Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-06-2011, 08:25 AM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman View Post
Very surprising that the government and the gurus do not discuss the impact of portfolio return on the breakeven age. It seems misleading. You got to be careful of what you hear and read.
Well I do declare (in Scarlett O'hara voice) it appears the government may be worried that the Social Security "free money pot" might dry up if everyone decided that 62 was the age to begin receiving. And at the worst of times, with SS looking frail and just as the boomers come storming in.

That would deprive them of a huge piggy bank for pork barrel spending and such.

I suspect we may soon see an option added to the Early, Normal, Late Retirement Age, it will be called Last Man Standing Retirement Age. A good marketing tool might be:
Age 62 ERA = 75%
Age 66 NRA = 100%
Age 70LRA = 132%
Age 90 LMSRA = 400%

I can see the guru's headline now, "Golden Opportunity on Amazing New SS Benefit Increase".
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman View Post
I could be wrong all of this, but, I tried to make the best decision possible for me, given the assumptions going forward. Ha...its all a crapshoot ya know! I hope my dice are hot!
Budman, I did not intend to criticize your analysis, or your decision. Only to point out that different people will have different ways of framing the question, and therefore will arrive at different answers even though everyone’s calculations be accurate. So one person’s analysis can be completely accurate, but nevertheless not a good copy for another person with different needs or perceptions.

My early age check would have been quite small, and I wanted a greater annuity allocation than that. So my decision was based on comparative annuities from Uncle and insurance companies. In any case, I will spend SS as it comes in, helping to take some pressure off my portfolio, rather than save it up and try to grow it, as I have no other pensions or non-portfolio sources of support. So an analysis such as yours would have been quite abstract given my plans.

In December of 2008 I did want money now in preference to money later, as it seemed that what was available in the stocks and bond markets was worth the change. Were it not for the do-over, that is what I would have had- no 62, not 70, but an intermediate age.

Ha
Old 01-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #83

Well I'm excited! I filled out the form to apply for SS on Tuesday (Jan. 4) and today got a call to verify some info. I turned 62 last June. My SS starts with a payment in February for all of January, it's not pro-rated.

She said when the info on 2010 earnings comes in (from the IRS... unknown as to date) if it affects the amount they will recalculate it and pay me the difference, retroactively to Jan 1, 2011. This has been way simpler than I thought it would be. No wait, no fuss.. and I get money coming in.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:09 PM   #84

thinker25, that little dancing Smiley is like a "Got my SS check comin in" mojo workin thang.

I expect Keb Mo to write a song about "Got my SS check comin in" and maybe use the "Flat Broke and Busted" style.

Congrats and glad it is comin in easy, and you now got party money.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:04 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
thinker25, that little dancing Smiley is like a "Got my SS check comin in" mojo workin thang.

I expect Keb Mo to write a song about "Got my SS check comin in" and maybe use the "Flat Broke and Busted" style.

Congrats and glad it is comin in easy, and you now got party money.
Thanks! Oh, you have no idea how accurate that is - I'm going on a blues cruise in 2 weeks! Keb Mo actually was on the first one I did, a year ago. Great live, by the way...

www.bluescruise.com It's my 3rd one in about a year and I already booked the next one (they do 2 a year). Highly recommend this if you like live music. 24/7 bands playing and jamming...

My mojo is definitely going to be working - and I plan to dance like nobody's watching...