Join Early Retirement Today

I got some great news last week....
Old 05-25-2015, 09:35 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

I got some great news last week....

My Penfed 5/5 ARM adjusted from 2.5% to only 2.625%. I assumed back when I got the 2.5% rate that it would adjust to the max for the next 5-year period. I had it budgeted that way and honestly forgot about it (which is silly).

We should be selling this suburban boat anchor within the next adjustment period.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2015, 10:14 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Always great when the "adjustable" part works in your favor! My first husband bought a condo in 1982 when interest rates were sky-high. His credit was bad, too, which didn't help. He got an ARM at 16.5%. It adjusted annually and by the time he sold it in 1985 the rate had adjusted down to 12.5%. I forget what the market rates were but they were definitely lower. I bet the bank was unhappy to see it paid off.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:19 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
My Penfed 5/5 ARM adjusted from 2.5% to only 2.625%. I assumed back when I got the 2.5% rate that it would adjust to the max for the next 5-year period. I had it budgeted that way and honestly forgot about it (which is silly).

We should be selling this suburban boat anchor within the next adjustment period.
I had re-fied into the PenFed 5/5 ARM product back in 2011 or so, when it was (I think) 3.375%. I have several long-term options, and there is only a smaller chance that I'll be living in this exact house long-term (will likely either move or tear down and rebuild). So to avoid rolling the dice with the 5 year reset (since I knew rates just had to be higher 5 years later! ), I refied a year later into their 1.99% 5 year Home Equity loan.

Good to hear that your reset was miniscule! Enjoy the next 5 years! But not silly at all on assuming rates would max-out, since that's what I had initially assumed (since the max rate increase was, I think, 2% increase, to 5.375%).
Old 05-25-2015, 02:28 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just got a new PenFed 5/5 ARM last month, also 2.5%.
There's no chance I won't pay it off before it resets, since it's just a bridge loan until we sell the old house, but I was really happy to get it. The other thing that surprised me was that when I started the application, it specified a half point, yet when the transaction was completed, it was only a quarter of a point.

There are still a lot of things about PenFed that are hard to beat!