Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #61

I owned my show horse, but it is different here in the South, I suspect. My board was around $200 a month and the shows in town were less than $50. Out of town weekend regional shows were more than that, but it was a middle class pursuit as far as I could tell.
Now the dressage, hunter show, hoity toity folks--they spent some serious money. I rode Appaloosas, both English and Western, at breed and local saddle shows.
Here's King Eagle Feather, not mine, but the most fun jumper in the barn. And the white horse was Rock Hudson, my beloved show horse who was SC State Champion Performance Horse the year I was 15--competing against professionals. Riding horses kept me out of a lot of the trouble I would have found at the beach.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20110912171301.jpg (549.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20110912171246.jpg (108.8 KB, 11 views)

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2011, 12:52 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Riding horses kept me out of a lot of the trouble I would have found at the beach.
Uh..........hold on a minute, didn't you LIVE on the beach for awhile?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:57 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

I took great pride winning sack races and occasional competitions against this kid when we were both in high school: Oregon Sports Hall of Fame

I understand he was still judging events until recently.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #64
gone traveling

Being a guy, I never understood the relationship of girls and horses.

However, I once was told it had something to do with being in the saddle and the reaction one obtained after a hard ride.

Was I missing something? ...
Old 10-18-2011, 01:09 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
You mean, like, being the only guy rider in an arena full of hot teen girls in leather boots with riding crops? And their moms too?

When I became aware of the dressage demographics I immediately regretted all the teen years I wasted hanging around golf courses.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:23 PM   #66

Quote:
Being a guy, I never understood the relationship of girls and horses.

However, I once was told it had something to do with being in the saddle and the reaction one obtained after a hard ride.

Surely there is some sort of filter you could buy at the auto parts store to prevent this kind of thing, isn't there?

Old 10-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Sarah, you look just like Julia Roberts riding in the movie Conspiracy Theory!
Old 10-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Actually most of the serious riders are male. Just look at the list of Olympic equestrians.

Girls don't participate in contact sports (unless you want to regard women's soccer as a contact sport) so riding is often an activity they have time for. I also liked riding because of a vision defect, I don't see in three dimensions so ball sports were not an option. Riding is the perfect sport for a person with vision problems.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:54 PM   #69
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
When I became aware of the dressage demographics I immediately regretted all the teen years I wasted hanging around golf courses.
So you went from golfing (an "old man's game") to surfing (a "young man's" sport, IMHO)?

Uh, living your life in reverse? ...
Old 10-18-2011, 01:56 PM   #70
gone traveling

Quote:
Surely there is some sort of filter you could buy at the auto parts store to prevent this kind of thing, isn't there?
Probably; but DW won't let me make the purchase ...
Old 10-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #71

Quote:
Probably; but DW won't let me make the purchase ...
She's too busy buying arsenic, I'm sure.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:19 PM   #72
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Had a thing for Appy's, huh? My little town is home of the national breed registry, Appaloosa Horse Club and museum. The breed started in my area (known as "The Palouse." The Palouse Hills )

Quote:
I owned my show horse, but it is different here in the South, I suspect. My board was around $200 a month and the shows in town were less than $50. Out of town weekend regional shows were more than that, but it was a middle class pursuit as far as I could tell.
Now the dressage, hunter show, hoity toity folks--they spent some serious money. I rode Appaloosas, both English and Western, at breed and local saddle shows.
Here's King Eagle Feather, not mine, but the most fun jumper in the barn. And the white horse was Rock Hudson, my beloved show horse who was SC State Champion Performance Horse the year I was 15--competing against professionals. Riding horses kept me out of a lot of the trouble I would have found at the beach.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:25 PM   #73

Oh, yes, Keim, I always dreamed of getting to go out there and see the birthplace of the Appaloosa and learn more about the Nez Perce Indians who bred them. I was thrilled to see a leopard spotted horse in Mongolia back in 2008 and wondered...how the heck did that one get here? Still don't know!
It must surely be a beautiful place you live from the pictures I remember seeing back in the day.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #74

If you have the time check out the link I provided for some really nice shots of the area.

I am blessed to live in a unique and very pretty area.

Coincedentally, one of the key people involved with keeping the breed alive and starting the club just passed last month-George Hatley. I met him a time or two, but only in passing. He was a great man.

Quote:
Oh, yes, Keim, I always dreamed of getting to go out there and see the birthplace of the Appaloosa and learn more about the Nez Perce Indians who bred them. I was thrilled to see a leopard spotted horse in Mongolia back in 2008 and wondered...how the heck did that one get here? Still don't know!
It must surely be a beautiful place you live from the pictures I remember seeing back in the day.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:30 PM   #75

Wow! This started out as a discussion on daycare costs and ends up being about girls on horses. Its almost like real people talking
Old 10-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So you went from golfing (an "old man's game") to surfing (a "young man's" sport, IMHO)?
I grew up in a golfing family and getting the high-school golf-course job was easy. Then I joined the Navy, where junior officers were expected to show up for golf outings whether or not you actually golfed.

But when we got to Monterey and discovered SCUBA diving, I sold my clubs and never went out on a course again.

"Young man's" sport?!? You should see the lineup at our local beach. I bring the average age down by over a decade.

Rabbit Kekai was surfing well into his 80s, Woody Browne into his 90s, Doc Ball was skateboarding even beyond that, and local tire-company legend Lex Brodie was surfing at the age of 90. I don't know how old Buffalo Keaulana is but I'm pretty sure he's still out there.

Sad to say, today's groms with their eyes on competition need to be taking professional coaching before they're teenagers. But for those of us with the Zen to rise above that human strife to actually enjoy the surf, it just gets better as we get older.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Actually most of the serious riders are male. Just look at the list of Olympic equestrians.

Girls don't participate in contact sports (unless you want to regard women's soccer as a contact sport) so riding is often an activity they have time for. I also liked riding because of a vision defect, I don't see in three dimensions so ball sports were not an option. Riding is the perfect sport for a person with vision problems.
I don't see in 3d too well either, so never could do ball sports. Every horse I have been on has tried to throw me. I used to settle for archery and target shooting, since I see 2d just fine. Sigh...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:08 PM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

On the original topic, DW quit her job when our first was a year old, we found we weren't able to justify the slight net income increase with all the stress. Then we got lucky and her little consulting on the side grew from 5 hours to eventually 25 hours a week from home (mostly) and have been doing it ever since. We have friends with three daughters as well, doing the day care thing, and at the peak were paying $3k a month. Combine that with the fact that mom was too tired to cook at the end of the day so that meant take out or pizza and you can see why she's trying to convince her DH to let her quit. But sometimes the $500 a month net from work minus day care is that critical amount of money.

On the follow up topics, I'm very glad we put our daughters through swim lessons and very glad that we're done paying that monthly bill.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:31 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You one with that horse. Great form and a beautiful picture.

Ha
Old 10-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
You mean, like, being the only guy rider in an arena full of hot teen girls in leather boots with riding crops?
Sounds like Saturday nights when I was in college..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote