Join Early Retirement Today

Re: I just bought VFINX today
Old 03-05-2007, 08:19 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorklady
really, i am serious. wouldn't a good manager be able to beat an index fund? wouldn't a manager be able to spot problems with individual stocks, etc?
I work for an asset manager with a very, very good track record. It is not easy to spot problems before they happen. The world can change quickly (as the market slump that started suddenly a week ago illustrates), and it is not always that easy to figure out what is going on within a company based on public information. Then if we are talking about a mutual fund, there are a lot of constraints that keep you from doing what you might otherwise choose to do. If you actually do beat your benchmark, you usually get flooded with money. We had close to $100MM in new cash show up on our doorstep at the beginning of this year. Imagine trying to find a place to put that. Now make it $1 billion or $10 billion.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2007, 08:19 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorklady
really, i am serious. wouldn't a good manager be able to beat an index fund? wouldn't a manager be able to spot problems with individual stocks, etc?
I see others type faster than me. Oh well, here is my 2 cents -

Seriously - no. Or at least not often enough and regularly enough to overcome the costs.

Because, that manager would need to spot problems that the rest of the market is overlooking. How do you really do that, other than with inside (illegal) info? Sure, you might be able to see that a certain industry or a certain company is headed for bad times, but guess what? The market sees it too, and the stock price has already tanked.

Conversely, if a company is situated to do well, the market sees that, and has already bought up the stock and it is no longer a 'bargain'. A fund manager can interview and research, but do they really get any info that tells them a company is doing something other than what everyone else thinks? Maybe once in a blue moon.

Heck, even the insiders in a company rarely have an idea where the stock is going. They get blind-sided all the time - an unpredicted shift in demand, a sudden rise in costs, a new product from a competitor.

But, I'm all ears. If anyone on this forum has some data to show there is a method for picking mutual funds based on past performance that will act as a predictor of superior future performance, I sure would like to see it.

AFAIK, no Nobel laureates or other Economics PhD's have discovered it either.

-ERD50

Old 03-05-2007, 08:29 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
There will always be people who think they can be the other 20%.
Which would be fine if it were the *same* 20% over time. But they keep rotating out - today's winner may well be tomorrow's loser.

Heck, if it were easy, everyone would do it (which would then dilute the advantage!). Or at least, someone would be selling an expensive seminar telling you how to do it....

-ERD50

Old 03-05-2007, 08:33 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50
Which would be fine if it were the *same* 20% over time. But they keep rotating out - today's winner may well be tomorrow's loser.

Heck, if it were easy, everyone would do it (which would then dilute the advantage!). Or at least, someone would be selling an expensive seminar telling you how to do it....

-ERD50
Time for the Weiner heads to show up :

-h
Old 03-05-2007, 08:42 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswswein
Time for the Weiner heads to show up :

-h
Old 03-05-2007, 08:46 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Yawn - happens every generation.

Active managers beat indexing all the time before expenses and if they are allowed to select the time period. The latest poop if ala Clint E.'s Dirty Harry - 'Do ya feel lucky punk?---'

Goggle up Bogle Financial Markets Research Center - under speeches go to the May15 2006 and go to the last half - no math, simple arithmatic - I'll leave it to a bookie to calculate the odds.

Davis New York Venture, Fidelity Contrafund, Franklin Mutual shares - in the 35 yr rear view mirror. The view forward - heh heh heh - 'do ya feel lucky?'

I let my Nephew use my financial advisor Charles De Gaul (low cost) who put him in VFINX 1994 to present - and if you look at the chart you may agree with him - if he never invests another nickel - his retirement is in the bag.

Yep - VFINX - you heard me right. BTY - dead financial managers work the cheapest.

heh heh heh heh heh heh - let's try one more time - are indexers skins or shirts? : 8)

Old 03-05-2007, 08:50 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
If you actually do beat your benchmark, you usually get flooded with money. We had close to $100MM in new cash show up on our doorstep at the beginning of this year. Imagine trying to find a place to put that. Now make it $1 billion or $10 billion.
That's a nice problem to have - more inflow of cash, more profits or income. It's hard to turn down $$$ or close the fund even though that's right thing to do.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:51 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirJordan on Today at 05:58:45 PM
I just bought VFINX today ... And then I sold it
... must be a wizard ... though i could be mistaken, any trade in VFINX takes place at the market close, so would he not have purchased and sold at exactly the same price?

if he's "in fact smart than the indexers" wouldn't you think he'd know this? ... and have better grammar.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:52 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
We had close to $100MM in new cash show up on our doorstep at the beginning of this year. Imagine trying to find a place to put that. Now make it $1 billion or $10 billion.
Just ask AirJ! He'll know what to do with it
Old 03-05-2007, 09:12 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
I let my Nephew use my financial advisor Charles De Gaul (low cost) who put him in VFINX 1994 to present - and if you look at the chart you may agree with him - if he never invests another nickel - his retirement is in the bag.

heh heh heh heh heh heh - let's try one more time - are indexers skins or shirts? : 8)
We're skins...we've lost our shirts in the market ;-).

2Cor521
In VFINX since at least 1987
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:17 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb
Let's me guess - may be he wants to have his own law firm so that he can be a partner.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:07 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb
You guys are so helpless. Give me 1 billion dollars. That's worth like 10 BRKA shares, and voila, there I'll call it the AirJordan fund, all I do is leech off of Buffet's success.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:38 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

i will read the four pillars of investing. this is actually an enlightening debate, if you can call it that. for me at least.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:44 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

You guys should seriously have a throw down with the people at Motley Fool, Fund Alarm, and M-Star, they all swear by actively managed funds, but hey 1 out of 4 ain't bad
Old 03-06-2007, 10:47 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

people here aren't looking to have "throw downs" with anyone. chill out airjordan.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:55 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

AJ, you're much too conservative. Click here for a system, which works the same way yours does, but has a much bigger payoff.

Here are some past results that you can bank on:

I downloaded this lottery software about a week ago and just have won the Mega Millions Lottery, I LOVE IT !!!!
Rodney

Just wanted to drop you a note. I got 5/5 on the California Fantasy 5 tonight using LB 2002 lottery software. The jackpot is $100,000.00.
Gary H.

I just got 4 out of 5 on Fantasy 5 lottery tonight (pays about 500.00 to 600.00).
That's 3 times I got 4/5 this year! Using this lotto software, almost every draw I get one or two 3/5 (15.00--19.00 ea.)

I have had your lottery software for a few months and have steady success. Have been hitting three numbers on a good basis and have hit four once or twice. I like it and will use this lottery software until I hit the big one.
Franco

I have won the Fantasy Five lottery twice (all five numbers)...and am confident that I will win again.
Rita

I downloaded your lottery software this evening at 6PM and ran it. At 11PM I'm $160 richer!
This is the first no BS lotto software I have found.
Etienne

I love your web site and Lotto Buster lottery software. I downloaded ... crunched numbers for a couple of hours ... my 1st time and I got 5 of 6 in Texas Lottery for $1245 !!!
Robin

I have been using your lottery software with steady success. Have been hitting three numbers on a good basis and have hit four once or twice. Will use it until I hit the big one.
Franco

I want you to know that the first time I played, on the first choice, first line, I hit on the Ohio super lottery 3 (three) numbers.
This lottery software works great.

I played the Florida Lottery last Saturday and I won. 1 ticket with 3 numbers & 1 with 4 numbers.
Your Lottery Software is Enormously Good.
Now I looking for the 6 of 6 with the help of Lotto Buster.
Elton

I have played the lottery in MD for years and could only hit 2 or 3 numbers. The First time I used Lotto Buster lottery software I hit 4 of 6, almost 5 of 6, just one number off.
This lotto software is GREAT!
Jennifer

This week I used your lottery software and won. All 3 of my tickets had winning #'s. The best ticket had 5 of 6!
I've used other lottery software calculators in the past, I like yours best!
It's accurate, professional looking and easy to use!
Richard

My name is Dan and I'm from Romania.
I have worked with your lottery software and I can say that it is exceptional, wonderful.
I won three times in a row because of you and I want to thank you for this excellent lotto software.
Dan T.

Excellent!! Precise instructions, perfect results. Thanks a million.
Andrew

I WON!!! I can't believe it. My wife and I have been playing the lottery for the last six months and didn't win a penny. The first time I used Lotto Buster lottery software I got 4 numbers.
Darien

I have tried many other lottery software programs, some are not too bad, but most are merely lottery number arrangers, which track appearances, frequencies, and number associations. I can find no lotto program other than yours, which utilizes the analytical approaches that you do.
Dick

Well I won again this month making my total pull for the month 317.00, Not bad.
John

Finally hit 5 numbers for the first time.
I have been hitting 3 and 4 pretty regularly but I think I finally got my search limits zeroed in. Here's looking for that 6th number.
A. Ramos

Your lottery software is such a great lottery software program I can hardly think of anything to improve it.
Thanks again for a great lottery software.
Anthony

I think your lottery software is good, and I enjoy it. As I get better at using the available selections, my success continues to improve.
L. G.

I just downloaded the new lottery software update and it is really spectacular. It's so easy to use and the selection of pick choices adds so much flexibility for experimentation and comparison of results. The graphs are great and print well in color. I am running the 95/98 version on a Compaq Presario 486 with an AMD upgrade overdrive 133 Mhz chip and my machine and it handles all functions very fast.
Chelsee

Just registered my lottery software. I used it this weekend for the first time and after paying for the plays and the software I'm still $148.00 up.
Thanks for a great software

Goodday' Sherry and Jim.
I got 3 from 6 this week-end. Still only small winnings but your software is paid for from the total lottery winnings that I have had.
until later b.f.n.

I downloaded the trial version of your lottery software and then purchased the registered version. It does just what it is supposed to do. I had a 3/6 win the first time out. Now I am hoping for a 4/6 and a 5/6 win while I wait on the jackpot to come my way.
Tony

Love your lottery software!!!! I never won anything until I started using it.
Beth

I really enjoy your Lotto Buster lottery software. I will informing my friends how it is best lottery software going for lottery number picking and printing lottery tickets.
Claude

I have downloaded a bunch of lottery software and Lotto Buster is the only one I still use.
Tracy

I purchase your lottery software and really enjoy using it. I looked for quite a long time for a lottery software that worked and found it in Lotto Buster.
B Brown

We have a lot of fun playing lottery using Lotto Buster lottery software.
I WILL BE RICH $$$$$$$
Gerry

Great lottery software, cuts down the odds significantly, waiting to get a 6/6 win on California Super Lottery Plus.
Joe A.

The lottery software is great and customer service is the best on the net, take it from me.
Dominic

No other lottery software on market compares with Lotto Buster
Douglas

Great lottery software!!!! 'Nuf said.
Ken
Old 03-06-2007, 11:14 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

P.S. read through each of those testimonials, and even if your not probability-challenged, you'll probably have a fleeting thought of "Hey, maybe there's something to this."

No wonder people believe that managers can actively beat the market in the long run.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:26 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirJordan
You guys should seriously have a throw down with the people at Motley Fool, Fund Alarm, and M-Star, they all swear by actively managed funds, but hey 1 out of 4 ain't bad
AJ, all you need to do is to present some real data, not anecdotal, (though I do like T-Al's references!) to back up your claim.

Bring us something that can be discussed. Everything else is just a childish 'is-to.... is-not....' 'throw down'.

Bring us some data - we are listening. Show us you are even 1/10 as smart as you first claimed.

-ERD50
Old 03-06-2007, 01:43 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a theoretical question about indexing that has been bothering me for a while. Forgive me for using AirHead's troll thread to ask it.

Let's suppose that the entire world, bar none, decides that indexing is best, and everyone "buys the market" for all their investment needs, and never trades on market data, nor even watches the market data, etc., but only trades per their own (e.g. retirement) needs. Is it not possible that volatility in the markets would then be (1) smoothed substantially and (2) driven substantially by macro-economic forces (e.g. baby boomer's retirements, etc.) that are unrelated to market fundamentals? If this is true, what are the other ramifications? What percentage of all holdings are in broad index funds?

Thanks.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:50 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50

AFAIK, no Nobel laureates or other Economics PhD's have discovered it either.

-ERD50

Ummm... look at the DFA staff, I'm pretty sure they've "discovered" it