I got some great news last week....

LRDave

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My Penfed 5/5 ARM adjusted from 2.5% to only 2.625%. I assumed back when I got the 2.5% rate that it would adjust to the max for the next 5-year period. I had it budgeted that way and honestly forgot about it (which is silly).

We should be selling this suburban boat anchor within the next adjustment period.

Always great when the "adjustable" part works in your favor! My first husband bought a condo in 1982 when interest rates were sky-high. His credit was bad, too, which didn't help. He got an ARM at 16.5%. It adjusted annually and by the time he sold it in 1985 the rate had adjusted down to 12.5%. I forget what the market rates were but they were definitely lower. I bet the bank was unhappy to see it paid off.

My Penfed 5/5 ARM adjusted from 2.5% to only 2.625%. I assumed back when I got the 2.5% rate that it would adjust to the max for the next 5-year period. I had it budgeted that way and honestly forgot about it (which is silly).

We should be selling this suburban boat anchor within the next adjustment period.

I had re-fied into the PenFed 5/5 ARM product back in 2011 or so, when it was (I think) 3.375%. I have several long-term options, and there is only a smaller chance that I'll be living in this exact house long-term (will likely either move or tear down and rebuild). So to avoid rolling the dice with the 5 year reset (since I knew rates just had to be higher 5 years later! :rolleyes: ), I refied a year later into their 1.99% 5 year Home Equity loan.

Good to hear that your reset was miniscule! Enjoy the next 5 years! But not silly at all on assuming rates would max-out, since that's what I had initially assumed (since the max rate increase was, I think, 2% increase, to 5.375%).

I just got a new PenFed 5/5 ARM last month, also 2.5%.
There's no chance I won't pay it off before it resets, since it's just a bridge loan until we sell the old house, but I was really happy to get it. The other thing that surprised me was that when I started the application, it specified a half point, yet when the transaction was completed, it was only a quarter of a point.

There are still a lot of things about PenFed that are hard to beat!

Back
Top Bottom