I didn't say it... but great market lately!

Yes, I know there will be arguments to the contrary, but I am fortunate to have a stable value fund available through a 457 plan that is returning much better than money markets.
Yep. I was in Stable Value from 8/2008 until this month. Rolling it all over has been great financially but I loved the consistent growth that out-paced CDs & Money Markets. Should have left 50%.

I am still happy sort of on the sidelines. I am heavily invested but I also have a large cash cushion. Whenever I make a transfer without selling, I am happy. And that cushion can keep us going for 3 more years.

I am still happy sort of on the sidelines. I am heavily invested but I also have a large cash cushion. Whenever I make a transfer without selling, I am happy. And that cushion can keep us going for 3 more years.

I just hope that this continues for a while. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who is feeling happy about the market these days. :)

I'm a happy camper watching the positive slopes but a little sorry that I rolled over my 401K to an IRA thereby losing my Stable Funds investment option.
Most brokerage houses should have a stable value fund that invests in short-term financial instruments.

However, "Stable Value" funds are not all alike, as my brother found out in the last recession. He lost more than 20% in his "Stable Value" fund at Schwab, before he realized it and sold. The fund invested in some high-yield harebrained subprime deals, if I remember correctly.

He was busy with his work and did not look at his accounts everyday like I do. Even when I was RV'ing into the boondocks, I made a point of checking all my accounts online at least every 3 or 4 days.

We will see what happens in a few months when QE II ends.

Employment numbers seem to be improving a little.

We are at 50/50. most of the fixed is in stable value, STB Idx, some TIPS, and a lot of cash.

The longer term bonds are in balanced mutual funds.

Isn't it great? :D:D I love the way my cash balance has replenished itself after buying more of a bond fund a while back.

Even my dividends for the first three months have been more than they were for last year's first three months (maybe partly due to having more in bond funds).

Aha! It wasn't just MY dividends, either! This is good news.

Here is an article, "Dividends Come Roaring Back in 2011" that talks about this.

LOL, I just updated my port earlier today and its continues to be at an all time high (keeps making new highs each week), and I keep thinking each Monday will probably be the start of a correction. Then I saw this thread and guess I am not alone in feeling that the next shoe is about to drop. Nevertheless, I am a bit more optomistic about the economy/recovery, but still holding about 30% in cash.

Most brokerage houses should have a stable value fund that invests in short-term financial instruments.

However, "Stable Value" funds are not all alike, as my brother found out in the last recession. He lost more than 20% in his "Stable Value" fund at Schwab, before he realized it and sold. The fund invested in some high-yield harebrained subprime deals, if I remember correctly.

He was busy with his work and did not look at his accounts everyday like I do. Even when I was RV'ing into the boondocks, I made a point of checking all my accounts online at least every 3 or 4 days.

That is true about Schwab. I think charges were brought against them (maybe by the SEC?).

And Invesco (the company where my stable value is held) lost some value - on the order of a percent or two - during the pits of the financial crisis, but that was restricted only to employees of Lehman Bros. I gather than was due to problems with the wrap contracts and the insurers of them.

Aha! It wasn't just MY dividends, either! This is good news.

Here is an article, "Dividends Come Roaring Back in 2011" that talks about this.

I believe this was due primarily in an IRS tax policy change on dividends.

Dividends used to be huge, but eventually got to be heavily taxed compared to capital gains so over time companies paid less and less.

At one time I read that this popularity was to be short lived but no longer remember the specifics.

I must be having a wonderful dream about the market again this evening! Don't wake me up any time soon... :D

Ditto. With 3 months until ER, I don't want anything ugly to upset the psyche.

Last week it looked like there could be a correction.

But earnings are buoying the market so far.

I must be having a wonderful dream about the market again this evening! Don't wake me up any time soon... :D
I know, it's great isn't it. I just got back after a 2 day out of town trip with visiting family and on returning, found that I have more money than before I went away :)

I know, it's great isn't it. I just got back after a 2 day out of town trip with visiting family and on returning, found that I have more money than before I went away :)
These things too will pass. :(

Ha

Isn't that a great feeling? :) And in a longer term, my nestegg has increased by 4 years' expenses during the past year, plus what I spent too since I was retired the whole year. Unbelievable! Not due to trading but just due to the market. I want to remember this feeling so it will see me through the next time the market drops. :D

Just allow me this one moment to cherish :D

Me too! :LOL:

Last edited:
Well I just read Sy Harding's weekly commentary and if all these points are accurate then it is pretty surprising how correlated things are today relative to one year ago today.

I've been wondering when the xyz will hit the fan. We're just a little above the prior high level for the year when the earthquake and tsunami struck. We seem to be bouncing off that ceiling, we don't seem to move much higher tho we can run up to it when we drop down. I expect we'll see a pull back soon but who knows for sure.

Street Smart Report Online

Back
Top Bottom