Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-08-2017, 03:32 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
Agreed. Even my limited Excel skills enabled me to build some awesome retirement planning spreadsheets. It's fun to plug in different variables,hit enter and watch all the numbers change.
I also enjoy my spreadsheets. I have many variations. Being good at spreadsheets made managing big projects at work with all sorts of moving parts a breeze and has done the same for our retirement planning.

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2017, 03:56 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have been planning for a while but never reached the numbers fatigue. While I have a lot of good historical spending data from Quicken that I have used for a base to adjust from, I also try to anticipate "what if I am off", and the degree to which I miss the mark would cause an impact. It gets more comfortable when I realize I cannot control everything, just my reaction to what happens. I do not go overboard on the numbers but also look at what actions we could take if in error... and we have many options there, which adds comfort.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:07 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

You know you are ready to retire when you say, "I'm so tired of looking at numbers - screw it, I'll make it work". Ten years later, you realize you were worrying about nothing.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:54 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
You know you are ready to retire when you say, "I'm so tired of looking at numbers - screw it, I'll make it work". Ten years later, you realize you were worrying about nothing.
Yep, my actual decision came quickly when I hit a wall at w*rk. I had always checked the numbers so carefully and obsessed over them. When the time came, I didn't even do a "final" NW or proposed-income statement. I just said "I'm outta here" and left. Within weeks it occurred to me that I could have done it much sooner and after almost 12 years I sometimes wonder why I ever worried. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:08 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I also enjoy my spreadsheets. I have many variations. Being good at spreadsheets made managing big projects at work with all sorts of moving parts a breeze and has done the same for our retirement planning.
Add me to the list of people who can pass a whole lot of time in spreadsheet land.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:37 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Suggestion
Model three scenarios. Use a spreadsheet with three collums to the right of categories for your income and expense figures.
The middle collumn is most likely
The left collum is "worst" ( which fo4 income items is lowest, expense its are highest)
The right collumn is 'best' (opposite of above)

Then run firecalc on income expense for all three collumns.

Most likely 'worst' will be a far miss off what you need because if everythig goes wrong then for most of us we will miss. So dont too concerned about point of the exercise is to show you that you cant plan for everything bad happening at once. No one can. So if it were me i would base my decision off having a comfortable margin say 95 percent on mostlikely collumn.

....Then if life hands me lemons i would adjust.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:03 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Get with the 90's girl. Seriously, excel will change your life, certainly did for me (only partially in jest).
Flashback to 1980. The TRS-80 and the Apple ][ were the frontier of microcomputers, and people were saying "Why in the world would I want one of those?"

Then VisiCalc came out and suddenly everyone said "Oh, that's why I want one of those!"

The original "killer app."
Old 08-09-2017, 08:14 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Flashback to 1980. The TRS-80 and the Apple ][ were the frontier of microcomputers, and people were saying "Why in the world would I want one of those?"

Then VisiCalc came out and suddenly everyone said "Oh, that's why I want one of those!"

The original "killer app."
I remember my first experience with VisiCalc. Was working at E&Y early 80's. Blew me away. E&Y trained the whole firm on how to use it. Then Lotus and finally Excel. For financial types the world changed.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:18 AM   #29

VisiCalc? The beginning of my road to ruination. A lifetime of addiction. My first true platonic love.

What if ...
Old 08-09-2017, 08:28 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I remember the first time I opened Lotus 1-2-3 on a PS2, in about 1990, having absolutely no idea what a spreadsheet program might be, and was totally baffled when greeted with a screen that was nothing but squares. I've figured it out since then, though!
Old 08-09-2017, 08:49 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Two years in I'm still running numbers, but I love it, now usually for relatives and friends.

To me a budget depends on how predictable you are. We have a budget (a do not exceed budget), but I find we have a $2k/month swing in expenses depending on if we are paying attention to our spending or not. That leaves us lots of room for mistakes.

I pulled the plug a bit early so still in spreadsheet mode. At 45 there is just too much unknown not to pay attention. However, for me its simple, no matter WHAT the market brings, I still will have 10 times as much money as most of the people in my family and they will be fine and figure it out, so I can too.

I like to re-run firecalc every 6 months or so and see how "on track" we still are to give me the warm and fuzzy.