Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like a real good deal. Enjoy.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations!

I'm a bit jealous as I grew up in Seattle (Northgate) and part of me would love to move back. The part that loves the warm weather and sunshine of FL will only let me visit a couple times a year!
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:57 PM   #23

Good job Ha! Sounds like it will work out well for you. Always exciting to get a new place. Hope you enjoy it.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:02 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats! Would love to hear as much financial details as you're comfortable sharing (price, sq ft, cash or loan and at what rate, etc)
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:05 PM   #25

Congrats Ha.! Looking forward to some pictures !
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:05 PM   #26

I am so happy for you. It sounds really nice. Congratulations! I love that you will be even closer to your granddaughter.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:40 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations ha! Sounds like a great setup.

What made you decide to transition from renting to owning?
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:39 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations Ha, and enjoy home ownership!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:48 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Twenty eight posts and no one has asked "the" question: Are you going to pay off the mortgage early?

Sounds like a really great place. Hope you really enjoy living there.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:13 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats, Ha! Sounds like a nice place. And knowing you, it is a very good price.

I do think Seattle housing may be bottoming out. I wouldn't feel comfortable sinking our emergency fund into real estate right now, but kind of wish I did -- I have seen some decent places on redfin in different neighborhoods close to family for good prices. But many have quickly gotten offers on them.

Enjoy your new digs and the closeness to family. that is something I sorely miss....
lhamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:35 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Twenty eight posts and no one has asked "the" question: Are you going to pay off the mortgage early?

Sounds like a really great place. Hope you really enjoy living there.
I bet there is no mortgage to pay off.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:38 AM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Are you sure that's a good idea?
Old 10-20-2011, 07:56 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Congrats, Ha, you filthy bottom fisher. Sounds like a great place. Stairs not too bad for when the joints don't cooperate?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:52 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Sounds pretty ideal. Congrats!
Old 10-20-2011, 10:24 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Right. ALthough I have generally been pro-mortgage in our debates, this seller, an older woman who wants to leave the city before Christmas wanted to be sure she had a solid deal, and many mortgage borrower wannabes are getting denied. So I got an additional discount, and of course saved the costs and annoyance associated with a mortgage. Ordinarily I like to hold on to cash, but I would have kept this very safe, and the interest saved is worth more than any interest I would have received on CDs. Also, this is a small deal, and so the mortgage interest deduction would have been little or nothing to me anyway.

This way I will need quite a bit less monthly cash, and still be able to keep my current lifestyle, avoid realized income, etc.

@Brewer- it is not a perfect place for oldsters, but there is only a very short well designed staircase so I think and hope it will be fine. I don't have generalized arthritis- just one hip from a very old traffic crash that took 40 years or so to catch up with me.

I think I thought- "He who doesn't eat when he can, sometimes will not eat at all." I have a pretty long list of criteria, within a small area that I considered OK. I have have sure seen a lot of places with big prices and precious little to recommend them, so it just seemed like this was a good time to take my knife and fork and start the meal.

Ha
Old 10-20-2011, 11:16 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Awsome. Love the posts where people make what they want come true.
Trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:35 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Your new place sounds wonderful.

I am assuming you have help to move your furniture and belongings. If not, maybe someone at the new place can recommend a low cost local mover.

I envision Mr B and I doing the same type of move to a condo, somewhere down the road. The yard w*rk is starting to get a bit much for us, but not impossible. Someday...
Old 10-20-2011, 12:05 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

There are many find Seattle neighborhoods, glad you found a place in one you like. How far to the library? That's always my question.....
Anyway, cash deals are always quick and clean.
I have a neighbor who is moving to a condo, and even though he has great credit and a lot of money, the bank jerked him around on closing.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:33 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
There are many find Seattle neighborhoods, glad you found a place in one you like. How far to the library? That's always my question.....
Anyway, cash deals are always quick and clean.
I have a neighbor who is moving to a condo, and even though he has great credit and a lot of money, the bank jerked him around on closing.
I Just checked =roughly a mile to the downtown main library, also to the branch library that I now use. I will likely start picking up my hold books downtown, as there are many more newspapers and periodicals that I can read there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post

I am assuming you have help to move your furniture and belongings. If not, maybe someone at the new place can recommend a low cost local mover.
My sons work way too hard for me to want to burden them with a move, even though I don't have much stuff.

My former neighbors across the hall moved with a service that dropped off plastic boxes for them to pack at their leisure, and when my friends were ready to go, the movers came and picked up the boxes, bed and other furniture. As I remember it was fairly cheap. I have a couch, a queen bed, a coffee table, small dining table and 4 chairs, and some folding chairs that I keep in my storeroom, and TV/stereo thing that I will try to sell or give away. And of course my rower, but it will be easy in two parts. No dresser even. I want to replace my TV stand with one that I can roll out and get to the back easily. Currently, it is hard for me to change anything.

I have to call them to get the contact info for that outfit. I feel bad for the male part of the couple who used to live across the hall, he was married to the sexiest (and most flirtatious) 35 year old babe that I ever have met. He was just too unwilling to get off the couch and give her some more exciting entertainment. She wanted to dance, go to clubs, he wanted to read. So 4 months after they moved they are already divorced, after like 10 years of marriage. He might be alone a long time; she about 14 minutes.

Ha
Old 10-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I have to call them to get the contact info for that outfit. I feel bad for the male part of the couple who used to live across the hall, he was married to the sexiest (and most flirtatious) 35 year old babe that I ever have met. He was just too unwilling to get off the couch and give her some more exciting entertainment. She wanted to dance, go to clubs, he wanted to read. So 4 months after they moved they are already divorced, after like 10 years of marriage. He might be alone a long time; she about 14 minutes.

Ha

She sounds like a fine addition to your new digs. You old dog.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote