Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 08:25 AM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgrid Organic Farmer View Post
If you purchased a property for $100k, you are not likely going to sell it for $200k.

If you bought property for $100k and paid off the mortgage, then you could borrow $100k against it, and then sell the property for $100k. The IRS would see that you sold it for the same price you had paid to buy it, and there would be no taxes.
Ummm.... money is fungible.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2018, 08:45 AM   #142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I still have a suspicion that OP is not following the law as he does not seem to have paid any cap gains taxes on his properties and I am not sure if he put something down on the tax return he calculated the basis correctly....

However, he did say he was audited and was fine, but not sure when that was and did it that took into account the last 'sale' or foreclosure...
The OP appears to have rolled all his gains into this property, presumably through a series of 1031 exchanges. The value of the property dropped and all the gains evaporated. He avoided tax on the debt "forgiveness" via bankruptcy. I suspect any depreciation recapture was offset as well.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:33 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
He was specific and so was I... spending to maintain a bldg is current expense...

If I were you, I would get a new accountant... if someone destroyed cabinets and I had to put new ones in I would expense that as repairs, not a capital improvement.... not sure about HVAC... that would probably be capital if you put in a new one... but repairing the old one is current expense....

BTW, if you have those assets separate from the bldg then you get to expense the remaining balance when they were retired or destroyed....

The IRS rules are certainly open to interpretation. I do my own taxes. I have read the rules over and over for capital versus expenses and I have to admit I tend to take the conservative approach. Repairs for sure such as HVAC repairs are certainly expense but here’s the scenario with the cabinets. The tenants were section 8 and one of the worst we’ve seen. In a year they allowed the house the be overrun with lots and lots of roaches. I’ve never seen so many roaches in my life. The roaches infested the walls, carpets, cabinets including the base cabinets, etc and we had no choice but to throw everything out and start again. Some maintenance expense are considered capital. For example if you are doing a partial roof repair on a big apartment building, I cannot see how that would be not capital.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:54 AM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Don’t have a dog in this hunt, but stashing a few dollars away tax-deferred for thirty years in low-cost index funds sure sounds easier than dealing with tenants, the IRS, bankruptcy court, etc.

Given my stash is primarily/mostly in stock/bond funds, FIREcalc was a useful input in my analysis of when I had “enough”.

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 04-17-2018, 10:16 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Don’t have a dog in this hunt, but stashing a few dollars away tax-deferred for thirty years in low-cost index funds sure sounds easier than dealing with tenants, the IRS, bankruptcy court, etc.

Given my stash is primarily/mostly in stock/bond funds, FIREcalc was a useful input in my analysis of when I had “enough”.
In an interview Warren Buffet once related that in his early days, after having much success as an investor, everyone he knew kept telling him "Warren you should put that money into real estate." He said, "Why would I want to go into real estate when this stock market thing is so easy?"
Old 04-17-2018, 03:16 PM   #146
Full time employment: Posting here.

There was never an 'open enrollment' season for TSP during my Active Duty career.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:09 PM   #147

Quote:
There was never an 'open enrollment' season for TSP during my Active Duty career.
Did you max out your IRA's?

Spreading your money among multiple classes of assets would have probably yielded a better result overall, as long as you did not drain your IRA's to keep the apartment building.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:08 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Did you max out your IRA's?

Spreading your money among multiple classes of assets would have probably yielded a better result overall, as long as you did not drain your IRA's to keep the apartment building.
No. I remained focused on the highest net gain investment I could find, to establish our farm. It worked.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:27 PM   #149

Quote:
No. I remained focused on the highest net gain investment I could find, to establish our farm. It worked.
You got the farm but lost everything else. I don't think you pulled all your real estate equity out to buy the farm, just some of it. If some of the equity or the money that created the equity had gone into protected retirement accounts instead of the apartment black hole, you would have ended up with more. Without the specific numbers to consider, I can't do any math to illustrate this, but I'm pretty sure this is the case, based on what you have said.

What I'm saying is your investment prejudices and what turned out to be destructive assumptions about your investment real estate left you a lot poorer than you might have have been had you been more open to other investments. I'm a numbers person. I like to see operating statements and the data to back up the assumptions underlying the operating statements. You haven't provided any numbers that support buying multi tenant properties in your area of Maine. Maybe it's a good time now to examine your prejudices and assumptions, before you again buy real estate that may not perform as you would like or need it to perform.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:32 PM   #150

Money is not all there is. Money will come and it will go. I achieved the goal that I wanted.

Now I have another apartment building, much larger than the last.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:40 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Money is not all there is. Money will come and it will go. I achieved the goal that I wanted.

Why should we believe anything you say?
Old 04-17-2018, 08:43 PM   #152
Moderator Emeritus

I think this thread is running out of gas....
Old 04-17-2018, 08:50 PM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Hey, I am skeptical on some of what you put down but not on this...

Congrats on getting to the place you had envisioned when you were young... that is a successful life IMO...
Old 04-17-2018, 09:25 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Why should we believe anything you say?
Why would I care?

You may believe anything you wish to believe.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:17 PM   #155

This whole thread is a wind-up

Old 04-18-2018, 06:10 AM   #156
Administrator

Closed Thread