Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-20-2016, 08:48 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Does this mean trust fund babies have short life spans? Since they are retired before they ever started working

I do believe in the negative impact of losing purpose and sense of self-worth though, which work does provide for some.

That would be an interesting question to answer, who has longer/better lives, 1st gen wealth creators or their offspring/beneficiary. Mostly we would probably just use the info to reinforce our own prejudice, but still, it would be interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2016, 02:54 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
I do believe in the negative impact of losing purpose and sense of self-worth though, which work does provide for some.
For some, this is true. For many others, the effect of a megacorp "career" can be to warp one's perspective of purpose and continually erode their sense of self-worth.

Oddly enough, in my experience it is often the "most successful" that suffer from this. New leadership takes over and yesterday's hero is now out to pasture, suddenly devoid of that artificial purpose and self-worth. They're now miserable whether they retire and dream of past glory, or stick around and struggle frantically to recapture it. Oh well, at least they've got a strong portfolio! No wait, they never got around to that.....
FIREchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:11 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I look at my brother.... Worked up till the end - well, until the cancer was too serious. Died at age 48. Do cases like his fit into the model - those that die before they reach retirement?
Just like the early SS survey...it's skewed because those who have died can't vote.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:46 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Yesterday we had discussion about that with friends. We are mix bag: retired flight attendant, retired maintenance multi craft mechanic, retired executive assistant and lawyer who currently works at major law firm-Vp HR. , and plan to retire this year. Jointly we came to the conclusion that people who works high level managerial jobs have harder transition into retirement. They are driven and defined by what they do, and once they retire they somehow struggle with identity. People whose jobs are not that demanding have more time to develop hobbies and interest outside work, and are happier in retirement.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
emerytura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:02 PM   #25

I look forward to disproving this one.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:22 PM   #26

Obviously phony research funded by some devious mega-corp or the US Chamber of Commerce, trying to scare those still working to stay at it .
You need to keep working until the company has no more use for your services.

Might even be a grain of truth in my conspiracy theory on this.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:33 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerytura View Post
people who work high level managerial jobs have a harder transition into retirement. They are driven and defined by what they do, and once they retire they somehow struggle with identity.
Certainly not a universal, but that seems to be the case rather more often than not, in my experience. Well over half of those in high level positions that I have known would fit in this group.

Fortunately, those were not the ones I was friends with!
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:27 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Might even be a grain of truth in my conspiracy theory on this.
But, of course! How dare you leave before megacorp decides to throw you out. My megacorp used to have a corporate policy on how you could quit (notification requirements, etc.). This is not a joke. Unfortunately, common sense and corporate lawyers caught up to them before I had a chance to violate the policy.
FIREchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:26 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREchief View Post
.......... My megacorp used to have a corporate policy on how you could quit (notification requirements, etc.)........
At MegaMotors we were not even allowed to die without permission.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:43 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

This plays into the financial management companies agenda. You must keep working longer because you will not have enough money to retire. OR our 1.5% management fee will be larger and we need the money. I am constantly amazed at the folks who pay that 1-1.5% fee and think that they cannot do their own investing.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:26 PM   #31

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1472326005.977982.jpg