high confidence that your whole portfolio and ER or Retirement plans weren't at risk of flat-lining inside of 25 years, the way the traditional method did for the retiree class of 1965. I don't iknow about you all, but that is the only thing that used to give me shivers about ER. The 4%+ ( 5% seems a bit high based on my research) straight percent withdrawal method, made more livable by the 95% Rule, goes a long way toward fixing that by pushing you to make lots of little adjustments along the way each year when they feel natural and are not so painful.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:31 PM   #23

Ok I understand the variable WR concept.
What I need now is a calculator that will factor in
portfolio growth- effect of inflation on portfolio.

I want to compute a VWR of 2% with assumed return of 6% and assumed inflation of 3%

Where can I find that?
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 10:17 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick
I want to compute a VWR of 2% with assumed return of 6% and assumed inflation of 3%
6%-3% = 3% after inflation (before taxes).

Now take out 2% of (portfoliox1.03).

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 10:54 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
6%-3% = 3% after inflation (before taxes).

Now take out 2% of (portfoliox1.03).
Hey Nords, that's the hard way.* I need 40 years worth of data. I was hoping for one of those lazy boy enter the info and push enter calculators.
Wow this ER sure is hard.* Maybe I'll just divide it up into 40 piles for 40 years. With any luck the government will find a way to compute inflation so there ain't none. That would save a lot of work.
Thanks

JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 12:03 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick
Ok I understand the variable WR concept.
What I need now is a calculator that will factor in
portfolio growth- effect of inflation on portfolio.

Where can I find that?
If I understand you, you want to simulate what the variable withdrawal would do to you over time. You can use FIRECALC to look at this. Just set your withdrawal rate to zero and use the expense ratio to reflect the actual expense ratio plus your variable withdrawal rate.

Now comes the tedious part. . . You have to run the detailed simulation then cut and past the results into a spreadsheet. Then you can use the maximum and minimum function to identify the highest and lowest portfolio values. Your highest and lowest historical withdrawals would simply be your variable withdrawal rate times the portfolio value.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 12:14 AM   #27

Heres the original posting that looks at the effect of mixing the conventional inflation adjusted SWR with the variable SWR. You don't have to look on intrcst's board if you don't want to:

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=2048.0

My personal withdrawal strategy has been to spend money when I want to. But I always check the result against the more idealized models.

The simulations described in the link above were an attempt to examine the spending model that a number of posters seemed to be describing. They have a basic budget that they don't want to compromise on and a more discretionary budget that they could do without if the option were to go back to work. The simulations do not account for the impact of following the advice of a stuffed beaver.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 08:16 PM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

Has anyone read the Paul Merriman book Humberto Cruz also recommended in this article? Live it Up without Outliving Your Money! : 10 Steps to a Perfect Retirement Portfolio

Comments on the book?
Old 06-29-2005, 11:43 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRBob

When we modelled this with 75+ years of historical data, the results were encouraging -- it shaved maybe 2/10s of a percent off the Safe Withdrawal Rate.* Success rates dropped a few percent in some cases, no change in others.
ESRBob, what did you use to do the modelling? Can I buy the program somewhere?

Thanks,

Patrick

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote