Join Early Retirement Today

Hurray! Grassley to investigate Bear paper
Old 03-28-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hurray! Grassley to investigate Bear paper

I hope it happens, Charles Grassley and others want to make public the quality level of the paper that Bear put on the Fed's account on behalf of all of us. I think it will be low quality.

If it is, it's time to abolish the FED. Who's been saying that? Jim Rogers, Ron Paul, anyone else?

All the Tinfoil hats I suppose?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2008, 06:58 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

All we need is $1,375,000,000,000,000 worth of gold, and we can replace our fiat currency...

I'll donate a couple of gold teeth...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:10 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
All we need is $1,375,000,000,000,000 worth of gold, and we can replace our fiat currency...

Now wait a minute. This is seriounesses businesses.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:05 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Makes good sense. After all, the fillings are how the gummint and the Gnomes of Zurich control your mond, dontchaknow.

Grassley is just grandstanding for the rubes. It will result in some muchraking journalism of the most shallow and clueless sort, a few soundbites, and not much else.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Grassley is just grandstanding for the rubes. It will result in some muchraking journalism of the most shallow and clueless sort, a few soundbites, and not much else.
I'm not so sure of that. My feeling is that the average american, as opposed to the Wall Street crowd, is pretty fed up with high prices, dropping home prices, and a looming recession. To see the Government giving away money to bail out a Wall Street firm that made stupid loans and took on 30 to 1 leveraged risk isn't sitting well. The Dems will start beating it like a drum. I think it may have legs. Since Bear got a bailout watch out for everyone else asking for a handout. Homeowner bailout plans are already stirring, Bush sounded today like even he wouldn't fight it too much. Time will tell. I expect some intensive regulation as a minimum. Especially if it becomes obvious Bear unloaded junk paper on the Fed.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:41 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockOn View Post
I'm not so sure of that. My feeling is that the average american, as opposed to the Wall Street crowd, is pretty fed up with high prices, dropping home prices, and a looming recession. To see the Government giving away money to bail out a Wall Street firm that made stupid loans and took on 30 to 1 leveraged risk isn't sitting well. The Dems will start beating it like a drum. I think it may have legs. Since Bear got a bailout watch out for everyone else asking for a handout. Homeowner bailout plans are already stirring, Bush sounded today like even he wouldn't fight it too much. Time will tell. I expect some intensive regulation as a minimum. Especially if it becomes obvious Bear unloaded junk paper on the Fed.
Much luck to those hoping to be bailed out; they will need it.

The Fed has a LOT of autonomy. I rather doubt if Grassley can do anything more than jawbone. Hence my belief that this is about soundbites rather than substance.

- Will Rogers
Old 03-28-2008, 08:43 PM   #7

Quote:

You sure you have enough zero's. Maybe if we make a dollar equal to 0.0000000000000000000000000001 of an oz of gold we make it work.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:54 PM   #8

Quote:
The Fed has a LOT of autonomy. I rather doubt if Grassley can do anything more than jawbone. Hence my belief that this is about soundbites rather than substance.
Time will tell, I see politicians getting themselves aligned with a public outrage, things could hit the fan. Especially if the Bear paper is declared more than a 50% write off during the hearings.

I dind't catch it all, but for what I did hear it sounded like Bush was biting on a homeowner bailout today.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:03 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Especially if the Bear paper is declared more than a 50% write off during the hearings.
That's how you can tell Bernanke is nobody's fool: very few details of the transaction and exactly what paper the fed is exposed to have been released.

- Will Rogers
Old 03-28-2008, 09:07 PM   #10

You don't think Grassley will get Bernacke to disclose the details? Grassley said tonight that he was told that the information was going to be released.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:12 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You don't think Grassley will get Bernacke to disclose the details? Grassley said tonight that he was told that the information was going to be released.
Haaaahahahaaaha!!!

Remember, Congress had to pass a law just to get the Fed chief to testify before it a couple times a year. I think Uncle Ben will say as much as he wishes to. And no more.

- Will Rogers
Old 03-28-2008, 09:22 PM   #12

We'll see, you are probably correct. We'll have to wait to see who gets to cash in on "I told You So". I'm long the forced "nearly full" disclosure by Uncle Ben.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:24 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We'll see, you are probably correct. We'll have to wait to see who gets to cash in on "I told You So". I'm long the forced "nearly full" disclosure by Uncle Ben.
Assuming there is some disclosure, it will be interesting to see what exactly they release. Securities by CUSIP? I doubt it. By rating stratification and asset class? Maybe. Really don't know what they will tell the world. In any case, JP Morgan is on the hook for the first $1 billion of losses, so I don't imagine the Fed will realize any significant loss (or possibly any loss).

- Will Rogers
Old 03-28-2008, 09:25 PM   #14

Quote:

So you don't trust the Fed. But you will take a Congressman's word that they got full disclosure.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
So you don't trust the Fed. But you will take a Congressman's word that they got full disclosure.
No I wouldn't trust his word if that's all I got. He said he wants "full public disclosure", if I heard him right. Full sunshine.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:29 PM   #16

I watched a news show on HDnet a couple of weeks ago that made me sit up and take notice. I think it was a Dan Rather's news programme.

It showed a U.S. army captain (female) handing out stacks and stacks of newly minted $100 bills to some tribal leaders in Iraq. They were supposed to distribute it to locals to keep highways open and buy the peace. We are talking about 10's of $millions in just this one area.

I looked at those stacks of paper and realized that the printing presses must be going full full tilt.

Makes me glad I have some gold in the portfolio.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper View Post
I watched a news show on HDnet a couple of weeks ago that made me sit up and take notice. I think it was a Dan Rather's news programme.

It showed a U.S. army captain (female) handing out stacks and stacks of newly minted $100 bills to some tribal leaders in Iraq. They were supposed to distribute it to locals to keep highways open and buy the peace. We are talking about 10's of $millions in just this one area.

I looked at those stacks of paper and realized that the printing presses must be going full full tilt.

Better yet stock up on water and ammo.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Assuming there is some disclosure, it will be interesting to see what exactly they release. Securities by CUSIP? I doubt it. By rating stratification and asset class? Maybe. Really don't know what they will tell the world. In any case, JP Morgan is on the hook for the first $1 billion of losses, so I don't imagine the Fed will realize any significant loss (or possibly any loss).
That is worth a small bet. I think there will be a significant loss on many of the MBS securities which is what I am assuming Bear sent to the FED.

I suppose the FED could ignite the printing presses and the problem could vanish and I could lose the bet. I noticed the monetary base spiked a little on the last report.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:34 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper View Post

I have the world's largest producer of methanol and a large owner of dry bulk ships in my portfolio for much the same reason.

The spending on this idiot misadventure is astonishing. Its also a constant source of amazement to me that orthodox republicans are so staunchly behind continuing it indefinately. I know they are big fans of the Crusade Against the Brown Peoples, but I would have thought that fiscal conservatism would come in there at some point.

- Will Rogers
Old 03-28-2008, 09:37 PM   #20

Well good news. It should end next election with Obama.