I Bought it, Because I Can

Blue Collar Guy

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Bought a bottle of LOUIS XIII Cognac. Center piece of my bar. Looks sharp. Every month or so i asked the store owner if you want $2500 for it ill take it. He told me no its $3000 plus tax. O.K., it was a want not a need. He went on to tell me he used to have 3 of them and this is the last one. He will sell it and they are always going up in price.
Fathers day is coming, so i needed a few bottles of champagne. I waltz in, and he says $2800 out the door its yours. I reply, i have to give you plastic, i dont have that kind of cash on me. "SOLD".
If i lived like this when i was in my 20's, i would still be working, and i would have saved up zero. This is what "they" mean when they say reap the fruit of your labors. Im likin it.. I plan on harvesting more fruit soon.

Very cool. Now what to try first?
This will get you started:

Cooking with Cognac: Great Recipes
  • Snoop Dogg making mashed potatoes with Cognac (with Video)
  • A crème brulée of fois gras with Cognac
  • Cognac Shrimps
  • Venison Loin on Schupf Noodles with Lingonberry Cognac Sauce, Caramelized Chestnuts and Asparagus
  • Creamy Crab and Cognac Soup
  • Cognac Infused Herb-roasted Chicken breasts
  • Cognac Roasted Artichokes Recipe
  • Crown Roast of Pork with Cognac Cherry Glaze
  • Spice-Rubbed Turkey with Cognac Gravy
  • Creamy Nutmeg Cognac Salad Dressing
  • Steamed Seafood And Vegetable Stew with Cognac
  • Cognac Cheesecake
  • Maple & cognac marinated pork chops
  • Filet Mignon with Shallots and Cognac
  • Crêpes Suzette
  • Caramelized Fresh Pineapple Tiramisu
  • Chocolate Chestnut Torte with Chocolate Cognac Mousse
  • Tomato Cognac Soup
  • Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Cognac Chestnuts
  • Maple Cognac Glazed Ham with Winter Vegetables

Very cool. Now what to try first?
This will get you started:

Cooking with Cognac: Great Recipes
  • Snoop Dogg making mashed potatoes with Cognac (with Video)
  • A crème brulée of fois gras with Cognac
  • Cognac Shrimps
  • Venison Loin on Schupf Noodles with Lingonberry Cognac Sauce, Caramelized Chestnuts and Asparagus
  • Creamy Crab and Cognac Soup
  • Cognac Infused Herb-roasted Chicken breasts
  • Cognac Roasted Artichokes Recipe
  • Crown Roast of Pork with Cognac Cherry Glaze
  • Spice-Rubbed Turkey with Cognac Gravy
  • Creamy Nutmeg Cognac Salad Dressing
  • Steamed Seafood And Vegetable Stew with Cognac
  • Cognac Cheesecake
  • Maple & cognac marinated pork chops
  • Filet Mignon with Shallots and Cognac
  • Crêpes Suzette
  • Caramelized Fresh Pineapple Tiramisu
  • Chocolate Chestnut Torte with Chocolate Cognac Mousse
  • Tomato Cognac Soup
  • Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Cognac Chestnuts
  • Maple Cognac Glazed Ham with Winter Vegetables
Awesome list. I might break out the less expensive stuff to try these first.lol

I grew up around the food and beverage business and every time one of those baccarat crystal bottles was empty, there was a long list of employees who had called dibs on it. Enjoy...and don't you dare use it in any of those aforementioned recipes :)

Now that I think about it, think I'll buy one of those empty decanters on eBay for $150 and fill it with cheap stuff :)

Last edited:
My kids' schools was auctioning off a $6,000 bottle of bourbon that was donated to them by a famous distiller. Apparently, the distiller only makes 100 (or so) bottles a year and most of them are for charities. To be sold to generate money.

I thought about buying it but I am not into alcohol all that much...

I grew up around the food and beverage business and every time one of those baccarat crystal bottles was empty, there was a long list of employees who had called dibs on it. Enjoy...and don't you dare use it in any of those aforementioned recipes :)

Now that I think about it, think I'll buy one of those empty decanters on eBay for $150 and fill it with cheap stuff :)

Thank you, I believe ill share it on special occasions for sipping.

I think you need to look up RobbieB on this forum and exchange spending ideas.

Wow! I thought I was doing well when I bought a special bottle of single malt scotch in a Caithness decanter for $300!
After I finished the scotch, I sold the decanter on eBay for $75:)

$3,000 for a bottle of Cognac? :yuk: Not something I like, so I wouldn't pay even 3 cents for it. Each to his own.

I keep forgetting that the objective for me (lately) is to spend more. It's so ironic; like many here, I hardly had two cents to rub together when I was starting out. And now, everything is reversed.
I think you need to look up RobbieB on this forum and exchange spending ideas.
I need to start reading RobbieB's posts more carefully too. I do love steak. :D

Last edited:
I'm not even a cognac drinker, but I find myself excited for you, Blue Collar Guy. I appreciate passion in almost any form even when I don't share the passion myself.

Spending your money on what you're passionate about makes the most sense to me. ENJOY!! :greetings10:

I am passionate about Thunderbird. Whatever it costs, I'm down.

Ha

Ha

Go for it! My father's favorite was white Ripple.... :2funny: We kids teased him about his lowbrow tastes, but he really did like it better than more expensive wines.

I would mind a taste or sip and I'm not even a drinker. But I saw something similar at Costco, not sure Whisky or Cognac for $2200. It was very tempting but I'm not a drinker.

Congrats, It's nice to splurge a bit after a lifetime of hard work.

I love the way Koolau described this - the joy of being passionate about something.

$3,000 for a bottle of Cognac? :yuk: Not something I like, so I wouldn't pay even 3 cents for it. Each to his own.

I keep forgetting that the objective for me (lately) is to spend more. It's so ironic; like many here, I hardly had two cents to rub together when I was starting out. And now, everything is reversed.

I need to start reading RobbieB's posts more carefully too. I do love steak. :D

Thank you for your positive spin on my purchase:LOL:.

I'm not even a cognac drinker, but I find myself excited for you, Blue Collar Guy. I appreciate passion in almost any form even when I don't share the passion myself.

Spending your money on what you're passionate about makes the most sense to me. ENJOY!! :greetings10:

Thank you. I was very excited about this event.

Ha

For full disclosure, i happen to have a Bottle of Thunderbird in my bar as well. It was sort of a gag gift for the house warming. I also proudly display that as well.:D

I am a warbird junkie. I was recently able to fly a B-25, a MIG-15, and last week, an SNJ WW2 trainer. The total cost was over $4k, but it was worth every penny

Attachments

• IMG_5790.jpg
    IMG_5790.jpg
    617.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5958.jpg
    IMG_5958.jpg
    542.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1765.jpg
    IMG_1765.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 80
I am reminded of the 3 stooges episode where they are in Scotland. a Scottish character asks them how about a snort of his very rare whisky. they reply yes, and he pulls out a dust covered prized bottle. the Scottish gentleman opens the bottle, takes a deep sniff, replaces the cork, and puts the bottle back in the liquor cabinet.
bet it'll last for years using that method.

Back
Top Bottom