I Like Flowers

Lcountz

Recycles dryer sheets
I am starting to get Fall Dutch bulb catalogs in the mail, and I am looking forward to ordering and planting bulbs this fall, especially lillies, day lillies and tulips....and daffodils !!!!

After our LONG winter last winter, I want to assure some nice color when spring comes in 2015....!!!

Anyone else crazy about lillies?

I like both the lillium and day lillies, and for some reason, really like the basic orange roadside daylilly that grows like, and is, a weed here in Western PA....I have them growing all over!!!! They are deer proof too!

And the old fashioned orange with black spots Turks Cap lilly. I have a million of them too.!

To me they signify summer.

I spend WAY too much money on flowers!!!

When we bought our home in Denver it was in the winter. The former owner mentioned that there were tulips planted in the front flower beds. Was she ever right...that March we had over 300 tulips, daffodils, etc come up. A great way to start the spring.

Unfortunately we have missed them the last two years as we are in Az that time of year.

Day lilies are delicious. We would harvest the flower buds of wild ones and cook them like aparagus or green beans. Yummy!

Last edited:
Arizona is actually a great place to plant Iris!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I planted several hundred bulbs in my yard in Michigan, and moved before spring came.

About 15 years ago, I salvaged about 20 pounds of Wild Tiger Lily plants from a lot at our campground, where the owner was planting grass. Planted them in front of our lot as a continuous bush, 110 feet of flowers. Ever since then, up until this year, these perennials have bloomed and blossomed. This year, the extreme cold in the midwest had a devastating effect on so many trees and bushes, including my 30 year old evergreen bushes. The lilies survived, but as tiny plants and almost no flowers.
The blooms are usually short lived... a few weeks at most.
Hoping they'll recover for next year.

Attachments

• Tiger Lilies.jpg
    Tiger Lilies.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
I love animals, especially wildlife.

We bought a ten acre wooded lot about 33 years ago and built a house on it 31 years ago. We planted lots of bulbs. We had hundreds of tulips, about 1,000 day lilies, and about 5,000 daffodils of all stripes.

Had.

The squerls ate the tulips. They dug them up and ate them.

The deer ate ALL the lilies to the ground for about 4 years in a row.

We now have about 5,000 daffodils which I love. They are poisonous.

I love wildlife.

Mike D.

I know it's hard to deal with wildlife that eats flowers, but I keep hoping I will find the perfect deer-proof plant...!

So far....Day Lillies and daffodils seem to be it. Everything else, they eat. I cover my Lillium lillies with old sheer curtains at night ( they are near the patio) but that is a pain in the A****

But, when they DO survive and bloom, makes it all worth it!

Back
Top Bottom