Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I believe that Paul B is corrrect in his analysis, and that his heuristics and valuation sense are sound, but that the last 15 years have pretty much proved that it is very hard to turn even accurate insights like his into improved market success.

Passive investors who are heavily invested at these levels will get whacked, I don't know when, but real valuations will return to levels significantly below today's.

Active value investors may of may not do any better, unless they are just staying pretty much away from the fray.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I believe that Paul B is corrrect in his analysis, and that his heuristics and valuation sense are sound, but that the last 15 years have pretty much proved that it is very hard to turn even accurate insights like his into improved market success.

Passive investors who are heavily invested at these levels will get whacked, I don't know when, but real valuations will return to levels significantly below today's.

Active value investors may of may not do any better, unless they are just staying pretty much away from the fray.

Ha
I actually place more stock in your opinion that Farrell's who has struck me as perma-bear. Although I haven't followed him closely.

What do you find about his analysis that is compelling?

I am finding myself increasingly nervous about valuations and the situation in the middle east and the middle west isn't helping. On the other hand, with other asset class looking worse I am sticking to stocks, but looking for an excuse to sell.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #103
Full time employment: Posting here.

Keep up the good work W2R.
Proverbs 15:22 Designs are brought to nothing where there is no counsel: but where there are many counsellors, they are established.
rec7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:20 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I am finding myself increasingly nervous about valuations and the situation in the middle east and the middle west isn't helping. On the other hand, with other asset class looking worse I am sticking to stocks, but looking for an excuse to sell.
I don't generally dart in and out of stocks, but yeah, I think a significant portion of the post-crash rally off the early 2009 lows was due to undervaluation at the trough, but also because every other option also stunk.

I think the main "stimulus" wasn't government intervention, but cheap oil prices. That train has left the station, leaving another cause for concern.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:11 PM   #105
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ow, that hurt today.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:19 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

I'm glad I updated my financial spreadsheet at the close of 2/28/11's day of bidnezz......
Old 03-01-2011, 04:36 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Ow, that hurt today.
A relatively minor blip in the whole scheme of things. Watching Libya and oil closely. Otherwise, not seeing any disturbing trends from my vantage point.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Meh, people overreacting to what will probably prove to be a short lived oil spike. We are overdue for a correction, if you pray at that particular altar. Meanwhile the economic data released so far this week was extremely strong (esp the manufacturing indicators).

Other than an apreciated options position I hastily liquidated, I see no ovious signs that would make me change anything in my portfolio.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:34 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

For a guy who has 70+% in equities, I sure hope this is just a short-term correction.

Meanwhile, it is gratifying to see that my equity portion is down a "mere" -1.1% today, which is not shabby considering that the Dow is down -1.4%, Nasdaq -1.6%, and S&P also -1.6%.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #110
Moderator Emeritus

My portfolio was actually up today. I must have too much money in bonds and commodities.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #111
Administrator

Down 1.2 % today. I had some sell orders in before the market opened and they were executed at a satisfactory price at the open. Saved a few bucks.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:58 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Down 2/10 of a percent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dog yawning.jpg (205.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 03-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Bulls running out of the gate today.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Bulls running out of the gate today.
A few years ago, I "sort-of-dated" (neither of us was sure what it was) a woman who ended up revealing to me that she had been diagnosed bipolar. That explained a lot.

Anyway, I thought this was somewhat relevant to the topic of checking the market on a daily basis during times like this
Old 03-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #115

Yeah I thought FIRE'd folks were invested in indexed funds who didn't track the gyrations of the market.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:02 PM   #116

irrational exuberance

The market today is undergoing some irrational exuberance.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Yeah I thought FIRE'd folks were invested in indexed funds who didn't track the gyrations of the market.
I'm an indexer. Usually I don't track the gyrations of the market. But on days of big drops, I say to myself, "glad I'm an indexer" then I hold on tighter. On days of big gains, I say to myself, "glad I'm an indexer, remember to not get greedy."
Old 03-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Don't look now, but...

Market Report - Mar. 3, 2011 - CNNMoney.com

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #119
Administrator

Love this roller coaster!

So do market timers who want to make a little money..

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:34 PM   #120

The sorcerer's Greenspan's appprentice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
The market today is undergoing some irrational exuberance.