Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations Ha! Somethings are just worth fighting for. As a realtor, I once had a closing fall apart at the eleventh hour over a set of crummy dishes. The place was sold as furnished and at the last minute the seller decided she wanted a set of dishes so she took them. The buyer had a fit. Offered to buy her a new set of dishes. No way! She wanted THOSE dishes and the seller refused to give them up. They both walked away from the closing table. The broker told the seller he would sue for performance. He knew he wouldn't win that one but the seller and buyer were locking horns. Luckily, we resold it a week later.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2011, 03:11 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congrats!

Yes, if one does not buy low, then when does he buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
More importantly, would we all fit?
Some forum members would be more interested in knowing what length of AC cord they need to bring in order to plug in their RV.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:36 AM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
The real estate market is very interesting, and clearly full of intense personal feelings. I will be kind of hard up for drama after we close.

Ha
I know what you're talking about. When we (me, DW, our realtor, seller, seller's realtor) were negotiating in the conference room at the realtor's office, DW and owner(another woman) got into a tizzy and had to be put in separate rooms.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:45 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

The real estate market is very interesting, and clearly full of intense personal feelings. I will be kind of hard up for drama after we close.

Ha

It seems that way, even in the best of times. Sometimes the issues are not even about price. I have seen situations where the previous owner got to an acceptable price but wanted to remain in the house longer (because of their pending purchase or house being built)... and get hung up on hoping the purchaser would wait. But the purchasers is often selling too... domino effect.

It is worth what someone will pay at the time. That can work for you or against you.

But... did you get a steal? Yeah I know... you paid a fair market driven price. But are you thrilled with the new digs and the price you paid?
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:31 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
But... did you get a steal? Yeah I know... you paid a fair market driven price. But are you thrilled with the new digs and the price you paid?
I think I will have to live there for a while before I can answer this personal part. The neighborhood is more urban than my current one, and the street is noisier. OTOH the apartment is quite a bit bigger, and in some ways nicer though it is from a more recent era and lacks some "charm" relative to the old brick building I live in now.

Financially, I would not buy it as a cash flow proposition. It was renting @ $1300/mo. My known and estimated cash costs plus a hypothetical 100% 30 year loan at 4.25% give a modest positive cash flow, without any vacancy factor.

It has been a long while since this sort of proposition was available around here. But nevertheless, the proposition on the face of it is less than thrilling. Where it will win over time, if it does, is by avoiding what may be fairly steep rent increases. What counts most heavily with mid-market rents in these neighborhoods is not overall employment, but tech and other large company overall employment and new hires of young people, which have remained pretty good in spite of a fairly high overall unemployment rate in Seattle.

There is also good inmigration of this same demographic. Primary grade enrollment in Seattle schools is up the last 3 years, after a long period of decline. A demographer hired by the school district puts this to dislocations in the mortgage and housing markets, which have at least temporarily ended the longstanding tendency of young adults to live in mostly rented housing in the city, then buy a house and move to the suburbs when they have children. That they are doing less of this than before is a fact, as many suburban districts are showing early grade head count losses, while Seattle is gaining. What is not certain in my view is why. Maybe more people have decided that the city has some advantages, even with children.

Ha