Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-31-2011, 11:38 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I have DirectTV and do like it. The main channel I like is CNBC and don't know if I could go w/o it. It keeps me informed of my investments.

BUT, Fox is threatning to increase their costs by 40% and DTV is trying to negotiate. They should just offer a pkg with or w/o FOX. I'm sure FOX will lose in the long run. I do like them, but not enough to pay 40% more.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2011, 05:09 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have Comcast also but only pay $35 / month for basic service cable + internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
... ridiculous amount (nearly $150).

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:04 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Broadcast TV has the best HD imaginable!!!
To bad we can't say that about the content...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:28 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

So what kind of internet speed does one need to stream programs?
Old 11-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #25
Confused about dryer sheets

I haven't had Dish for about a year now--no TV at all, because I am 70 miles from any TV station.

Don't miss it--I listen to NPR for the news, and spend my evenings reading or doing the things that need to be done in the garden/house/kitchen. I do rent some DVDs once in a while for those rainy days.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #26

After 5 years with basic cable (~12 channels) and watching price creeps on Vonage and Netflix ... we did the Comcast triple play for 99/mo. Didn't save much but the kids like the channel selection. When the intro period ends (1 yr) I'll probably jump to Dish. And let the land line go.

Been wo service for 2 days .... Missed the Pats game this weekend due an Oct snow storm ... satalite would have carried it.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:50 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by smjsl View Post
Do you guys have some good links by any chance on how to do this or other similar setups? I am interested in
- minimal requirements for a computer I would need for this
- minimal requirements for a TV for this to work
- how to hooks things up

Thanks!
I use Sagetv.
Google bought them and killed it. Still works for me but you can't buy it now.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post
So what kind of internet speed does one need to stream programs?
Netflix suggests 3mbps for standard def, 6mbps for high def. That matches my experience.

I have streamed Netflix in hotels with a 1.5mbps connection. It helps to start the video, pause it for 5-10 minutes so the browser can cache, then watch.

I wouldn't go below 3mbps for regular viewing.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #29

We've never had cable. Every fall I think about it, look at the prices, especially the "after introductory rate runs out" part, and move on.

I get excellent reception with OTA and an antenna. The cable shows are available thru Netflix a year or so after they air. I get news on the internet.

I'd be happy to go to a pure pay-per-view world, just let me decide when to watch with internet streaming. I expect most shows would be pennies an episode. But that's somewhere in the future.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I cut the cord too. I use Netflix for blu-ray rentals and streaming, and ESPN 3 to watch most sporting events I want to see.

I personally don't get all the Netflix hoop-la. I was always fascinated how much they offered for so little price, and just assumed they were taking a loss to build the company. With the recent price hikes, it actually sounds more reasonable to me now. I'm hoping less customers and equivalent blu-ray stock means I get what I want more frequently instead of more "short or long waits".
Old 11-02-2011, 09:03 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Talk about LBYM! You guys are amazing.

We have 2 homes, one is very part time and was primarily a better place to invest some money when we built it 3 years ago. No mortgage. Our main home has Comcast. The other house has rabbit ears. Except for the food network and network shows, there is nothing on Comcast my wife cares about. Except for the sports and history channels, there is nothing on Comcast I care about. We do just fine with the rabbit ears when we're at the other house, but we only get PBS, ABC and CBS.

Giving up cable is an interesting thought.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #32

If things got tight our DirecTV would be the first thing to get cut.

BTW, a year ago we upgraded to HD and DirecTV gave us a $10/month discount for a year. The year just expired so I called to see if I could get it extended. They said, no that promo is gone but if you switch to AutoPay we can offer you HD free for life. I said that I already have AutoPay, can I still get HD free for life? They checked it out and got it approved and I already saw it applied to the account.

HD is $10/month so there's my $10 discount. No sports or movie packages, just 3 TVs and it's $88/month including taxes. Except for an occasional eating out it's our only non-necessity.

If I had to I'd cut the cord, but we really enjoy the DirecTV.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:11 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I dropped all cable about a year ago as I simply wasn't watching it.
Total monthly expenses decreased of course, but also noticed electric use decreased about 1 KWH per day.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:23 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Goodies from the 2016 CES to help cord cutters.

Quote:
If CES 2016 is any indication, the future is only looking brighter for cord cutters. While 2015 brought loads of new streaming options for those looking to ditch cable, sorting through all the options and finding content became quite the difficult task. Look for that to change in 2016.
Top 5 products for cord cutters at CES - Dwight Silverman's TechBlog
Old 01-11-2016, 12:09 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Goodies from the 2016 CES to help cord cutters.

Top 5 products for cord cutters at CES - Dwight Silverman's TechBlog
Good info. In the link he discusses Sling TV of which I'm a big fan. For $20, it's a great deal imo. From his blog.......

While Sling TV didn’t announce some of the major updates many of us were hoping for (DVR function, multiple streams, etc.) they did unveil a completely overhauled interface. The new user interface is designed to get away from the feel of traditional cable and create a more personalized experience for viewers.

Interestingly enough, in one talk I sat in on with Sling TV CEO Roger Lynch, he discussed how much on-demand content users are watching on Sling TV, as opposed to live TV. This is evident in the new interface, which seeks to blend the live TV and video-on-demand (VOD) experience. The change makes VOD content much easier to discover, which fixes a common gripe I’d hear about the Sling TV product (on-demand content used to be buried and extremely difficult to navigate, many people didn’t even know there’s select on-demand content for channels like AMC).

The new interface includes a screen called “MY TV.” The object is to bring your favorite content to you in one screen, so you don’t have to dig. The screen pulls together favorites, recommended, and trending content. And perhaps most notably, it offers a “continue watching” feature that lets you get right back where you were in whatever programs you were watching.

Sling TV also announced ESPN3 will join ESPN and ESPN2 to their Best of Live TV package. No more need to log-in to the WatchESPN app to gain access to all the ESPN3 content. It will now be integrated right into the guide. That means way more access to live and on-demand sports for viewers (this is especially handy for viewing sporting events broadcast on ABC, as ESPN3 simulcasts them)
Old 01-11-2016, 12:34 PM   #36

I cut the cable TV cord 2 years ago. My TV is hooked up to a digital antenna and I get 25 channels free. I find that I don't miss all the reality TV and rubbish on cable. I do miss the premium cable channels, but they are just too expensive.

I obviously still have broadband internet ($45/month) and also watch stuff on the PC. I haven't got AppleTV or Roku yet as I'm satisfied with the free stuff I can watch. I've also increased the amount I read.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:04 PM   #37

I have the comcast triple play. phone, internet and cable plus home security. 270.00 a month. my contract is up 1/28 and I can't wait!! I'm getting rid of it on the 29th. can't cancel home security, that's a three year contract
Old 01-11-2016, 04:06 PM   #38

Sports is my addicttion. Wish there was a way to cut cable and still keep espn and the golf channel.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:48 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I've considered dropping satellite but DW is a HGTV junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Sports is my addicttion. Wish there was a way to cut cable and still keep espn and the golf channel.
Sling TV gives you HGTV, ESPN, ESPN2 and others (soon ESPN3, but no Golf) for $20/mo, streamed to one device.
https://www.sling.com
There are a few add-on packages for $5. They offer a $50 discount on streaming devices if you prepay for 3 months of service. https://www.sling.com/devices/offers

Not a bad deal, although the interface was a little awkward when I tried it in its early days. Personally, I ended up going with an attic antenna and TiVo. Love the TiVo, especially so I don't need to be tech support for the family!
Old 01-12-2016, 07:00 PM   #40
gone traveling

I cut the cable cord (sort of)

I have a streaming type set top box that receives 600 global tv channels. It cost approx 200 dollars (one time fee) for the box and an hdmi or rca cable. It comes with a remote too and can receive streams in high def- up to 4K if the source is broadcast in high def.

You need to update the tv apps about once every 4 or 5 days. Works just like an android based smart phone and an App Store. Programming is very wide ranging from lots of countries.

I have I think the slowest internet by Comcast that I can get: 3 down. 1 up. On a promo for first year and pay $15 per month for Internet only no double or triple pay...I mean play... .

TV method is not perfect all the time - is very Internet speed dependent - but I give it an 8 out of 10- it would probably be better if I upgraded to a 25 down 3 up interwebs package on Comcast but I'm too cheap.

If the set top box isn't streaming so well, I can watch CNBC real time for free using a tablet app.

Ping me off list on the set top boxes. I have gotten them for friends too. Willing to order a few more next time if there is interest. No profit for me. Just as a favor to those here who like to try new technology and save a few bucks