Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Chalk up another benefit of the rowing machine! Good deals on condos.
Congratulations!
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2011, 03:12 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

haha, contragulations in finding a great value close to family!

My yellow flags are a reflection of the issues of others. We moved into a co-op and love it.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:52 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
So, I am excited which is not my normal state.

Ha
Awesome! And Congrats! Must feel good that the waiting and planning worked out for you. Sure sounds like lots of great positives for you.

You mentioned the rowing machine - maybe some clever design might 'hide' it in the open, like some faux four-poster bed drapes or something? Maybe one of your lady friends would enjoy the interior decorating challenge?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:14 AM   #44

Congratulations !
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:35 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Well done!
Old 10-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #46

Congratulations!!!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Update on Condo Purchase
Old 10-27-2011, 08:28 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Update on Condo Purchase

Looks like we are moving well toward a close in mid-November. The seller agreed to my list of needed repairs, so as soon as these are completed and I approve of them, it is essentially a done deal. I have an acceptable preliminary report of title.

Interesting call yesterday from the escrow agent. She needs me to answer a series of questions to assure them that I am not some other Mr. H.Ha, who has quite as assortment of judgments against him oustanding .

I have met the HOA board president and several residents, and they are very nice, mostly 35-55. One older man has been there since it was built in the early 80s. I think I will be as happy with my neighbors in my new place as I have been here in my apartment.

Yesterday I walked from the new place to most of my habitual destinations. Some are farther, some closer, but overall quite similar distances. And, there are many new places for me to explore. Yesterday I had lunch at French bistro a few blocks west of the condo. Very good, and fairly inexpensive. Nice wine list, and very, very good espresso.

Ha
Old 10-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Sounds great, Ha. Did you manage to scam them into believing convince them that you aren't the deadbeat? Seems like it will be a good fit for you, from your description. Let us know how closing and all that brouhaha goes. Then we need pictures.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Ha,

You must be getting REALLY excited! It sounds like you will have a great time exploring the new neighborhood.
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:57 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Does the condo come with a spare bedroom?
Old 10-27-2011, 05:06 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats Ha! Sounds like there's a lot of cool places nearby to occupy your time when you're not rowing.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:21 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Does the condo come with a spare bedroom?
More importantly, would we all fit?

Sorry, that comeback just jumped off my keyboard. Bad keyboard!
Old 10-28-2011, 07:52 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post

Party at haha's - "The FIRE Crashers!"

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:54 AM   #54
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post

Party at haha's - "The FIRE Crashers!"

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
More fun if we don't fit...

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

A few minor last minute issues came up, but we were able to resolve them with a small price discount by the seller, and a smaller commission give-up by the broker. So we will close on time, this week. The giveups wipe out my closing costs.

The broker told me frankly that sellers are difficult to work with because they feel that their house or condo is truly worth what it might have sold for in 2007 at the top of the market, and anyone who offers less and then has the gall to make other demands is nothing but a bottom feeder and an ingrate. I see the sellers POV, but I don't agree with it as it might pertain to my house buy. To me, reality is that if this place was clearly worth more than what I offered and seller agree to, it would have been sold long ago for that price.

To the broker I said, it must be hard for you to try to hold all this together. She replied true, but not so much compared to having 4 or 5 contracts-of-sale crap out for every one that closes. This broker's reality quotient is far above other realtors' that I have been in contact with during my searches. I feel lucky to have found her.

Funny thing is that this week, friends sold a place at a profit, that they bought in 2007. It sold in 2 weeks from listing.

The real estate market is very interesting, and clearly full of intense personal feelings. I will be kind of hard up for drama after we close.

Ha
Old 11-15-2011, 11:37 AM   #56
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Last minute surprises are way too common in the real estate 'bidness'. Glad things worked out for you.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:40 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Thank you Wahoo.

Ha
Old 11-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
A few minor last minute issues came up, but we were able to resolve them with a small price discount by the seller, and a smaller commission give-up by the broker. So we will close on time, this week. The giveups wipe out my closing costs.

The broker told me frankly that sellers are difficult to work with because they feel that their house or condo is truly worth what it might have sold for in 2007 at the top of the market, and anyone who offers less and then has the gall to make other demands is nothing but a bottom feeder and an ingrate. I see the sellers POV, but I don't agree with it as it might pertain to my house buy. To me, reality is that if this place was clearly worth more than what I offered and seller agree to, it would have been sold long ago for that price.

To the broker I said, it must be hard for you to try to hold all this together. She replied true, but not so much compared to having 4 or 5 contracts-of-sale crap out for every one that closes. This broker's reality quotient is far above other realtors' that I have been in contact with during my searches. I feel lucky to have found her.

Funny thing is that this week, friends sold a place at a profit, that they bought in 2007. It sold in 2 weeks from listing.

The real estate market is very interesting, and clearly full of intense personal feelings. I will be kind of hard up for drama after we close.

Ha
Sounds like you had a reasonable seller and a great broker! Our deal fell thru this summer because the seller was not only unreasonable but was out of communication the last 2 weeks of due diligence. He was gold mining in Wyoming. I felt he left me hanging so he didn't have to negotiate anymore.

Enjoy your new condo Ha and post some pics.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:59 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

I have never been through a closing that could be described as "smooth", at least from my viewpoint. But soon it will all be behind you. Sounds like your realtor is very realistic, and that helps.

I hope you post about the experience of settling into your new home, once you have had enough time to catch your breath. A lot of us (me included) would get a lot of vicarious joy from reading about it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:14 PM   #60

Glad to hear that things are progressing nicely. It will soon be behind you. Good luck with the move and settling in.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote