I guess I'm pleased with how my portfolio has held up this year

What I lost last month was very close to what I lost in Jan 2009.... but more than what I lost during 2010.... and since I had less money then, the % is smaller now....

Didn't do anything then and not doing anything now...

I am down 1.3% since the start of the year with about 65% equities. Individual stock picks in the portfolio have buoyed performance rather than bonds, since I don't have much traditional bond fund exposure. This sort of thing makes me question my choice to move to more index exposure, but I still think it makes me less likely to blow myself up with a big, bad bet.

I am down -1.28387058330318. Lots of equities > 10% bonds NW up 1.9%

Last edited:
As of the end of January, I'm down 1.4%. Started the year at 55/45 allocation, but then we sold some equities to set aside some cash to cover some high expenses over the next 3 years (2 kids in college). We sold the equities before the downturn. Then, we sold what we had in the Total Bond Fund at Vanguard and put it in the 3% Penfed 5 year certificate. So our bonds are now mostly in the short term investment grade fund at Vanguard or the part that is in Wellesley.

My main account was down 1.42% with a 71 equity, 13 bond, 11 cash and 5 alt allocation. Alt is mainly gold etf and gold equities.

All I can say is that the year barely started. The one with most gain at the end of the year wins :D.

I haven't checked my portfolio's performance for January. But, including new contributions, my net worth reached a new high last month, so it can't be that bad.

I try to focus on the big picture, so I have a log scale liquid net worth chart with a trend line. Below is what looked at when I saw this thread (that's just over 6 months of time). I don't think there's a problem.

Attachments

• logscalenetworth.jpg
    logscalenetworth.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 145
"big picture"? Looks darn small to me... :cool:
Hehe, yeah, but I just used 'snag-it', grabbing, as it turns out, just over one year (not 6 months) of data. The whole chart is pretty big though, 20 years.

I haven't checked my portfolio's performance for January. But, including new contributions, my net worth reached a new high last month, so it can't be that bad.
Last year, I kept waiting for a modest dip to purchase my Roth, and never got it so through in the towel in late March. This year it looks to be paying off for me to wait. At least I didn't learn from my mistake and buy Jan. 1. Probably immaterial to me either way as I don't anticipate ever spending it, but I at least like a small bone thrown my way to occasionally think I am smart.

Bunch of Nervous Nellies...............:)

Last year, I kept waiting for a modest dip to purchase my Roth, and never got it so through in the towel in late March. This year it looks to be paying off for me to wait. At least I didn't learn from my mistake and buy Jan. 1. Probably immaterial to me either way as I don't anticipate ever spending it, but I at least like a small bone thrown my way to occasionally think I am smart.

Heck, you invest NEW money into a ROTH:confused: I just move it from my taxable account to ROTH.... this time into the same fund!!!

Heck, you invest NEW money into a ROTH:confused: I just move it from my taxable account to ROTH.... this time into the same fund!!!

I kind of done a few things backwards. I took advantage of an opportunity to buy service years before retirement that severely drained my cash. I was in effect borrowing for retirement because the payback was so good. Now that I am retired, I am saving for retirement. This is my last Roth though as I am out of the part time work business for good. I hope anyways!

Haven't bothered to look. Guess its down, but then the market goes up and the market goes down. After 35 years I've grown accustomed to it.

S & P is only down 3% year to date. Normal correction after a 3 month run up. We'll see how bonds are doing 5 months from now versus stocks.

Ok, you're right, I rechecked I'm down maybe 1.3% YTD. And yes - I agree - one month is insignificant in the entire scheme of things.

Back
Top Bottom