Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I like when the market ends the week up
Old 11-06-2015, 09:46 AM   #1
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NYC
Posts: 52
I like when the market ends the week up

I know I'm in this stock market thing for the long haul and I've heard to only check things maybe every few months but when the week ends up for the averages I have a nice feeling that carries me through the weekend.
__________________

__________________
retiredinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2015, 10:39 AM   #2
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NYC
Posts: 52
From the look of things I'm going to have a less than wonderful weekend, everything is down
__________________

__________________
retiredinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:46 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.
UnrealizedPotential's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 573
Yes, everything is down. The market now thinks a rate hike will happen in December. It is effecting REITS big time and to a lesser degree other segments of the market. I think this too shall pass. The market knew this was coming. I do agree that we will see our first rate hike in December. Borrowing costs go up and that is why the market is in a sour mood.
__________________
Understanding both the power of compound interest and the difficulty of getting it is the heart and soul of understanding a lot of things. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:31 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 340
My equities are down. When the dollar is getting stronger we have less exports what is bad for economy. I have doubts about Feds hiking the rate this December.
__________________
VFK57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:32 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,514
You need to step away from the tape! If it drives your mood you will have a tough time staying the course.

Remember - all moves are temporary.

The is more to life than markets!
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:52 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Atlanta suburbs
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
You need to step away from the tape! If it drives your mood you will have tough time staying the course.

The is more to life than markets!
+1

Or OP can focus on the 281,000 jobs created in October (which will be revised of course). or the average hourly earnings up 9 cents, 2.5 % annual increase. There are many good things happening, or at the very least it's not all bad.
__________________
DEC-1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:48 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 191
Been trying to formulate a plan to move from 80% bonds/20% TIPs funds. In the meantime, we got slammed this week, especially today. The days of comfort and security of owning anything bond-related are long gone. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
__________________
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:07 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 260
It's back up now.

While I agree that this latest correction was expected, I am/was surprised at how long it lasted. Will be interesting to see where things go over the next 3-6 months..
__________________
doneat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:16 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.
Tailgate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 881
when I peek and it's down I just go over to FireCalc and run the numbers again to feel pretty damn good...works every time
__________________
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:13 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
robnplunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
Been trying to formulate a plan to move from 80% bonds/20% TIPs funds. In the meantime, we got slammed this week, especially today. The days of comfort and security of owning anything bond-related are long gone. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
How did you get into 80% bond in the 1st place? That's pretty unusual.
__________________
Pura Vida
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:41 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
How did you get into 80% bond in the 1st place? That's pretty unusual.
Back in the beginning of 2008, my wife and I decided we were risk averse and didn't like being the stock market. Looking back, it was more about not enjoying the volatility of the stock market and watching our accumulated "net worth" change so much on a daily basis.

So, with the Dow sitting at 13,000 in early May 2008, we pulled the trigger and transferred all of $550K sitting in our 401(k)s into bond funds. More specifically, the split was 60/40 total bond market fund/TIPs fund in my 401(k), and 60/40 Dodge & Cox Income/VG GMNA fund in my wife's 401(k). Balances at the start were pretty close.

Initially, this looked like a wise decision given what the stock market ended up doing late 2008 into mid 2010. Believe me, none of this had to do with market timing. It was mainly to be able to get to sleep at night. By the end of 2012, we made at least 7% annualized on the original $550K. We were still far ahead of where we would have been had we stuck with our original AA (~70/30).

As with most people not liking the volatility of the stock market, there was never a time to get back in. And with my layoff in late 2012 from a company I had worked for over 30 years, we didn't have much confidence in the economy (still don't to this day - the markets are being propped up, and it's not to the advantage of the small investor, in our opinions).

So, we are now (hopefully!) less than a year away from retirement (current date is Labor Day next year). I will be 57.5 and my wife will be approaching 64. Our tax deferred accounts totaled $1.23M coming into November. Given the past week, drop that to around $1.22M.

I feel we saved well, and honestly, the move out of stocks in May 2008 was probably really good for our health. Between my company being on perpetual layoff notice from late 2007 thru 2012 (and still to the present) and the passing of my mom during that time, it was great to not have to worry about losing our "net worth" in the stock market.

That isn't the case any more. My funds have performed poorly the past three years. My wife's have at least produced a positive return after inflation. I am in the process of transferring my 401(k) to my VG tIRA, as the last opportunity to rejoin the company dissipated last month. I need to rethink how I will invest my funds and whether to adjust my wife's.

Oh yeah, there's almost $1.1M cash sitting in a money market earning very little. We aren't hurting, but our plans from May 2008 have been blown out of the water by the way bond funds have performed so poorly in recent years. Where is the flight to safety now?!

Sorry about the rant.
__________________
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,905
Not everything is down! My Vanguard small cap value index is up. My wife's Fidelity Contra is up and the Mutual series funds did very well today...
__________________
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:01 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
Back in the beginning of 2008, my wife and I decided we were risk averse and didn't like being the stock market. Looking back, it was more about not enjoying the volatility of the stock market and watching our accumulated "net worth" change so much on a daily basis.

So, with the Dow sitting at 13,000 in early May 2008, we pulled the trigger and transferred all of $550K sitting in our 401(k)s into bond funds. More specifically, the split was 60/40 total bond market fund/TIPs fund in my 401(k), and 60/40 Dodge & Cox Income/VG GMNA fund in my wife's 401(k). Balances at the start were pretty close.

Initially, this looked like a wise decision given what the stock market ended up doing late 2008 into mid 2010. Believe me, none of this had to do with market timing. It was mainly to be able to get to sleep at night. By the end of 2012, we made at least 7% annualized on the original $550K. We were still far ahead of where we would have been had we stuck with our original AA (~70/30).

As with most people not liking the volatility of the stock market, there was never a time to get back in. And with my layoff in late 2012 from a company I had worked for over 30 years, we didn't have much confidence in the economy (still don't to this day - the markets are being propped up, and it's not to the advantage of the small investor, in our opinions).

So, we are now (hopefully!) less than a year away from retirement (current date is Labor Day next year). I will be 57.5 and my wife will be approaching 64. Our tax deferred accounts totaled $1.23M coming into November. Given the past week, drop that to around $1.22M.

I feel we saved well, and honestly, the move out of stocks in May 2008 was probably really good for our health. Between my company being on perpetual layoff notice from late 2007 thru 2012 (and still to the present) and the passing of my mom during that time, it was great to not have to worry about losing our "net worth" in the stock market.

That isn't the case any more. My funds have performed poorly the past three years. My wife's have at least produced a positive return after inflation. I am in the process of transferring my 401(k) to my VG tIRA, as the last opportunity to rejoin the company dissipated last month. I need to rethink how I will invest my funds and whether to adjust my wife's.

Oh yeah, there's almost $1.1M cash sitting in a money market earning very little. We aren't hurting, but our plans from May 2008 have been blown out of the water by the way bond funds have performed so poorly in recent years. Where is the flight to safety now?!

Sorry about the rant.
Dunno Statsman. looks to me like you have done pretty well turning your $550 K in your 401K in 2008 into $1.2 million today. After all, from January 2008 to October 2015 the S&P 500 with dividends reinvested gained only 77% so your $550K would have grown to $973K. Of course, I don't know how much you contributed to the 401K's during that period so the comparison may not be fair but all in all since you seem to have the magic touch, just keep doing what you are currently doing!
__________________
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:12 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
Not everything is down! My Vanguard small cap value index is up. My wife's Fidelity Contra is up and the Mutual series funds did very well today...
A small cap fund in my wife's 401k goes up 0.74% today, while a large cap fund is up 0.35%. This compares well with the S&P which is flat and Nasdaq which is up 0.38%.

Overall, I lost a bit of money because a utility fund is down -3.5% along with some material stocks. Similarly, bonds get hurt by the surety of Fed rate increase in December, but REITs got hurt the worst (I do not own any). One REIT is down more than -5%.
__________________

__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Approximately how much will my investment portfolio decline when bull market ends? nico08 FIRE and Money 32 06-03-2014 04:42 PM
What to do after COBRA ends ? theoldwizard Health and Early Retirement 2 05-27-2007 08:41 PM
Last week Coffee - This week donuts chinaco Other topics 23 05-20-2007 01:40 PM
Costs of some basic odds and ends cute fuzzy bunny Life after FIRE 43 03-08-2007 10:04 AM
Update week two of my 13 week sentence in Newark,NJ newguy88 Life after FIRE 14 09-17-2006 04:44 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:33 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.