Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

I don't believe this... "Early retirement maybe the kiss of Death"..
Old 08-17-2016, 01:29 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't believe this... "Early retirement maybe the kiss of Death"..

Obviously the author justified her way to work until she dies. NOT FOR ME, I will retire as early as I can...

Enuff

Early Retirement May Be The Kiss Of Death, Study Finds
Enuff2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2016, 01:32 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuff2Eat View Post
Obviously the author justified her way to work until she dies. NOT FOR ME, I will retire as early as I can...

Enuff

Early Retirement May Be The Kiss Of Death, Study Finds
Well, I'm going to take my chances....
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:40 PM   #3
gone traveling

Perhaps they should have also correlated to include financial health, as that can be a key source to overall well being.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:42 PM   #4

Sample size not mentioned and what about things like family longevity/history? That would have a FAR greater impact on longevity than what age you were when you retired. And people who "claim that health is not a factor in when they retire" aren't necessarily active outside of work either.

I'm with euro, I'll take my chances....
doneat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:45 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

most early retirements are health related - people on this forum are healthier than average based on a recent pole
Old 08-17-2016, 01:51 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Salve for those who never prepared.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:52 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
Well, I'm going to take my chances....
Ditto!!
Old 08-17-2016, 02:52 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

That's easy to explain, if you remove physical health and longevity factors, you can still divide workers into those who are happy with their jobs vs those who hate their jobs. Which side do you think will retire early more often? And which side do you think has more accumulated mental anguish? I think their statement "Working a year longer had a positive impact on the study participants’ mortality rate regardless of their health status" may have taken consequence as cause.
dunkelblau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:16 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

IIRC, socio-economic status is most correlated with longevity - even more so than family history (though I do not have a citation.) Based on that, I could see that some early retirements (those leading to "poverty") might well lead to an earlier death on average. Other than that, my gut tells me it's also correlated to "why" folks w*rk. Those who w*rk just for the money to afford "life" probably do not die early once they have enough money to "fund" life without w*rking. Those who find the "meaning" in their lives (you know who you are!) through w*rk, probably DO die younger on average. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
IIRC, socio-economic status is most correlated with longevity - even more so than family history (though I do not have a citation.) Based on that, I could see that some early retirements (those leading to "poverty") might well lead to an earlier death on average. Other than that, my gut tells me it's also correlated to "why" folks w*rk. Those who w*rk just for the money to afford "life" probably do not die early once they have enough money to "fund" life without w*rking. Those who find the "meaning" in their lives (you know who you are!) through w*rk, probably DO die younger on average. YMMV
+1

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:23 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I certainly wished I had known that when I retired from the military at age 42. Oh wait? I am turning 70 next year so never mind
btdt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:33 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

If I could get paid to write and study about lame stuff like this I might still be working.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:01 AM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

At least I'll die happy.
uncaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:37 PM   #14

As with euro, I'll just have to take my chances. So far I'm still mooching off my former employer's pension plan, it's miserably hot outside, I'm sitting here with the A/C on and working is a distant memory.

This is bad for my health? I call B.S.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:53 PM   #15

Yes, grim reaper must be around the corner of my deck as I look out on the lake on a pleasant afternoon of doing, hmmm, not much! This morning did 2 hours of hard work clearing some trees, shrubs, and had a nice nap after lunch. At 65 as I sip this ice cold beer all I can say is if the price of it is to have the reaper leap out and get me, well, what ya gonna do? If the insurance policy price to keep him at bay is to have spent the last 5 years taking the abuse I did, then I'm just fine. Of course, not ready to go, but if the price of higher chance of staying is working, well then just ____ that! (phooey to)
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:35 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Salve for those who never prepared.
+1 Also, when people who haven't prepared financially convince themselves that "it will all work out," the financial stress often catches up to them.
FIREchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:48 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I disagree to the extent that I retired at 61, I had way too much energy to retire earlier, but Most of you retired much earlier. But I do thank some of you working until 70 or 80 because you are funding my SS and ACA subsidy.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:52 PM   #18

I look at my brother.... Worked up till the end - well, until the cancer was too serious. Died at age 48. Do cases like his fit into the model - those that die before they reach retirement?
Old 08-19-2016, 11:03 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
During the study period, about 12 percent of the healthy and 25.6 percent of the unhealthy retirees died, according to the study. Healthy retirees who worked a year longer had an 11 percent lower risk of mortality, while unhealthy retirees who worked a year longer had a 9 percent lower mortality risk. Working a year longer had a positive impact on the study participants’ mortality rate regardless of their health status.
It's hard to tell whether this is statistically valid or just within the uncertainty range. Hopefully the journal reviewers asked that question.

I'd like to see it repeated for people in their 40s and 50s, not just those aged 65.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:37 AM   #20

Does this mean trust fund babies have short life spans? Since they are retired before they ever started working

I do believe in the negative impact of losing purpose and sense of self-worth though, which work does provide for some.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote