I can't figure out how I'll spend $40,000/year in retirement

Sure, convenience costs more but I am inclined to say, "so what", as long as my WR provides me with more than I am spending overall.

What's money for, anyway? Well, convenience is one thing that money can buy, and that some retirees appreciate even more than the thrill of the hunt for bargains.

+1.

Our expenses are in line with our retirement plan so convenience is important to us. If we come across deals we don't turn them down but we will not spend our time looking for bargains and don't care much about the thrill of the hunt.

It's one of the pastimes for some people, and may not be justifiable in terms of costs or convenience.

We cannot and do not justify many of the things that we do, like gardening, a 2nd home, eating out, travel, etc...

Last edited:
It's one of the pastimes for some people, and may not be justifiable in terms of costs or convenience.

We cannot and do not justify many of the things that we do, like gardening, a 2nd home, eating out, travel, etc...

You don't have to justify any spending decisions to me! I think you are enjoying your life while living within your means, so to me that is a success no matter how you look at it.

I can even reluctantly approve of your choice to maintain two homes. :D It's not my choice but then if we were all identical clones of one another, life (and the forum) would be pretty boring.

Gardening is totally worth it as long as you grow some tomatoes since there is no comparison in taste between home grown tomatoes and store bought IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

No, of course none of us have to justify any aspect of our life to anybody. Life's too short and we should all do what we like (as long as it does not impede someone else's pursuit of his happiness).

I was just saying that what people think of as a nuisance may be a fun activity to somebody else. We do not even eat the same cheese (see the concurrent fun thread on cheese).

Gardening is totally worth it as long as you grow some tomatoes since there is no comparison in taste between home grown tomatoes and store bought IMHO...
That's what I expect. Remains to be seen for me, after so many failed attempts. Maybe this year my luck will turn.

I would have better success of tasting vine-ripened tomatoes if I just advertised to buy it on craigslist from successful growers who do not know what to do with their bumper crop. See what I mean about convenience? ;)

Last edited:
I'm going to grow some tomatoes too one of these days. I've done it before much to the joy of the resident gophers, but I've got a new plan. Get some of those large ceramic pots with the tiny drain hole and maybe also glue some stainless steel mesh over so the little buggers don't take em down on me.

I'm going to grow some tomatoes too one of these days. I've done it before much to the joy of the resident gophers, but I've got a new plan. Get some of those large ceramic pots with the tiny drain hole and maybe also glue some stainless steel mesh over so the little buggers don't take em down on me.

As part of our garden enclosure, we trenched and put chicken wire down 18 inches; that works. (A bit of work, but given what we were doing to keep the deer out, it wasn't that much extra.)

Yeah, good idea but too much work. It's just me and 3 plants ought to do it. I do miss tomatoes from the backyard, they really are the best. I used to do bell peppers, but I really don't get much difference compared to the store. One time I went to tend the garden and found (to my horror) that all my peppers had been drug underground by those thieving rodents.

Our retirement story is here:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/sharing-23-years-of-frugal-retirement-62251.html

That 23 years is now 27...
No debt. Own home in IL, mfg. home in a FL retirement community, and a camp on a lake a half hour from here.
Spending less than $40K, and without the extra homes, much less. Don't feel that DW and I have missed a thing, and looking back to our net worth on the day we retired, just about the same as where we were back in 1989.

Happiest guy... still have lots to do. :)

Our retirement story is here:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/sharing-23-years-of-frugal-retirement-62251.html

That 23 years is now 27...
No debt. Own home in IL, mfg. home in a FL retirement community, and a camp on a lake a half hour from here.
Spending less than $40K, and without the extra homes, much less. Don't feel that DW and I have missed a thing, and looking back to our net worth on the day we retired, just about the same as where we were back in 1989.

Happiest guy... still have lots to do. :)

Thanks Imoldernu!

I went back to your original post. It is very interesting reading.

How do you fail at growing tomatoes? It's a weed here. Some years I had sprouted 100 plants. I gave so many away.

Back
Top Bottom