Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

I Bond purchase limit exceeded
Old 11-20-2018, 05:46 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

I Bond purchase limit exceeded

It slipped my mind that there was a $10,000 limit on the purchase of I Bonds in any one year. I made three purchases of $5,000 on different dates this year, and didn't realize my mistake till the Treasury Dept sent me an e-mail very recently pointing out my mistake.

When I browsed the Treasury.gov website, I didn't see a way to sell (or in some way retract) my last purchase. Does anyone here know how to do this? Or does the Treasury Dept just send back the money at some point to me, without any action on my part?
DEC-1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2018, 06:04 AM   #2

I wonder why the email didn’t explain what will happen or what you need to do. No link?

My guess is that it will default to a non-I.Bond or you’ll get whatever the I-Bond gets as standard interest with no inflation, which I’d guess would be close to a standard bond. How long out did you buy?
Old 11-20-2018, 06:19 AM   #3

The message is a little abrupt.

"Your purchase exceeds the annual savings bond purchase limitation. Please be
advised the limit is $10,000 per series and TIN per calendar year. Repeated
violations mayresult in an action by this office; for example, a refund of
account holdings and/or account closure may occur.

Thank you for using TreasuryDirect."
Old 11-20-2018, 06:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
How long out did you buy?
I bonds are 30 year bonds, inflation adjusted every 6 months but redeemable after 1 year with a 3 month interest penalty or redeemable after 5 years without penalty.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:50 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As I understand it from a post a while ago on Bogleheads, nothing happens. You get to keep the extra bond. The stern warning sort of implies that by saying "refund of account holdings" may occur after further violations.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:52 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, nothing happens with the first violation.
Gill
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:05 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Helpful post and replies. I’ve made a $10K purchase this month but never thought about what happens if you exceed the annual limit.

I’ve gotten over the loss of the Savings Bond Wizard too!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:03 AM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

We were lucky, and jeanie and I bought I bonds a long time ago, between 2000 and 2003, when the restrictions were lower. Here's a bit from a post about IBonds, that mirrors our own experience.

https://retireby40.org/what-are-ibonds-why-im-buying/

Quote:
davidmichael
June 29, 2013, 10:32 am
I am coming into this discussion from a different viewpoint, namely, that of a 76 old who has made lots of money and also lost a fair amount due to the ups and downs of the stock market.

When I first retired, we shifted $60,000 into I-Bonds ($30,000 each), in 2001 when they paid 3% fixed rate plus variable inflation rate. To make a long story short, they recently doubled, so they are now worth $120,000. I know that a lot of people will say…”That’s not enough.” Well, here’s the deal. There was no risk, and there was no worry. My only regret is that we didn’t buy I-Bonds for several years before (or after) and place our entire retirement cache into this safe investment. They have become our Security Bucket for our last decade of life. Hopefully, we’ll have enough time for them to double again to $240,000 over the next 12 years.
Couldn't have said it better...
Old 11-21-2018, 04:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
As I understand it from a post a while ago on Bogleheads, nothing happens. You get to keep the extra bond. The stern warning sort of implies that by saying "refund of account holdings" may occur after further violations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
Yes, nothing happens with the first violation.
Gill
Thanks for your posts; that is useful information. Unless I hear back again, I won't chase this any more.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
We were lucky, and jeanie and I bought I bonds a long time ago, between 2000 and 2003, when the restrictions were lower. Here's a bit from a post about IBonds, that mirrors our own experience.

https://retireby40.org/what-are-ibonds-why-im-buying/

Couldn't have said it better...
The fixed interest rate is only 0.5% now but like you said it is a super safe investment, currently delivering 2.83% annually.