Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-24-2014, 07:12 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I don't think it is time to buy yet. When I was working in a team of 4 people including myself and all of us had a Wall St. background, the universal buy signal we all paid attention to during 2010 and 2011 was to buy with both hands when my Dad would call and practically demand that we sell everything in his account. Just about every time I got one of those calls a purchase would have made money almost immediately.

Dad called today, but he was very easily mollified. I may have ruined my buy signal apparatus (Dad) by educating him, but I doubt it.
I generally buy when my hands are shaking so badly, I can hardly type the buy order into the website.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2014, 08:58 PM   #22
gone traveling

Funny how the S&P is sitting right where it was about a month ago (12/17).

Old 01-24-2014, 09:03 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Hopefully this is the correction everybody has been predicting.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:04 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was just thinking a week ago wouldn't it be nice if the market dipped for today. I have my bonus being paid out and I'm using it to max out my 401k contribution for the year (plus 50% for company match which occurs immediately).

On the other hand when I look at my net worth graph, I can't even see today as a blip.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:32 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Well, somebody did it (the Wh*** thing), and is now denying!

The January effect had been advanced to December. I feared the correction was coming, but man, it's not easy to see nearly $60K down YTD. But I should be used to this by now. The most I have "lost" in a single day was $80K, and I did not have as much as I do now.

The question is when to go into "buy, buy, buy" mode. Market timing is never that easy.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:40 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

We bought total stock market for our 12-year-old son yesterday, with his own savings in a custodial account. So it's our fault.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:06 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Hmm... several of these posts sound like market timing...
Old 01-24-2014, 11:14 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I have always said I am a market timer. I don't bother to hide under the rebalance label. I aim to buy low/sell high, and am proud of it. Though my record is far from perfect, I have made some money.

PS. The late Templeton once said that his goal was to "help people". When they panicked and sold, he bought. In the dot-com mania of 2000, when they clamored to buy, he was so willing to help them that he sold to them what he did not even have - he sold short. He made $80M for himself in a matter of a few months while doing this "charity" work, meaning providing liquidity.

The question I have for myself now is if sellers are desperate yet for me to "help". I have only a fraction of what Templeton had, but I can do my best with the few hundred K's in cash I am holding.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:21 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I have always said I am a market timer. I don't bother to hide under the rebalance label. I aim to buy low/sell high, and am proud of it. Though my record is far from perfect, I have made some money.

I'm with ya NW.
I've done quite well with market timing, mostly long durations like months or years between transactions. I also am not a big fan of diversification strategy. I guess I just like being different from the masses.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:06 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Stocks plunge in U.S., Dow sinks 318 points | The Exchange - Yahoo Finance

The Dow is down 318 points today! I promise I never uttered a word.

I'm hanging on for the rollercoaster ride.
I knew it wasn't you, W2R. Your wheeeee was already weeks old and thus expired.

"As January goes, so goes the year" - hmmmmmm.....
Old 01-25-2014, 04:12 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

The higher volatility and lower prices finally got me interest in writing some slightly out of them money puts. Most of my order were executed today.

Still even after the pull back of this week, I'd feel a lot more comfortable if the market was 10% lower.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:06 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Stocks plunge in U.S., Dow sinks 318 points | The Exchange - Yahoo Finance

The Dow is down 318 points today! I promise I never uttered a word.

I'm hanging on for the rollercoaster ride.
The first thing I thought of when I saw the correction was you and your mutterings!
Old 01-25-2014, 06:58 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Saw an article the other day about record levels of leverage, imagine these guys will be getting margin calls next week, maybe more pressure on the down side? Not really fundamentals driven.

I have been a buyer on both down days this week. I'll continue to buy if the selling keeps up. Looks like a sale to me. In my world, the economy is doing fine.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:23 AM   #34

With hardly any correction yet I'm not at all close to rebalancing. Unless things fall apart it looks like there's a lot of cash out there. We may not see the 10% correction as people jump back in. Of course they may not for the same reasons they didn't earlier. Then we may go all the way to a bear market. What do I know? Nothing. That's why I'm a plodder who sticks to a moderately conservative plan.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:33 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Portfolio is down .45 percent, pretty mild. Of course it will bounce only mildly back up when Mr. Market rallies.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:48 AM   #36

I don't have a lot of money but will spread out my buys starting Monday. I made out very well in the market last year and want to add to some of my positions.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:39 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboslacker View Post
I'm with ya NW.
I've done quite well with market timing, mostly long durations like months or years between transactions. I also am not a big fan of diversification strategy. I guess I just like being different from the masses.
I actually believe in diversification. Not being 100% in stocks is how I have some money to buy low when the chance shows itself. In the long run, I am not sure if someone who's 100% in stocks would not do better. I never believe that there's only one way to make money; a lot depends on the execution.

And yes, I try not to trade too much. My regret during the Great Recession was that I bought quite a bit right at the bottom in April 2009, but sold too soon instead of riding the stocks a lot higher. Search for "buy, buy, buy" to see my past posts. Heh heh heh...

I do not think it's time to buy yet. Perhaps I will miss out, but I like to see 10% drop and a lot more anguish, my own included. Am I a masochist or what? Heh heh heh...
Old 01-25-2014, 09:10 AM   #38
gone traveling

My/wife's cash buckets (used for day to day expenses) remained the same ...

Being retired and no longer actively purchasing funds, the daily flux means little to us (unless it's time to "harvest" more gains to add to cash).

For those in the accumulation phase? It's a good opportunity, for the moment...
Old 01-25-2014, 10:16 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
"As January goes, so goes the year" - hmmmmmm.....
For the last 14 years from 2000 to 2013, there were 6 years where the market was down for January yet up for the year and vice versa. So, it's not quite 50/50, but close.

These 6 years were: 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, and 2010. Most notable was 2003 where the S&P was down -2.74% for January but up 26.38% for the year. Next was 2009 when January was down -8.57% but up 23.45% for the year.

Well, the above 2 years were when the market was pulling out of a crash. The condition is not the same this time, coming off a gangbuster year of 2013.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:13 PM   #40

I need to rebalance but was doing it by directing new 401k contributions into Equities. I sped things up a little by adding additional equity purchases. If Monday is another down day I will buy again.

Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote