Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-02-2015, 11:20 AM   #121
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd_2015 View Post
Life is a game and the person who dies with the most toys and has the most debt at time of death wins.
Sadly, if someone dies early enough and doesn't have a spouse and heirs, this can actually be true. The person who loses is the one who loaned money to the dead guy.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd_2015 View Post
Life is a game and the person who dies with the most toys and has the most debt at time of death wins.
Back in the '50's we had a local pharmacist who had the biggest house, best part of town, newest cars, biggest boat, private schools etc etc. He often bragged that it was all financed...." I can have all this stuff for only $X a month!!".

Life was great.

Until he dropped dead at age 49 from a heat attack. Zero balance.

It wasn't the debtors who suffered as much as his wife and kids. Had to move out of the mansion, sell everything, get a crappy apartment; eventually ended up on public assistance.

Left quite a mess.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:50 AM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
... Until he dropped dead at age 49 from a heat attack...
I hope the above is a typo. It's been hot here (as high as 110F), and that word touches a raw nerve.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:34 PM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Yup, that was mine, only mine was blue. I was dead set on getting A/C in it and the A/C alone was $700. But an option package that included the A/C was $400, and included the tilt wheel, power door locks, power windows and some extra interior lights. Pure luxury living where I came from. Also did have the sliding rear window that I never used. Mine did have a tape deck so that was nice. I kept that truck for 18 years until parts availability started to become an issue. So my "retirement present" was a new 2003 GMC pickup that I'll keep as long or longer.
I had an 85 Silverado as well. It was silver and blue, Cowboy's colors. Biggest POS ever produced by GM. Everything on that truck broke, I mean everything from the power windows to the torque converter, even the paint failed after a couple of years. Last GM I purchased....
Derslickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:57 AM   #125
Give me a forum ...

I had a '92 Chev "work truck", with a very underpowered V6, that ate batteries and starters. On the return leg of a roadtrip, tailpipe broke at a weld joint. Luckily, I had a coat hanger! But, when I got home, I traded it for a 2000 Silverado. Absolutely no issues in eleven years and 120k miles.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:24 PM   #126
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derslickmeister View Post
I had an 85 Silverado as well. It was silver and blue, Cowboy's colors. Biggest POS ever produced by GM. Everything on that truck broke, I mean everything from the power windows to the torque converter, even the paint failed after a couple of years. Last GM I purchased....
Did yours have the 3-speed or 4-speed automatic? Mine never had a lick of transmission trouble, but it has the 3-speed, which is a fairly rugged, durable unit called the THM350, and dates back to 1969, I believe...an era when GM usually got things right from the get-go. I think the 4-speed unit was called the 700R4 and while it was supposedly based on the THM350, it wasn't just that former transmission with an overdrive gear added. Rather, GM found a way to go through it, redesign it, and "modernize (i.e., cheapen) it. And sadly, they never did seem to get it right. In later years, it was revised again and called the L4-60E or something like that. My uncle had a '97 Silverado that ate two of them. Even well into the 2000's, Edmunds.com did a test of a Silverado wit that transmission, and it failed during their testing.

That transmission was one of the things that swayed me from a Chevy/GMC to a Dodge when I bought a new truck in 2012. I just wanted a fairly cheap, basic truck, but if you got that at GM, you were still stuck with that same transmission. But, as Karma would have it, the transmission in my Ram has been a sore spot. It hasn't actually failed, but I don't like the way it shifts...sometimes it seems slow to react. It also stalled out on two separate occasions in the driveway. At first I didn't realize that was transmission-related, but then one time I started it, and it seemed really lethargic. It got me to work, but I noticed it wasn't shifting. Turns out it had gotten stuck in 4th gear somehow, and wouldn't upshift or downshift. I turned it off and on again, and that reset it. That was probably what made it stall the other two times. It pulled that 4th gear stunt one more time, but that was about two years ago, and the problem hasn't come back.

Paint was a funny thing back then, too. I'm guessing your blue/silver was metallic...and metallic just didn't hold up back then. It would get even worse in 1987, when they switched to more environmentally friendly paint. Mine is red/white, but non-metallic, and still fairly shiny, after 30 years. It's getting weak though. If I wash it, it'll turn the water red!

Also, I remember the driver's side power window motor being the first thing to fail on our '85 Silverado. But, that wasn't until it was about 6 years old.
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:23 PM   #127

Quote:
Mine did have the paint failure, but it wasn't something I was terribly concerned about at the time, it being more of an irritation. But the truck itself was very reliable and that was my main concern. I don't remember doing more than the scheduled maintenance on it. Oh yeah, it did need an A/C compressor once but that was it.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:16 PM   #128

Quote:
One could change the brand to any brand and someone would still have the same results.

My Toyota 1995 SR5 V6 pickup? Gutless wonder and a sinkhole of money. Will never buy another Toyota....

I own a Chevy pickup now...happy as can be!
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:55 AM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
One could change the brand to any brand and someone would still have the same results............
When I worked for Megamotors, I got a new lease car every year. My then wife drove said lease car, but was embarrassed to have a new one yearly, so we ordered the same model and color every year. It was amazing how trouble free some cars were and what a POS others were even with virtually no changes in design between model years. It is almost as if problems are statistically driven.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:38 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
When I worked for Megamotors, I got a new lease car every year. My then wife drove said lease car, but was embarrassed to have a new one yearly, so we ordered the same model and color every year. It was amazing how trouble free some cars were and what a POS others were even with virtually no changes in design between model years. It is almost as if problems are statistically driven.
What's really sad is that you'd actually have some cars that would end up being a POS after just one year! But, those were the days...

And I guess even today, you can still get stuck with a lemon. The last real turd I can remember anyone buying was my co-worker, who bought a 2000 Lincoln LS V-6, which was the first year they came out, and a joint venture between Ford and Jaguar. He had coolant problems, transmission problems, and something else I forget, all within a year. It was so bad that he got the dealer to take it back and give him a very good deal on a 2001 LS with the V-8. That one was troublefree, but he was spooked enough that he traded it before it hit 50,000 miles, and started leasing Acura TLs. He drives about 80 miles a day, so I'm sure the monthly payment is killing him, especially with that kind of mileage rack-up. Before that 2000 LS, he wasn't afraid of keeping a car to high mileage. He had two Mark VIIs before that, an '87 and a '92. Both bought two years old, and both run up to around 175-180,000 miles or so.

Oh, and back in the 1990's, I had a friend whose mother bought a new Plymouth Acclaim, and the engine went out on it before a year was even up. I don't remember the details, whether it got lemon-lawed or anything like that, but she ended up replacing it with a Geo Prizm I think.
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:19 PM   #131

You think San Diego is bad, try visiting here in the Bay Area! It certainly has to do with salaries, I just retired from a California city and you wouldn't believe how much they paid me, including my now retirement. It's almost sickening when people ask me about it.

The average private vehicle where I worked was anything from a $40,000 pickup truck to a $50,000 BMW, the general public was even driving nicer vehicles. Whole different world out here.
Drake3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:56 PM   #132

Yes, I think people coming from Wealthy cities like San Diego and San Francisco are just going to have more wealth than the average folks from Rural Indiana or Kansas are going to have. There is a lot more opportunity for higher wages and for Small business owners to tap into the wealth of the area. Wealth begets wealth and small town poverty begets poverty.

I don't care how hard working or innovative you are, if you are located in Rural Mississippi or Alabama you are just not going to have the opportunities that people in Cities in California have. LBYM just isn't going to cut it! There are always exceptions, but if you are just looking out over the entire area, you are going to see this.
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote