Join Early Retirement Today

I am new to this forum. Need info on IRA distribution
Old 01-06-2006, 01:07 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

I am new to this forum. Need info on IRA distribution

I am new to this forum.* Need info on taking distributions from tradional ira.* Stocks in the ira account have appreciated.* Qquestions:
(1) if I sell the stock in the ira account, are the cash proceeds subject to capital gain tax?
(2) If I take the cash as distribution, will it be subject only to ordinary income tax?
(3) If I transfer the appreciated stock to a taxable account, the dollar value of the stock will be considered distribution which will be taxed as ordinary income?
(4) if I transfer the stock to a taxable account and pay the ordinary income tax on the distribution, can I keep the stock for further gains and use the distribution price as the cost basis?

Where I can get info on such questions?* Thanks
metro9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: I am new to this forum. Need info on IRA distribution
Old 01-06-2006, 01:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Re: I am new to this forum. Need info on IRA distribution

Welcome to the board, Metro.*
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro9
(1) if I sell the stock in the ira account, are the cash proceeds subject to capital gain tax?
No, IRA transactions are tax-free when the proceeds stay in the IRA.* It's moving the proceeds out of the IRA that makes them subject to income tax.

Quote:
(2) If I take the cash as distribution, will it be subject only to ordinary income tax?
Yup, provided that you're at least 59 1/2 years old.* This is a minefield of exceptions, though, so read up on the subject before you start taking money out of the IRA.

Quote:
(3) If I transfer the appreciated stock to a taxable account, the dollar value of the stock will be considered distribution which will be taxed as ordinary income?
Transfers such as you describe aren't done between IRAs and taxable accounts.* You'd have to sell the appreciated stock, transfer the cash from the IRA to a taxable account (subject to the age & distribution restrictions!), and purchase the stock.* The amount of money that's transferred is income.

Quote:
(4) if I transfer the stock to a taxable account and pay the ordinary income tax on the distribution, can I keep the stock for further gains and use the distribution price as the cost basis?
The transfer is actually a sale, and once you've taken the cash out of the IRA you can do whatever you want with it (subject to taxes & penalties).* But the cost basis will be the price you pay for the new investment.

Quote:
Where I can get info on such questions?* Thanks
There are a few places:
- IRS Pub 590, the rulebook.
- A library copy of Ed Slott's book "The Retirement Savings Time Bomb".
- And finally, posting these questions at Ed's discussion board, where experienced & published CPAs live to answer any IRA question no matter how basic or obscure.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ira