Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-01-2016, 08:09 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Plex has added the ability to record FREE Over The Air TV. Another option for those who want to cut the cable cord.

Quote:
Popular media server Plex is today announcing a new a DVR feature that enables recording of free over-the-air content using a digital antenna and digital tuner.

You can bring your own digital antenna but will have to use a $60 HDHomeRun digital tuner from the company Plex is teaming up with to support the feature (it also supports non-DRM CableCARD channels on the HDHomeRun PRIME network attached digital tuner).
There is a fee - monthly or a lifetime subscription. I'm not sure whose life it is, but it's probably the digital tuner's.

Quote:
And you’ll need to be a Plex Pass subscriber, which also enables access to mobile and cloud sync and other features for $4.99 per month or $149.99 for a lifetime subscription

https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/01/plex-...v/#more-443861

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2016, 08:42 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS53 View Post
I would like to cut cable, but as a baseball and hockey fan of my local pro teams, I wouldn't be able to see the games without cable. The games are streamed, but blacked out locally so to force one to watch the regional sports channel on cable.

I.
+1

I'd love to cut cable, but I need my hockey games!

Old 09-01-2016, 09:13 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaudrey View Post
+1

I'd love to cut cable, but I need my hockey games!

Its around the corner...And my NHL package will be dinging my wallet soon.
But if you really want to cut cord and watch NHL including regional games there is always a way....
http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/10/12/he...e-blacked-out/

The best way to do it is to use an effective VPN. For mobile users, SurfEasy is a great option, allowing both U.S. and U.K. tunnels to mask your IP and open up access to every game. There are certain games televised by both a Canadian and U.S. network (the outdoor games come to mind), thus blacking it out no matter which feed you choose, and even if you are under a U.S. IP. Choose the U.K. one and suddenly the game pops to life. Having that kind of flexibility means you will be able to watch every game live, anytime you want. The only thing blacked out would be commercials and intermissions.

Bear in mind that this does require a further commitment. SurfEasy limits you to 500MB of bandwidth per month on a free account. Thatís fine for testing a game or two, but isnít a viable option for regular usage. Their Total VPN plan for $4.99 per month is a great deal in that it gives you unlimited data and supports up to five devices (only iOS and Android for mobile so far).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2016, 09:21 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got rid of my cable TV connection two years ago. At first I missed a few shows, but after a few weeks that passed. I bought a digital antenna and can pick up about 25 channels, NBC, CBS etc 5 PBS channels and lots of specialized channels like MeTV. I still get internet for $42/month and watch some stuff on the PC, but I find I'm reading a lot more now.

Current AA: 60% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 10% Stable Value /5% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:15 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Plex has added the ability to record FREE Over The Air TV. Another option for those who want to cut the cable cord.

There is a fee - monthly or a lifetime subscription. I'm not sure whose life it is, but it's probably the digital tuner's.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/01/plex-...v/#more-443861

Kinda an old idea.... I have an old DVR that has the old fashion tuner and a digital tuner inside... so not need for a separate tuner...

The big problem with this is no TV guide...
Old 09-01-2016, 11:35 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
The big problem with this is no TV guide...
TV Guided listings online. TV Listings - Find Local TV Shows and Movie Schedules - Listings Grid | TVGuide.com
Old 09-01-2016, 11:46 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I'm still loving Playstation Vue. For $35/mo I have all the sports channels I could ever want. All the ESPN channels, Fox Sports, Golf Channel, SEC and Big 10 NW and they just added the NFL NW. Plus all the other channels I like. Over 70+ overall. Only one I don't get is the History channel, but can't say I lose any sleep over it. Pretty amazing deal imo.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:08 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

There is a fee - monthly or a lifetime subscription. I'm not sure whose life it is, but it's probably the digital tuner's...
I recently picked up two Fire TV boxes on Prime Day for $69.99 each. I installed Plex and Kodi on both, among lots of other apps. I find that we don't use Plex very much. I linked it up to a 3TB external drive that houses all our owned media (movies, music, photos, home video, recorded TV). It's quick to set up and looks good, but just doesn't do much. I'm not a Plex Pass subscriber.

Kodi on Fire TV is our home base. We use it every day, mainly because we get live OTA TV along with DVR functionality and online guide. We also have an old laptop running Kodi with an HDHomeRun tuner. The laptop acts as a server, which feeds live TV and DVR functionality to the two Fire TV boxes. Kodi also accesses all our owned media on the external drive, same as Plex.

Plex is a commercial spin-off of Kodi, which is open source. So you have to pay to get the more advanced features on Plex, which are free with Kodi. Kodi is a bit more effort to set up initially and if you need support, you search on Google.

I really like the Fire TV box. Voice search with Alexa on the remote is very useful. The Netflix app is far superior to the one we were running on our Vizio smart TVs. And we finally have easy access to Amazon Prime video, music, etc. Lots of other apps and content as well.

AA: 45% stock, 35% bonds, 15% real estate, 5% cash
Cobra9777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:29 PM   #49

I cut the cord several years ago. Paid $20/mo. for Netflix/Hulu + Gaiam. Saved a bundle in Comcast cable charges.

About 10 months ago, I eliminated TV entirely. Don't miss it a bit. Big waste of time.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:48 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

Thanks, but I was talking about on the DVR... with my dish I just put in the shows I want to watch and they take care of if they change or are not new...

This old DVR was like a VCR.. you have to put in the time you wanted it to record and it would no matter what was showing... if a show moved, too bad for you... if it was a repeat, so sorry...
Old 09-01-2016, 04:02 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I figured that I would share our quasi cord-cutting experiment. We live in a rural area with no OTA because of a mountain between us and the local transmitters.

When we were in Florida last winter we had our Dish TV service on vacation... $5/month to keep it on hold. When we returned from Florida I put in the absolute cheapest package I could get and still get my local stations (CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox) ... their Welcome Pack which is $20/month get us our local and some limited cable channels, including HGTV which is a much for DW. So our total cable bill is about $63/month...$20 for programming, $39 for equipment (4 TVs and a centralized DVR that any TV can access) plus $4 in taxes.

So we pay $63/month summer and $5/month in the winter.

It has worked out ok but I miss TNT and USA but we access that via DD's Infinity connection via the internet but have to tolerate the commercials.

Recently I told DW that I was thinking of upgrading our Dish programming so we didn't have to do the commercials and she said that there was no need to... so we'll see.

BTW, to get the Welcome Pack you have to call Dish... you cannot get that cheapo programming package via the internet portal.

Quote:
Are you a current Dish Network customer and tired of paying $50 or more for a bunch of channels you don’t watch? I recently discover a “secret” programming package that gets my family all local channels in HD plus popular channels like TBS, History, TLC, MSNBC, Hallmark, Hub, HGTV, Food Network, Oxygen, CMT, and Boomerang for a whopping 65 cents a day . We get 60 channels in all, plus one HD-DVR receiver, for a grand total of $26.99 a month. (If you don’t want the DVR service you only pay $19.99/mo.)

The package is called the ‘Welcome Pack’ and most people don’t know that it’s available to ALL Dish Network customers, new and old. Why it’s called the ‘Welcome Pack’ is a mystery to me. If you log into your online account you’ll notice that this package is NOT an available option. Currently, the only way you can get the welcome pack is to call them at 1-800-333-DISH and ask for it. Took me 5 minutes to call and get our programming changed.

Below is a screenshot of what your account will look like once you have the ‘Welcome Pack’. Your account will actually say ‘Package No Longer Available’ – WRONG! The secret is you just gotta call and ask for it!
Old 09-01-2016, 04:24 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I cut the cable years ago when I FIRE'd. But just got a card in the mail from Sling TV offering 7 free days. Looks like I'll spring for that come baseball playoffs time then cancel after playoffs and go back to just OTA with Amazon Prime.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:02 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
I would love to eliminate our cable - but more for philosophical reasons than economic -- I don't like monopolies. I don't watch the thing except one hour for PBS evening news. Our cable runs $140 a month and that includes internet, phone (unlimited long distance) and TV. My wife curses the cable company but she watches many of the cable channels and if I made her use different devices to get to things like HGTV, TLC, FOOD, etc I'd be the recipient of those curses.

With the time I'd invest rigging up an alternative, I can save a lot more on our tax bill.
Are you willing to wait until AM next day to watch news? PBS is available at no cost online at PBS.com, and also as a free channel on Roku, if so. We watch all of our PBS shows that way, simply waiting a few hours for them to be made available next day, shortly after midnight I believe, for streaming.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:12 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

We've been both cable and landline free for about five years, which puts us some $6,000 ahead if I'm doing the math correctly - approx $100 per month x 12 months x 5 years. More than the savings though, is the sense of freedom from our cable provider, and from TV in general. We get by quite nicely with a Roku, and piggyback off of a family member for Hulu and Netflix, meaning $0 cost to us. We only watch about an hour of TV a night on average, so sharing with our generous family member has not created a device conflict to date.

We recently did the 7 day Sling free trial and I was happy to cancel it out on day seven. The reasons were two fold - the Sling channel buffered a lot. Like a lot. It was beyond annoying. And secondly, I found myself watching way more TV than I had previously, which I didn't view as a good thing.

At this point I can't imagine any circumstance that would draw us back toward paying a cable company for the privilege of TV viewing when there are so many less expensive alternatives available.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:45 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
Are you willing to wait until AM next day to watch news? PBS is available at no cost online at PBS.com, and also as a free channel on Roku, if so. We watch all of our PBS shows that way, simply waiting a few hours for them to be made available next day, shortly after midnight I believe, for streaming.
Personally, I'm willing to wait a week or so to find out the news. I assume if the world ends I'll find out soon enough. The rest is just noise. That's why I still have cable. No where else has such a large collection of time wasting, non-socially redeeming programming available. It's worth the price.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:25 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Update on my own cord cutting, since cutting in late 2014. Upfront costs for Tablo DVR, hard disk, lifetime Tablo subscription, 2 antennae, additional Rokus and various parts - $720 or so. I already had internet, Netflix and Amazon Prime so those are not additional costs. Monthly savings are $122. Net savings (after initial costs) over 20 months - $1,720. Add $122 each month.

I subscribed to Sling TV for 3 months last year for college basketball. Subscribed to Sling TV this year for Olympics - paid for 3 months upfront but it came with that Roku I have been wanting. Paid $75 - got a $50 Roku. So subtract $75 or so from annual savings.

I still have internet and land line with the cable company. Land line went out, recently. Dealing with them was so painful. Think of all the pain I have missed by not having cable tv.

Btw, depending on the weather, I can pick up about 65 channels. Many are duplicates, but so is cable.

Did someone say happy dance?
Old 09-05-2016, 09:50 AM   #57
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post
Did someone say happy dance?
I share your joy!

I "cut the cable" on my television on May 15th, 2014. I already had Amazon Prime for shipping, but never use it for TV, and although I have F's Netflix on my TV I have never watched even one show by myself using that either. Just not my thing. I don't watch much TV, TBH.

F made me a fantastic homemade antenna out of just a 2x4 and some wire. Pretty cool. I reimbursed him $4 for those materials according to what he said they cost; he used some stuff from his junk box at the house that he didn't want me to pay for. Using that antenna I can get all the TV I really want on dozens of channels via OTA.

Other than that I didn't buy any equipment at all, so initial outlay was $4.00. I still get cable internet.

I am SURE cable TV has gone up since then, but even using the May, 2014 price I have already saved $3,085.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:52 AM   #58
Confused about dryer sheets

Just saw that Sling TV has added NFL Network, Red Zone, and Comcast Sports Net for our area. That's a game changer for me. I'll be dropping cable and subscribing to their Blue package for $25 per month. I'll miss the ability to pause live TV, but for that kind of savings I'll live with it.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:49 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's what I did to reduce monthly cable, phone, internet expenses:

1- bought my own Motorola cable modem for $50 and saved the $8 per month rental fee charged by Time Warner Cable
2- Dropped Direct TV after they were raising my monthly to $107 per month. I bought 2 Roku players for $59 each and run Playstation Vue for $39.99 per month (about 75 channels that I actually can watch).
3- Replaced my VOIP provider from Lingo at $37 per month to Ooma premiere with international calling for $18.00 per month (including taxes). The Ooma hardware cost me $99. I have two phone lines and full features plus call blocking that eliminates 90% of scammers and telemarketers and robocallers.
4- Kept Netflix for $9.99 per month

My monthly bill now is:

$59.99 for high speed internet (100 M/B sec)
$18.00 for phone with international calling (2 lines)
$39.99 for TV (for up to 5 TVs)
$9.99 for Netflix

I'm saving about $67 per month over bundle deals offered by cable companies.

If we didn't have mountains blocking the TV broadcast towers, I would have set up antenna for free OTA HDTV reception.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:19 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

I cut the cord several years ago. After several attempts (different antennas and DVRs), the set up I'm happy with is:

1) DVR - Maganox HDD/DVR recorder
2) antenna - HD Frequency Cable Cutter Indoor/Outdoor
3) streaming - Amazon Fire TV
4) baseball playoffs if Cubbies are in - Sling TV (keep only for playoff time then cancel)

For the most part, I'm happy. I get the all local channels and overall the reception is steady. The picture on the DVR, though not high def is adequate for my eyes and I can pause live TV and burn to DVD if I want.

My favorite antenna was a home built coat hanger, but I get CBS better with the purchased antenna. The antenna is mounted indoors (beauty in the eye of the beholder ) by my balcony window.