Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-05-2015, 01:40 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
...someone who cashes in options that they earned over many years is simply not as 'rich' as the person who makes that same amount year in and year out - yet they are taxed the same...
I'm quite sure there are legitimate cases where the progressive tax code is a penalty of sorts on windfalls. The OP might be such a case. But, as it pertains to stock options specifically, it's been my observation that the more frequent cases of tax shock are simply the result of inadequate planning.

I guess I was fortunate. Even after ER, no one ever forced me to exercise options to the detriment of my tax situation. I did have years that spiked into very high brackets due to option exercises. But that was my decision after weighing the price risk, timing, and other considerations.

My overall objective was to limit concentration in Megacorp stock and get the money into the balanced portfolio as quickly as possible without creating a tax disaster or sacrificing potential future growth. Usually, I exercised the oldest, in-the-money options every year, in approximately the same amount of shares as I was granted each year. So the income stream was spread out to minimize taxes and closely tied to what I "earned" on an annual basis.

Had I clung to them for years hoping for big gains, then exercised all at once and paid tax through the nose... well, I don't consider that a shortcoming in the tax code. It's just a less tax-efficient exit strategy.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2015, 02:14 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
I'm quite sure there are legitimate cases where the progressive tax code is a penalty of sorts on windfalls. The OP might be such a case. But, as it pertains to stock options specifically, it's been my observation that the more frequent cases of tax shock are simply the result of inadequate planning. ...

Had I clung to them for years hoping for big gains, then exercised all at once and paid tax through the nose... well, I don't consider that a shortcoming in the tax code. It's just a less tax-efficient exit strategy.
Yes, but I was really commenting in the more general case. Someone might have variable income for any number of reasons, and the progressive tax can 'penalize' them, w/o income averaging offsets (which are not available for most anymore).

Someone might have a business that pulls in very little, and then they have a great year once in a while. If they are prudent, the keep their spending down to reflect the average, but they get taxed on the peaks.

FWIW, for the small options that I got from MegaCorp, as soon as I was able to exercise them, and they were ITM, I sold. I figure the options themselves were a sure thing (if ITM), but the future price of the stock was a gamble. In this case, I went with the sure thing. It worked out on average, and was still the prudent thing to do, even if the stock had gone up.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:29 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Also, we're tossing around the term "option" and the tax issues for ISOs and nonQuals (incentive stock options and non-qualified options) are quite different.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote